Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by clockwork_7mm_gator
Originally Posted by leftycarbon
Asked the same questions for my daughter who is just getting back into hunting after taking a few years off with babies, school, etc.

She had used my .308 but didn't like it much.

We bought a 6.5 Creedmore the Weatherby Women's version built on a Howa action. Camile I think

Fits her perfectly. Recoil is not a issue. I bought her 500 rounds of ammo when she got it and she has burned though 300 or so. Saving brass so I can reload them

Fit is everything. With that recoil is much less of a issue.

Lefty

Random question: I've read that the Camille's stock is shaped to fit a woman... but have you shouldered it? Would it also work well for a 11-12 year old boy?

You might want to ask stick..

No thanks. He isn't my favorite (has been ignore for months), but based on what I've gathered from others posting, what happened with his kid was awful and I wouldn't wish it on anyone or make light of it.

GB1

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by MarineHawk
If it's going to be an "all purpose" rifle, it need to be able to take large and medium game, but also put down an entire platoon of Antifa thugs in less than ten seconds. .308:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

When is the boating accident?

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
Originally Posted by MarineHawk
If it's going to be an "all purpose" rifle, it need to be able to take large and medium game, but also put down an entire platoon of Antifa thugs in less than ten seconds. .308:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

When is the boating accident?

Have to wait for all the ice to thaw.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
The quickest way to get someone into shooting is by not parking them behind something like a 30'06... I suffered a 30'06 for years and finally realized it brought nothing to the table. Kicks the crap out of you for no reason. A lot more fun shooting medium cartridges, especially for deer. My go to gun now is a 6.5×55, and bought my son a 6.5 Creed. Flame away...

This, in spades .....

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L

Clockwork,

The stock is very slender in the fore arm and grip. It also has a lot of drop. I have to kinda scrunch down to get behind the scope and actuates recoil.

13"LOP. Fits her and my wife.

I would think your son would outgrow it quickly.

Lefty

cloclwork,

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
If you want him to shoot more, buy him a 223 to hunt deer with. If you want him to be a loony buy him a .222. My logic is that after hunting and killing deer with a centerfire 22 for a few years he'll learn to think of the 257 Roberts as his heavy rifle for elk and bear. He'll never want a magnum, he'll be an absolute dead eye crack shot, and you'll save him all the heartache the rest of us went through searching for the Holy Grail big game rifle.

He'll just cleanly murder animals with a mild recoiling lightweight rifle. If we could all be so blessed.

LOL
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
SCHITfan,

Slooooowwwwwwwww your roll and gather a few fhuqking Facts and simply act/shop in accordance. Read that again. Now one more time. Hint.

You stated: "Also, there have been lots of comments about getting him something else. I think that is sound advice but he has those bases covered. He has a good .22 and a good all-purpose shotgun, as well as a couple of other guns."

Describe the "good" 22,as in Make/Model,mounting system and Optics. If for no other reason,that it WILL be fhuqking funny! Hint.

One does not get "better" by adding recoil,noise,schit handling,expense,etc and minimal Trigger Time. Read that again. Now one more time. Hint.

Now as Centerfires go,bullets matter wayyyyyyyyy MORE than headstamps. I get it,that you don't get it,because you CAN'T get it,thus the elbow in the ribs to slow your fhuqking roll and gather some fhuqking Facts. Hint.

Proficiency can NOT be purchased and only Trigger Time can/will connect dots. Folks who "know" and "do" as "much" as you,are pissing up alotta ropes and you'd do well to simply take fhuqking notes and apply same. Read that again. Now one more time. Hint.

It'd be a revelation for both of you,to see/use GOOD Riggin',if only for the FIRST fhuqking time. Hint.

State the budget and dots can be connected ala Silver Platter. Hint.

You've been led to water.

Thank me later.

Hint................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
[quote=Big Stick]SCHITfan,

Slooooowwwwwwwww your roll and gather a few fhuqking Facts and simply act/shop in accordance. Read that again. Now one more time. Hint.

You stated: "Also, there have been lots of comments about getting him something else. I think that is sound advice but he has those bases covered. He has a good .22 and a good all-purpose shotgun, as well as a couple of other guns."

Describe the "good" 22,as in Make/Model,mounting system and Optics. If for no other reason,that it WILL be fhuqking funny! Hint.

One does not get "better" by adding recoil,noise,schit handling,expense,etc and minimal Trigger Time. Read that again. Now one more time. Hint.

Now as Centerfires go,bullets matter wayyyyyyyyy MORE than headstamps. I get it,that you don't get it,because you CAN'T get it,thus the elbow in the ribs to slow your fhuqking roll and gather some fhuqking Facts. Hint.

Proficiency can NOT be purchased and only Trigger Time can/will connect dots. Folks who "know" and "do" as "much" as you,are pissing up alotta ropes and you'd do well to simply take fhuqking notes and apply same. Read that again. Now one more time. Hint.

It'd be a revelation for both of you,to see/use GOOD Riggin',if only for the FIRST fhuqking time. Hint.

State the budget and dots can be connected ala Silver Platter. Hint.

You've been led to water.

Thank me later.

Hint................[/quote
have you hugged your son today?

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Fireball2
If you want him to shoot more, buy him a 223 to hunt deer with. If you want him to be a loony buy him a .222. My logic is that after hunting and killing deer with a centerfire 22 for a few years he'll learn to think of the 257 Roberts as his heavy rifle for elk and bear. He'll never want a magnum, he'll be an absolute dead eye crack shot, and you'll save him all the heartache the rest of us went through searching for the Holy Grail big game rifle.

