Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Didn’t lose it here yet either, don’t know why.

Must be a politician living nearby.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The power has not went off here. An absolute miracle. Our power usually goes off if the sun goes behind a cloud.

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
De Flave, The power outages in Calif the last few years have nothing to do with generating or grid capacity. They are the result of poorly maintained lines and rights of way in areas of heavy dry vegetation...when high winds and fire danger is predicted, the grids are shut down to prevent catastrophic wildfires. On very rare occasions, during extreme heatwaves, mostly southern Calif, suffers from brownouts due to high demand. Wind could provide 6% of Calif power, but for some reason on any given day, the windmills have the blades feathered and are shut down??

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
And just in case they weren't screwing you enough, they've decided to bust out a bowling pin....If you have power, prepare to have your rates jacked.

https://www.kvue.com/article/news/l...269-53ab63e2-8dcf-4485-8b9b-be6ad75316b4

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

Rolling blackouts are all over the region right now. The power price is through the roof and no one wants to risk going off line. It’s safer to schedule controlled blackout out than it is to burn something up and go down long term.

Coal has been on the decline for years. That has removed the ‘peaker’ response for the grid in times of high demand. There will never be enough predictable wind to supply base load. This problem has been brewing for some time. The raw truth is our infrastructure is old and not ready for any extreme. We are definitely not ready for ‘green power’ even if the production capacity was there.

Right now, $$$ is the motivational factor for the controlled blackouts. Green rage is just manufactured in this instance.

Always remember, you comfort and safety are secondary to the dollar bill.

“Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.”
― Ernest Hemingway
IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Just got power back after 32 hours. From 2 AM Monday morning until 10 AM today. Near the Woodlands, TX north of Houston. Still just 18 degrees with bright sun outside. Streets are like skating rinks....

So much for wind turbines picking up the slack per the Green New Deal.. Our outage was a planned rolling blackout event in case power stations failed. They did.

Hopefully the power stays.

It's official. I missed the selfie deadline so I'm Maser's sock puppet because rene and the Polish half of the fubar twins have decided that I am.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ μολὼν λαβέ
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
It’s too bad something like this didn’t happen in the DC area instead of flyover country. Be nice for DC to deal with some reality and the consequences of their actions for once.

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I’m 20 miles from a wind farm in Wadsworth, 10 miles west of there is a nuclear power plant. 10 miles to my east is a huge LNG ( liquid natural gas) facility. I’m sitting in the dark with no power. Someone’s head should roll.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by louiethedrifter
I’m sitting in the dark with no power. Someone’s head should roll.

ALL their heads should roll.

But they will get raises and promotions instead, for "getting us all through this emergency"....

You know, like Cuomo helped NY...

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
30 minutes on and 30 minutes off currently. Guess I should count myself fortunate as others are going an extended amount of time without power. Texans sure as hell aren't prepared and equipped for this type of weather for this amount of time. Usually we get some ice or a dusting of snow and by lunchtime it's all but a memory!

IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
They are turning ours on for 20 minutes and then off for 30 minutes to an hour
About 50 degrees in the house.

Have some friends that have been without power for 36-48 hours

Internet has been down here for 24 hours
Cable TV down for 24 hours also

There is no firewood to be had.
Fortunately I had a pretty good pile but have burned over 1/2 cord and getting low
Started cutting up scrap lumber yesterday
1 lb bottles of propane? Nonexistent

Heads need to roll 😡

Your mind is your primary weapon. Never let it get rusty.

Endowment Member NRA
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
The power brokers are making huge money right now selling to the pool.

You better be up and running to supply your contract. That is why there are rolling blackouts where the grid is still intact. Hell, they have even shut down maintenance activities that could reduce production right now.

This is a pure $$$ play.

“Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.”
― Ernest Hemingway
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by victoro
My son lives in Pflugerville and they lost power to their water treatment plant and have no water at all at their home. Their power company Oncor says they have no idea when they'll get the power back on at the plant.

For a town of 65k + folks, it's asinine they don't have a backup generator. Hopefully this is a wake up call.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by fburgtx
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Brown_Power_Plant

ERCOT found the two-unit Big Brown plant was "not required to support ERCOT transmission system reliability", and authorized its closure by February 12, 2018.[14]

ERCOT has been in on the closure of 19 Texas coal powered plants since 2018, that wind energy is some cold stuff around here lately.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

F
fburgtx Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
F
Well, well...

Not only did ERCOT “ok” the closure of about 3GW of production capacity, but the old plants have been “sold” to a company that’s probably maybe gonna shut down the public access to the parks/lakes by them, as well. Monti may be ok, not sure if they bought the land around Fairfield Lake... A real win/win for the homeowners/fishermen/campers of Texas....🙄

https://texasfishingforum.com/forum...lo-and-big-brown-plants-purchased-by-clp

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
They close plants, they can raise prices, sounds like a fair deal for consumers. Get prices up, reopen shuttered plants.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by flintlocke
De Flave, The power outages in Calif the last few years have nothing to do with generating or grid capacity. They are the result of poorly maintained lines and rights of way in areas of heavy dry vegetation...when high winds and fire danger is predicted, the grids are shut down to prevent catastrophic wildfires. On very rare occasions, during extreme heatwaves, mostly southern Calif, suffers from brownouts due to high demand. Wind could provide 6% of Calif power, but for some reason on any given day, the windmills have the blades feathered and are shut down??

I would bet my mothers false teeth that the fires are started by the have nots.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
As far as people here wondering why the Wind Producers going off-line in the winter and not in the summer when usage between the two times are roughly the same during peak, it isn't simply the cold that is the problem. It's the ice build up on the wind vanes. The diameter of that much spinning mass being that imbalanced with uneven ice buildup will destroy the rotating mass in very short order. Only answer is stop rotation and de-ice vanes. The principle of balanced rotating mass and ice build up has been a problem since the beginning of time with rotating air moving vane props be it cooling tower fans, Wind Generating Turbines or anything else such as this. If someone here has a fix for this, they are sitting on a Goldmine. Believe me, the Wind Turbine operators will pay you what ever you want for that fix. I've worked at a 1640MW Generating plant for 20 years. We still use coal fired boilers at our plant, but the company use Combined Technology Turbines, Solar Grids and Hydro plants also. We have stayed away from Wind Turbines to this point because the massive failure self destruct tendencies of vanes in our climate here in KY. That is why they are in Texas and West Coast more so than East Coast. And as far as Coal plants being Peaking Plants, ain't gonna happen. It takes three days to get a cold boiler up to 1000 degrees Fahrenheit and 2500 psi without destroying it. Our boiler tubes grow about 12" in 14 stories of height and our high presser part or the turbine grows over six inches in length and slides on a sliding base to accommodate that. Spinning sections have to be aligned "cold" as much as .250" vertically to accommodate growth in height between turbines and generators when fully "heat" saturated. The Grid Management Alphabet agencies that oversee the grid day to day operations is almost Nazi oriented in power. Unbelievable how much power they have grown into, we hardly have any say in planning maintenance and outages anymore because of the way the Grid is managed now.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
FERC

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

100 members (5sdad, 673, 406_SBC, 444Matt, 7mm_Loco, 450yukon, 13 invisible), 2,203 guests, and 786 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,173
Posts18,465,381
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.