Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thinking about family trips for this spring and would like to see Yellowstone with the wife and kids.
Would be driving and pulling a travel trailer. Thinking the week before Memorial Day, 22nd-30th.

West side good for access to the park and seeing the sights?
Better to stay in one spot or move camps?
Any suggestions or must do’s? Things to skip?
None of us have ever spent anytime in the park, only passed through the area.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mooner,

Tent camped with the wife and kids in the Lamar Valley (northern entrance through Gardiner) a couple times in early June and it was real brisk at night. Days were nice though. Camping in the park is so much better than the drive through thing. I'd do a couple moves because the park is big and you can explore from your camp.

If you asked my wife and kids, what they remember about YP, seeing stuff like Old Faithful would be way down the list. They enjoyed the seeing all the animals, hiking around, canoeing, fishing, and heck, in some cases, the people who were about as interesting as the critters.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Can't vouch for that date and access, but an acquaintance that lives close by says the earliest of openings is a great time to be there. She schooled in Bozeman and did a tour as early as possible each spring. Lots of winter kill and all manner of scavengers (wolves, coyotes, bear, ravens etc) exploiting the wealth. Most critters will look pretty rough though.

My suggestion is to leave the trailer in as central of a locale as possible (maybe Madison campground, but do explore other options), base from there, and devote an entire day to going N, S, E, and W directions. There are many short routes and loops that one cannot navigate while towing. Such are usually signed, and believe me, one should heed their warnings. Some are a tight squeeze for even a crew-cab long bed. Years ago, one could not let pets out of his rig. I think that has been relaxed a bit, but I'd still advise that one leave Fluffy at home.

Critter jams can be quite frustrating, as a squeaking pika can stop as much traffic as a bear.

If one sees notice of various evening programs, try to make some time, as they can be quite interesting with overviews and discussions on ecology, geology, etc. We mostly did camp type meals AM and midday, to be out and about with first light, and allowed ourselves a quality sit down meal in the evenings. Fine dining can be quite expensive.

Take all of ones optics, camera gear, and clothes for every imaginable condition. Do not, however, leave fine things exposed in ones rig if venturing off on an extended hike.

A day or two in the Jackson Hole/Tetons area can be quite rewarding too. Tourist traps? Yes, but they exist for a reason and we only live once.

Lastly, if anyone in your party possess a Golden Age card, for sure bring it along. Such will save one a ton of change.

Last edited by 1minute; 02/15/21.

1Minute
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M

Most everything in the park is drivable as a day trip. Leave early and return late. If it was me, I wouldn't move place to place unless you are there for more than a week

Just a few places to see and things to do:

1. Yellowstone falls
2. Dinner at Roosevelt lodge...fried chicken and ribs
3. Hire a guide or if you bring a boat, fish on Yellowstone lake
4. See ALL the hot springs.
5. Mammoth hot springs needs a full day
6. The bison
7. Drive slow...there is wildlife around every bend...

Everyone will want their own pair of binoculars. There is much to see!

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Camp at Half Moon campground at Big Timber Canyon, Crazy Mtns outside of Big Timber. Nice falls, trails and mountains with lakes goats wildlife. North of Big Timber is the Boulder River and it has a large stellar waterfall and camping spots. Theres also camping on the West Boulder road.

I lived close to Yellowstone and hate it. Hated the tourists and crowds and went there once orntwice. Dont care to return as theres nice things to visitnoutside the park.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Lamar Valley is my favorite part of the park. Lots of animals. Head up Ice Box Canyon and check out the Mountain Goats. Beartooth pass is awesome and I'd suggest putting it high on the list but May might be too early. The Grand Canyon of Yellowstone is really cool too, although it was closed last summer. The wifey loved Norris Geyser Basin the most.

Skip the Petrified Tree.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Thinking about family trips for this spring and would like to see Yellowstone with the wife and kids.
Would be driving and pulling a travel trailer. Thinking the week before Memorial Day, 22nd-30th.

[Linked Image from media.giphy.com]

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
If you are trying to access from West Yellowstone it would be wise to try and stay at Madison campground. BE PREPARED FOR BAD WEATHER. We had 18 inches of snow Memorial Day weekend one year. Fishing season does not open till Memorial Day. Dunraven Pass is still closed for the entire summer last I heard. That makes getting to the Lamar Valley a long day trip from West as you must go through Mammoth to get there. Lots of great places in the park any time of year. Too many to see in several weeks not to mention a few days. We have a substantial snow pack this year so there will still be some hanging around then. You're better off staying in one spot and day tripping to the different areas of the park. Grand Prismatic spring is a real treat but you're better off not trying to get the best view of it from its designated parking area. Better to drive one stop further south to the Ferry Falls parking area and walking about 500 yards back to the NW over the old freight road bridge to the trail that leads up the hill to a viewing area that lets you look down onto the hot spring. Probably the most beautiful sight in the park. Enjoy the park, there's no other place on the planet like it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The week before Memorial Day is great if you like to see a lot of snow -- most years, Also, I may be wrong, but I don't think the Park is open commercially by then.
Yellowstone Lake will still be frozen and the amazing Beartooth Pass doesn't open until Memorial Day weekend. I have planned on taking friends from out of state to the Park up and over the Pass, and it isn't open due to heavy snow. But if it is open then, you will be amazed at the beauty. Lots of snow, deep cuts through the snow, and frozen lakes.
I think most of the campgrounds will still be closed that early. But like 1 minute says park your trailer at several places ---out of the park preferably, and take different routes through the Park each day. Places like West Yellowstone, Gardiner, Cody, and Red Lodge are all entry points from all entrances to the Park. Each entrance has different scenery and number of animals etc. The Lamar Valley is the best place to see Wolves and Buffalo
Bring your cameras or cell phones and warm clothes.
I was practically raised in the Park and have never gotten tired of it. Not even the Buffalo and Bear Jams.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Memorial Day weekend will be jammed.

