Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Where do you stand on taxes, nd pension with a dual citizenship?

My wife and I have thought of getting a second house somewhere in Canada. My pension wouldn't be affected except that my health insurance wouldn't be valid. I haven't been able to find the information on what it would cost in Canada, seeing as how we're retired.

GB1

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
I knew a man that beat it to International Falls with his ill wife to get in a US hospital. A 2 1/2 hour drive.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
R
R
In most cases (not all) the US does NOT recognize duel citizenship. It is something that you would need to check, but it is possible if becoming a Canadian citizen you would lose your US citizenship. Check it out!

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Rancocas
In most cases (not all) the US does NOT recognize duel citizenship. It is something that you would need to check, but it is possible if becoming a Canadian citizen you would lose your US citizenship. Check it out!

Sorry, wrong. It is a common myth though.

"U.S. law does not mention dual nationality or require a person to choose one nationality or another. A U.S. citizen may naturalize in a foreign state without any risk to his or her U.S. citizenship" this text is from:

US State Department LINK

John

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K

You can be a dual citizen of the US and Canada....my wife and I are. Citizenship does little for inexpensive hunting opportunity, as it's all about residency, and you are only a resident of one state or province or territory at any given time. I really appreciate the hunting opportunities being a resident of BC, $60 tag to go hunt Stone sheep, less than half that for a Mt Caribou or Moose tag. Overall 15 huntable species of big game here, and grizzly makes 16 if we ever get hunting them back. Probably the most huntable species in North America.

We have to do US and Canadian taxes as we have income in both countries. The tax treaties are complicated and typically require using a tax accountant ($$).

Last edited by Kurt52; 02/16/21.
IC B2

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S

My gf is Canadian but teaches at WWU in Bellingham, WA. She decided a few years ago to get US citizenship but wanted to retain her Can. one as well. Try as she might, she could not get a straight answer from anyone, aside from paying an immigration lawyer $400.... Anyway, on the day she was sworn in as a US citizen, she asked the woman who was examining her and was told, "Technically no, but we don't worry about it with Canadians." So she stll has a valid Canadian passport as well as her US one.

In my case, I was born in Canada but 20 years ago I found out my biological father was born in rural Kentucky in 1903 and when he was still very young the family upped sticks and moved to Saskatchewan. (I recently was told by a neighbour with a similar background that just before the Great War, Canada was looking for farmers and said, "C'mon in!" So they did.) Apparently my father never took out Canadian citizenship, so I suppose that might be useful if I were to up my sticks and move to Bellingham.

Thr really fascinating thing about my father's family was that he was the last of 10 children. His parents - my paternal grandparents - were born during the Civil War! (1862 & 1864) and married in 1880!

Canada: Everything from Eh to Zed.
S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
fascinating

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
I may have read it here. Don't volunteer your dual citizenship. If they ask, tell them.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Apparently things are not as harmonious betwixt the cousins as they once were. I have good friends, lifelong residents of Alaska, that come outside every winter for a few weeks. They prefer to drive through Canuckia just because they are not fond of the ferry. They tell me they have never experienced hostility to the level they encountered in their trip this year. Getting flipped off is the least of things they experienced. Their pickup paintjob was gouged while parked, they had a couple episodes of aggressive "chicken" driving stunts...fuel stops got to be stressful. Bad enough to ride the ferry back up next month. Too bad. Maybe they see an old couple as super spreaders of the plague.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

Originally Posted by flintlocke
Apparently things are not as harmonious betwixt the cousins as they once were. I have good friends, lifelong residents of Alaska, that come outside every winter for a few weeks. They prefer to drive through Canuckia just because they are not fond of the ferry. They tell me they have never experienced hostility to the level they encountered in their trip this year. Getting flipped off is the least of things they experienced. Their pickup paintjob was gouged while parked, they had a couple episodes of aggressive "chicken" driving stunts...fuel stops got to be stressful. Bad enough to ride the ferry back up next month. Too bad. Maybe they see an old couple as super spreaders of the plague.

sounds like goonie is better served staying put for a while longer

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
flintlocke;
Good morning to you sir, I hope that this second last Sunday in February is looking to be a decent one for you and that all in your world are well.

It's difficult to know where exactly to begin addressing your post, but an apology on behalf of my misinformed and pathetically paranoid countrymen will be first - so I am sorry they were treated that way.

Not that it makes it any better whatsoever, but the same mentality exists between provinces now so vehicles with out of province plates have been reported vandalized across the country.

