24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Back in 83, we had several weeks of freezing weather around 5, this crap didn't happen back then, might have been a few who lost power due to trees falling on lines. The big issue back then was burst water lines, hell the bay here in corpus froze over partially killing millions of fish.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by deflave
That's some great fugkin' journalism.

"There's no power."

Well no fugking schit there's no power. WHY is there no fugking power?

And don't tell me those fugkin' windmills froze because that's a bunch of horse schit.

Wind, gas, coal and nuke plants are all under producing. Wind turbines were supposedly “not properly winterized”, whatever TF that’s supposed to mean. Gear oil too thick?

Gas, coal and Nuke plants are all reporting problems getting enough cooling water through their systems due to freezing issues. That came from Main stream media, so take it from what it’s worth.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by stxhunter
Back in 83, we had several weeks of freezing weather around 5, this crap didn't happen back then, might have been a few who lost power due to trees falling on lines. The big issue back then was burst water lines, hell the bay here in corpus froze over partially killing millions of fish.

Roger, it isn't necessarily the cold weather. It's the precipitation such as frozen ice that is the problem. We get cold weather a lot without much humidly in the air in the form of freezing rain, sleet and snow. Probably wasn't as dependent on Wind Turbines in '83 either.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Same here. I just got back from the marsh. The birds are going crazy trying to get to all the dead and dying fish under the ice.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Dutch
Originally Posted by deflave
That's some great fugkin' journalism.

"There's no power."

Well no fugking schit there's no power. WHY is there no fugking power?

And don't tell me those fugkin' windmills froze because that's a bunch of horse schit.

Wind, gas, coal and nuke plants are all under producing. Wind turbines were supposedly “not properly winterized”, whatever TF that’s supposed to mean. Gear oil too thick?

Gas, coal and Nuke plants are all reporting problems getting enough cooling water through their systems due to freezing issues. That came from Main stream media, so take it from what it’s worth. The water makeup is "Free" from the river source usually. That's why most Coal Fired Generation Plants are build next to rivers.

We have less problems with the cooling water in the winter than the summer. That is because the cooling water is recirculated and not able to recover from the heat load in the summer in the cooling towers. This produces back pressure in the condensers and doesn't allow us to push as much steam thru the turbines. 2500 psi of steam entering the high pressure side of turbine exits the condenser at -29.9 inches of vacuum on a good day in a closed loop. The make up water for this cooling loop is "Free" from the river usually. That is why Coal Fired Generation Plants are usually built next to rivers. Water for firing is a different story, very highly processed to keep from particle blasting the turbine blades at 2500psi.

IC B2

DMc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The idea of a rolling power outage is asinine. 30 minutes on and 30 minutes off. Without heat it takes longer to reheat your home once the heat is reactivated, so the result is only 15-20 minutes of warmth.

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Woohoo just hit 33 here!!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by kaywoodie

Gonna have to get a lot warmer than that with the wind chill factor of those turbine blades spinning to thaw the ice off those Wind Turbines.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
We finally got the juice on here in SATX....thank God for our wood stove....but still no water....

Illegitimi non carborundum

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ChuckKY

Gonna have to get a lot warmer than that with the wind chill factor of those turbine blades spinning to thaw the ice off those Wind Turbines.

Come again?

Sic Semper Tyrannis
IC B3

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K

There a long way from here.

Founder

WS

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Dutch

Come again?

kaywoodie is happy it's warming up in Texas because he too is part of the rolling power outages. 33 degrees Fahrenheit isn't going to keep the ice off of those Turbine Blades when they start spinning again.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Don’t worry. That 33 didn’t last long. Dropping again!

Oh well more snow and sleet for tonight! Had to go to town today for wifes meds. She been out since saturday. What a freak show that was!!! Madhouse. Line all way around store!!!! Let me in for pharmacy and I was out of there. Pure pandemonium with their EBT card!!!

Founder

WS

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by EdM
And yet folks like cheap gasoline...
”The Texas winter storm may drive up gasoline prices across the country.”

https://apple.news/A79XBC5d0R4ybBuI_HpAFQA

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Haven't had my power off, maybe because I'm not that far from a substation and the main power lines run right behind my house.

That's what I thought.

Until about 9pm last night. wink

We are less than 5 miles from a coal/electric power plant.

I could here it running when the power went off.

The electric co-op here stated yesterday that they were instructed against their will to shut customer zones down. They said they had no choice but to do so.

The ERCOT idiots are the ones that need to be decorating the power poles. mad

Yep. Those ERCOT Fuggers need stung up. Now!!!

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by antlers
Originally Posted by EdM

It would stay cheap if Trump were still in office, as would insulin prices.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Originally Posted by antlers
Originally Posted by EdM

It would stay cheap if Trump were still in office, as would insulin prices.
Agreed. But some people think there is nothing better than high priced gasoline.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by DMc
The idea of a rolling power outage is asinine. 30 minutes on and 30 minutes off. Without heat it takes longer to reheat your home once the heat is reactivated, so the result is only 15-20 minutes of warmth.

They are doing 2 hours on and two hours off here David.
It really sucks! Like you said, it’s beyond stupid.

Time to get a rope for those in charge at ERCOT! 😡

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Could rolling blackouts be the new normal all over America? If the libs get their way that'll be the case.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Welcome to the "Green" freeze. I can't believe coal or gas fired power plants go down in cold weather. Windmills I can believe. Many gas fired plants are just jet engines using natural gas instead of jet fuel. The front intake has the main shaft turning a generator. Sometime the exhaust waste heat is used to fire up a boiler for more production.

Best to have a gas space heater or gas logs for heating, gas stove for cooking (you can turn on the top burners and light with a match when power is out, but not use the oven), and a gas water heater. Whether propane or natural gas. Either is better when the power is out. Also a wood burning stove. They are more efficient than a fireplace and if you get a flat top one, you can cook on it. This is what people are going to do with the "Green New Deal", use their own alternative fuel.

Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
717 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 1234, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 65 invisible), 3,126 guests, and 1,292 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,745
Posts18,401,279
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.