You might do well to camp somewhere near Pond's Lodge or Mack's Inn, and commute. Or maybe even St. Anthony.

A real out of the way part of the park is Cave Falls. Check the map, and you'll see why it doesn't get much traffic. There is camping available there.

Be not weary in well doing.
IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Higginez
Lamar Valley is my favorite part of the park. Lots of animals. Head up Ice Box Canyon and check out the Mountain Goats. Beartooth pass is awesome and I'd suggest putting it high on the list but May might be too early. The Grand Canyon of Yellowstone is really cool too, although it was closed last summer. The wifey loved Norris Geyser Basin the most.

Skip the Petrified Tree.

The Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone was only closed on the north side access. The south side was open as usual and the north side was open by October, the last time I was over to that side of the park. The Park Service rebuilt the access trails and parking lots on the north side over a couple year period. It's very nicely done.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks for the feedback, all.

Was thinking the week before the holiday might be decent weather wise and get a few days in before holiday crowds.

Where we stay I’m sure will be heavily dependent on what is available. The Kung flu seems to have kicked campground reservations into overdrive.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by MadMooner

[Linked Image from media.giphy.com]

Lol. What the fugk is Kanye trying to say?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I took the fam there 2 years ago just to knock it off the list. Things to skip... that lame ass restaurant where all the elk are corralled in front of. Things to do... $hit everyday behind the lezbos tent next to your campsite. They have bathrooms but like the rest of the country, if you can $hit outside you can feel better about where you are. It’s a zoo and a circus all in one but you should check it off your list.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I rode across it on a bicycle from West Yellowstone and out of the park over Sylvan Pass to Cody in July of ‘19.

On an bicycle you’re a hiker/biker and don’t need reservations to camp in the campgrounds but I was given to understand that the regular vehicle campers had made reservations like a year in advance.

Old Faithful is worth seeing to check off the list but the food in the crowded restaurant was awful.

The night before going in to the park I stayed at the KOA in West Yellowstone, got lucky in getting a spot w/out a reservation, it was packed.

The advice to hide your valuables is a good one, I got out of a grocery store in West Yellowstone to find some druggie-looking guy casing my stuff.

Dunno what direction you’re heading but Cody, maybe 50 miles East of the park is definitely with a look

Last edited by Birdwatcher; 02/16/21.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Did the drive through the north end over the Christmas season. Very nice. Saw lots of bison, elk, three wolves and a fox.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
If you have time I would check out Cody. Honeymooned there 25 years ago. The Buffalo Bill Museum is awesome. Check out Irma Hotel and Liver Eating Johnstons grave as well. Allow lots of time. We like the north end of the park the best. Buy the book "Death in Yellowstone" and use it as a guide. My wife was a flight nurse in the early 2000s and flew into the park regularly. She recommends bear spray, as she flew a mauling out of Grand Teton. Lots to see in Grand Teton Park. Jenny Lake, etc. The Island Park/West Yellowstone area is fun too, Quake Lake, Hebgen Lake, Henrys Lake opens for fishing on Memorial Day weekend. A hiker got mauled at the outlet last spring. Harriman State Park is worth a visit. Good places to eat are Ponds Lodge and The Happy Hour.

A word to the wise Memorial weekend is a zoo. Half the state of Utah is up here. Might want to wait a week or 2 and hit it in early June. Allow for more winter to leave as well. Dress warm and bring binos, spotters and cameras.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Did someone say the weather will likely be uninviting? Depending on the year, there may not be any calves yet.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
It might not even be open by then.

Camp is where you make it.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Lonny
Mooner,

Tent camped with the wife and kids in the Lamar Valley (northern entrance through Gardiner) a couple times in early June and it was real brisk at night. Days were nice though. Camping in the park is so much better than the drive through thing. I'd do a couple moves because the park is big and you can explore from your camp.

If you asked my wife and kids, what they remember about YP, seeing stuff like Old Faithful would be way down the list. They enjoyed the seeing all the animals, hiking around, canoeing, fishing, and heck, in some cases, the people who were about as interesting as the critters.

I would agree 100% with this. Old Faithful is way down my list of "cool" things at Yellowstone as well. There is sooooo much more to YNP than OF.

Camp is where you make it.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

158 members (2UP, 338reddog, 35, 44mc, 007FJ, 16 invisible), 1,501 guests, and 893 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,600
Posts18,454,582
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.