He'll just cleanly murder animals with a mild recoiling lightweight rifle. If we could all be so blessed.

Murder animals? Please just STFU

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by BobBrown
Originally Posted by Fireball2

Murder animals? Please just STFU

It wasn't murder. Those sons o' bitches had it coming!

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
IC B3

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by okie john
Originally Posted by WITUfan
Unless his interests change, he will probably be the guy who goes out and buys a box or two of factory ammo, checks zero and goes hunting.

This is critical information. If you decide not to ask him, then get something that's easy to feed off of the shelf in a big-box store. I'd say 30-06, but I chronographed a ton of 30-06 ammo in the few years before the pandemic and it's a lot closer to the 308 than the ammo makers would have you believe.

That said, 308, 30-06, and 270 would be my choices. There are still a few Remington 700 Package rifles available in those calibers and they're quite the bargain. Just replace the scope and mounts and you're good to go.

Okie John

Okie John is spot on.

Most 30-06 ammo is downloaded due to all the very old rifles chambered for the 30-06 floating around out there. Yes, some of them are actually over 100 years old. So the cartridge companies do not load the 30-06 anywhere near to its potential. A modern action such as a Tikka T3 can take a substantially wamer handload that you simply are not going to find in off the shelf ammo.

I have shot .308 handloads and 30-06 factory ammo and had the .308s actually clock faster velocities. Not a fair comparison, but something to consider if you are going to be using factory ammo. If I was only looking to use factory ammo, I would opt for the .308.

A T3 in .308 would be a top choice. Besides there are tons of factory loads (normally) available, and you can handload for virtually anything on the continent. The .308 is a well proven elk killer. It is very easy to shoot well, and I have yet to see a T3 in .308 that did not drive tacks.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I think 7mm-08 is a great all around caliber, especially if you reload. Can tailor it to whatever you want to hunt.

NRA Endowment Member
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
The Yute might be a hunting Son of a Gun, but not be the least bit interested in the tool, Win, Rem, Rug might be just fine to him as long as it kills. I have several hunting buddies like this.

Or.... conventional socks &/or rifles don't catch his attention. I recently met a young guy like this. McMillans, Classics, etc. meant nothing, he wanted a long range killer with a detachable mag in a chassis type sock.

Talk to the youngster.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by gunzo
The Yute might be a hunting Son of a Gun, but not be the least bit interested in the tool, Win, Rem, Rug might be just fine to him as long as it kills. I have several hunting buddies like this. ....

The Indian or the bow? Several very proficient hunters have already posted on this thread. It matters not what is in their hands. They are going to kill something... If the boy is cut from the same fabric, more power to him...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
As others have said, stick to the “standards” available over the counter - 30-06, 308, 270 and (gasp) 6.5 Creedmoor.

If he wants to get fancy later in life that’s up to him, but at least with any the above he’s set for life to hunt anything in NA.

Aside, whenever a guy new to Montana who would like to start hunting asks me what sort of rifle he should get, I tell them to buy a 270.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Orion2000
Originally Posted by gunzo
The Yute might be a hunting Son of a Gun, but not be the least bit interested in the tool, Win, Rem, Rug might be just fine to him as long as it kills. I have several hunting buddies like this. ....

The Indian or the bow? Several very proficient hunters have already posted on this thread. It matters not what is in their hands. They are going to kill something... If the boy is cut from the same fabric, more power to him...

I most certainly didn't mean to imply that the youngster was running afoul by being the way I implied. Many care about the hunt, the tools are just that..

And yes! Absolutely more power to him..

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If he's not interested in a new/different rifle, I'd spend the "gun money" on a trip to take him on and put that 257 Roberts to use. I know I think more about what I DID with my Dad than the things we did them with. I'd rather fill photo albums and the memory bank than the gun safe.

If a rifle is to be had, I'd not look further than a 308 or a 270 Win and let him help pick the platform.

Last edited by pointer; 02/17/21.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Maybe a nice lever just to mix things up a little and keep it interesting? But I’d ask first. If so, A stainless and synthetic BLR would be pretty cool and multi purpose. I’d go .308. Or you could wait and see what Ruger does with the Marlins. Just an idea.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F

Originally Posted by pointer
If he's not interested in a new/different rifle, I'd spend the "gun money" on a trip to take him on and put that 257 Roberts to use. I know I think more about what I DID with my Dad than the things we did them with. I'd rather fill photo albums and the memory bank than the gun safe.

Head south for hogs! Meet up with some 24HCF members, & go perforate some porkers. Excellent hunting, ecologically beneficial, high (or even NO) bag limits, comparatively inexpensive, great eating, and excellent memories. After such a great hunt, the kid may entertain the notion of a different rifle/chambering. Then again, he may confirm his belief that he’s already found, “The One.”

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Folically_Challenged

Originally Posted by pointer

Head south for hogs! Meet up with some 24HCF members, & go perforate some porkers. Excellent hunting, ecologically beneficial, high (or even NO) bag limits, comparatively inexpensive, great eating, and excellent memories. After such a great hunt, the kid may entertain the notion of a different rifle/chambering. Then again, he may confirm his belief that he’s already found, “The One.”

FC
I second this notion! I need to look into that greater myself. Especially if I could time it over Xmas break. I think the boys get a hoot out of it.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

181 members (257robertsimp, 338reddog, 10gaugemag, 358WCF, 1_deuce, 280shooter, 26 invisible), 1,846 guests, and 1,124 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,176
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.