Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Hey folks, looking to add a night vision scope to my collection. Going to use it for coyotes and varmints, I borrowed a rifle from a friend one night as he has a couple AR's set up for coyotes, it was a ATN but I don't remember the model. The only issue I saw is keeping the battery going in the cold, I'd like to stay around $1,000 if I can. Any recommendations?

BP-B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Sharpshooter97
Hey folks, looking to add a night vision scope to my collection. Going to use it for coyotes and varmints, I borrowed a rifle from a friend one night as he has a couple AR's set up for coyotes, it was a ATN but I don't remember the model. The only issue I saw is keeping the battery going in the cold, I'd like to stay around $1,000 if I can. Any recommendations?

I can offer some information on the subject for you.

First piece of advice is to not buy an ATN. Customer service sucks. They won't stand behind their products. Failures are the norm with them.

Not saying they can't make a decent device, just saying there are better out there. wink

A good choice for entry level is the Sightmark Wraith. It's a decent daylight/night vision scope. https://outdoorlegacygear.com/colle...igital-riflescope?variant=15986263326794

Get a better IR light, and mount the forward if you can. When you shoot, the gun smoke can give temporary white out through the scope because the light picks up the smoke.

Here's an example of daytime use.

And night time use.

Both videos were made through the Wraith. It has video capability, but no audio. Both distances were about 100 yards.

I really don't care for the IR light that comes with the Wraith. A great replacement light is Sniper Hog Lights... the 66LRX. You can see out to 800 yards depending on conditions (humidity, light focus, etc.) https://sniperhoglights.com/66lrx-rifle-light-1-color/

I'd get the "kit" with all the mounting and control options and batteries and charger.

With the Wraith, you see better through the scope than it records video. I think this is true of most all night vision devices that record video. They make a Wraith 4k that may offer a bit better picture, but I don't think it's $300 more better.

Be Careful!

Night vision, thermal, and hunting at night is a rabbit hole you can go down! smile

First it's a Wraith. Then it's another one.... Then it's thermal! Then it's a suppressor... and on and on... laugh

Lately have been hunting with a Bering Super Hogster thermal.

The link I posted above with Outdoor Legacy is a great place to start. They are good guys that know their stuff, and will always do right by you.

As a side note, I may be selling one of my Wraith setups. Mostly because I'm looking at getting another thermal to put on that rifle. (See? I told you it was a rabbit hole...) If interested, PM me, and I'll fix you up.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
So the Wraith with a better light is decent, eh?

I've got a 300BO Ruger American with a can on it.......

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by goalie
So the Wraith with a better light is decent, eh?

I've got a 300BO Ruger American with a can on it.......

Yes!

The light makes all the difference in the world!

Two things about a good light... really there's three.

1) Ability to focus the beam of light to the center of your viewing screen.

There's cheap ripoff Chinese lights out there that have mounts that do not allow the light to be pointed anywhere but the set ridged position of the mount. It is very important to be able to point the light to the point of aim of the scope, then tighten the mount. If you can't do that, you'll be left in the dark with your viewer.

2) Ability to go from spot to flood with the IR light beam.

Spot for brighter focused light at long distances, flood for a more even, wider field of view when up close.

3) Ability to dim and brighten the IR light.

This is important when hunting in brush, trees, through fences, etc. High humidity as well.

A decent light should have all the above!

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Have you had a chance to look at the 4-32X Wraith? Bunny sniping in the dark seems it'd be a good time

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Rockinbar, what thermal is decent for hog hunting?

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Have you had a chance to look at the 4-32X Wraith? Bunny sniping in the dark seems it'd be a good time

That's what my two Wraiths are.

Good for coons as well! grin

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Esox357
Rockinbar, what thermal is decent for hog hunting?

Man!

The thermal market is exploding!

Personally, I have and love the Bering Optics Super Hogster. (They are usually on backorder, but Bering seems to get them to the dealers pretty quick, so the wait time isn't horrible)

https://outdoorlegacygear.com/produ...ermal-rifle-scope?variant=32508616540234

Your thermal choices are only limited by your checkbook.

The Super Hogster I use, can easily identify animals at several hundred yards. That's important.

Some people like more definition to the optic. But it comes with a price. eek

Several guys I know are getting these IRay thermals...

https://outdoorlegacygear.com/produ...ermal-rifle-scope?variant=32652128288842

Great scope and terrific picture definition. But you could have two Super Hogsters for the price of one of them.

Getting another Super Hogster myself. I'm very satisfied with the scope and picture quality.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Solid advice from Barry.

I have both Wraith models (2-16X and 4-32X) as well as an AGM 25mm thermal. A Pulsar Thermion XM30 is currently on backorder with Outdoor Legacy (good guys to talk with) and looking forward to giving it a try (does not have an objective focus so we'll see how that works out).

Enjoy using both digital NV and thermal....it's addicting and a rabbit hole for sure. The IR light upgrade as Barry mentioned made a big difference (sniperhog light 50LRX my case as well as the headlamp). Pig perforating in the night is fun.

IC B3

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Comparison of Wraith 2-16 to 4x32? Photon 4.5?

I haven’t messed with many of the lower end NV scopes, but looking for some less expensive stuff for shooting, but still scanning with thermal.

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Thanks!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the info

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by hh4whiskey

I haven’t messed with many of the lower end NV scopes, but looking for some less expensive stuff for shooting, but still scanning with thermal.

No experience with the Photon but the Wraith 2-16X fit my needs better compared to the 4-32X based on field of view. Both work great though.

I use a low-resolution thermal monocular for scanning and that has been the tits.

A person can spend big $$$; I've stayed on the low side and have been happy. Some of the high dollar thermal stuff is impressive.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 32_20fan

No experience with the Photon but the Wraith 2-16X fit my needs better compared to the 4-32X based on field of view. Both work great though.

I use a low-resolution thermal monocular for scanning and that has been the tits.

A person can spend big $$$; I've stayed on the low side and have been happy. Some of the high dollar thermal stuff is impressive.

I have one of those as well.

Mine's most useful for walking/stalking.

If we are driving around looking for something to shoot out in the fields, it's not very good.

I plan on using a second Super Hogster for scanning and leave the other mounted on a rifle.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I see a Wraith in my future. 😃

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by 32_20fan

Thanks....I was thinking the 2-16 would be a more useful range of magnification for me, but wasn’t sure on gain with the 28 vs 50mm lens?

I run a high end clip on thermal as a scanner and sight, (it’s something I’ll have to part with down the road, and buy another to keep) but was looking towards running a dedicated NV sight, and mostly scanning with a thermal, as you alluded to.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Yes.

I need to get rockinbbar's address so's I can bill him for the Wraith he's talked me into buying... grin

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va

Yes.

I need to get rockinbbar's address so's I can bill him for the Wraith he's talked me into buying... grin

LOL

laugh

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Tag

Why the crazy magnification on thermals? If a 2-10 normal scope works for hunting deer in the daylight why do I need 16 or 32x to hunt pigs at night?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
606 members (12344mag, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 12308300, 160user, 17CalFan, 53 invisible), 2,702 guests, and 1,153 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,737
Posts18,401,102
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.