This is nothing short of media fueled madness - and I mean the term as lunacy, nuts, stupid beyond recognition here.

The fact that many of the people actually live here but have vehicles plated from other places for their own reasons does not occur to the Mensa candidates.

Then there's the whole mathematical improbability of catching anything from anyone at an outdoor gas pump, but again that's apparently not taken into account.

Honestly besides an apology I have not much of substance to offer your friends. We don't all feel that way for sure, but that's small comfort to them at this juncture and I get that too.

Our governments of all branches and their respective propaganda arms in the media have done an incredible job, I'll give them that... I just wish I was wrong when I say that.

All the best to you all.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by sse

Originally Posted by flintlocke

sounds like goonie is better served staying put for a while longer

I read about that. Wasn't that in Victoria on Vanc. Island? And it just heppened again here (just outside Vancouver, B.C) In this case the couple were Canadians living in the US, so had US plates:

A car with Washington state license plates was targeted in an act of vandalism across the border in Canada. Even though the car was owned by British Columbia citizens, police said in a release they believe the U.S. plates triggered the crime.

Royal Canadian Mounted Police in Ridge Meadows, B.C. — just east of Coquitlam — are investigating the incident in which the car had its tires slashed with a 12-year-old girl alone inside.

“There are a number of reasons why people in Canada can legally have out-of-province plates on their car,” Constable Julie Klaussner said in the release. “While this vehicle did have Washington plates these victims are authorized to be in Canada and are Canadian citizens.

“It is important not to draw conclusions based on what we think we know and, in this case, a young girl has been traumatized and a car has been vandalised (sic).”

The reported incident occurred at approximately 4:45 p.m. Monday, Feb. 15, when a Canadian family went for a walk in the 17000 block of Rannie Road near a local dyke walking area, according to the release. While the family was walking, the parents left their 12-year-old daughter in the vehicle, which was left along the side of the road.

Shortly after the family left, an unknown man approached, yelled expletives and slashed the tires on the driver’s side, before leaving the area in his own car.

RCMP investigators are asking for witnesses to the incident or dash camera footage that may have caught it.

Canada: Everything from Eh to Zed.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

There's only two countries that tax their citizens no matter where they live on urth. The good old USA is one of them. Canada is not the other.

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by RufusG

There's only two countries that tax their citizens no matter where they live on urth. The good old USA is one of them. Canada is not the other.

used to be that the US taxed out-of-country earners at the prevailing rate of the host country, but this may no longer be the case

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
BC30 Dwayne, You, as the paragon of civility and intelligent discourse on this here 'fire, are totally immune from hard feelings about any actions of a few mis- informed jackasses. Don't even think for a second, anybody would tie a gentleman to a jackass. Political boundaries have nothing to do with it either. It's just the first time it's reared it's ugly head. Our family is deeply tied to the Lillooet area, fine, fine people.
It's ironic, that I received identical treatment in Idaho last summer while helping my daughter with painting and flooring, with California plates on my pickup. Next trip to town, I took her pickup.
regards, Paul

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
flintlocke;
Thanks for the reply, kind words and understanding Paul, I appreciate it.

Honestly I wish I could say I was surprised at your issues in Idaho, but have heard that from BC folks passing through to Alberta and vice versa.

The idiocy truly is that I've got a buddy who teaches power linemen all over North America, so he crosses the border weekly, flying all over - as he should might I add - and along with other folks who've been declared essential.

We've got semi-trucks crossing daily from California to supply us with Romaine, celery and peppers - and that's just fine and wonderful - but let that recalcitrant trucking fiend dare come here in an SUV or passenger car, well prepare the tar and I'll search for feathers, you know?

Again, the intriguing thing to me - for lack of a more despondent term - is that when I put that to folks - as in how can the same person be fine crossing the border with vehicle X, but an enemy of my health in vehicle Y, I'm told that I'm not taking this seriously and that I should, "follow the science".

At that juncture Paul, I've begun to politely disconnect because "follow the science" is true believer code speak for "you must now agree with everything I say"....

Anyways sir, perhaps through civil discourse and reason we can right the course, let's hope and pray for that as our first and best option shall we?

All the best to you folks and thanks again.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
yup, early on when people were going up to there cottages to get away, some locals were pretty callous about it on social media

Last edited by sse; 02/21/21.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
You should stay home.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
You should stay home.

Probably not a bad idea.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

98 members (338reddog, 257_X_50, 808outdoors, AB2506, 19rabbit52, 338Rules, 12 invisible), 1,541 guests, and 951 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,718
Posts18,457,116
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.