Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#15802085 02/17/21
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
on Matagorda bay being brought back online.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
GB1

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
How long has it been down?

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Nuclear power is the true green energy.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Don't worry ... [bleep] never happens.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by HoosierHawk

It's at least the green energy that has some balls.

"Hey jackass, get your government off my freedom."
MOLON LABE
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by OldHat

https://www.victoriaadvocate.com/co...126430a-709a-11eb-a770-cb3d1f5f9219.html

About 5:30 a.m. Monday, workers at the South Texas Nuclear Project shutdown the Unit 1 reactor because of freezing water, said Matagorda County Judge Nate McDonald.

The reactor has a 1,350 megawatt generation capacity and was expected to come back online at about 10 p.m. Tuesday. The full generating capacity cannot be reached immediately as it needs to “coast back up” to a normal generating level while workers monitor the reactor.

Remember why, specifically, the Bill of Rights was written...remember its purpose. It was written to limit the power of government over the individual.

There is no believing a liar, even when he speaks the truth.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

That's what happens when you have commies doing shots of vodka at the reactor operator console.

MOLON LABE
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Evidently one of the two reactors at the plant had to be taken offline on Monday due to some weather related problems. Hopefully crankin’ that one back up again will help out a bunch. There’s still well over a million people in the Houston metro that are still without any power at all, and they’ve been like that since Sunday.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by OutlawPatriot

That's what happens when you have commies doing shots of vodka at the reactor operator console.

Like I said ... don't worry nothing every goes wrong, just ask the Japanese.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Frozen pipes at a nuclear reactor. Never would of thought it.

IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D

This ^^^^^!!!! If you believe in global warming then you should support Nuclear power 100% ! A modern Nuclear plant is as close to 100% safe as anything human made is going to get. Some of the early designs from the birth of the Nuclear industry were not as safe and bad human decision making could more easily cause failure. With a modern design you would really have to work at it to get the containment to fail.
We could also develop thorium salt reactors that would be even safer because a runaway reaction wouldn’t be possible.

‘TO LEARN WHO RULES OVER YOU, SIMPLY FIND OUT WHO YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO CRITICIZE’

Conspiracy theorists are the ones who see it all coming…

You are the carbon they want to eliminate !

I’m Uber Deplorable Ultra MAGA !
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Comparing Soviet nuclear plants to western designs is like comparing a flintlock to an M-16.

When East and West Germany reunited, the West German energy regulatory officials shut down and mothballed all East German nuclear plants as soon as practical, due to their unsafe designs.

What happened at Chernobyl to cause that disaster is essentially the same as what happened at Three Mile Island (TMI). A partial reactor core meltdown caused by operator error.

The results were vastly different.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Frozen pipes at a nuclear reactor. Never would of thought it.
Doubt the frozen pipes were discharge lines. There’s a bigass reservoir there (7,000 acres) and that plant doesn’t have cooling towers.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by OutlawPatriot

Like I said ... don't worry nothing every goes wrong, just ask the Japanese.

The Japanese plant disaster was a failure of human decision making. The plant was designed to withstand a magnitude 7 earthquake and it was well understood that the area could experience a higher magnitude earthquake. Then to compound that bad decision the Japanese decided due to sensitivity to taking farm land that they would build the backup emergency generators on that shelf way down low on the water. Despite the magnitude 9 earthquake the plant could have avoided catastrophic failure if the backup generation hadn’t been destroyed by the tsunami generated by the earthquake. GE had tried to get Tokyo Electric to upgrade the plant to resist a higher magnitude earthquake but the Japanese balked at the costs and gambled that they wouldn’t get a big quake in the lifetime of the plant.
Chernobyl was just a dangerous design from the early days that was a disaster waiting to happen and it’s other reactors still are. The bad design was compounded by the management of the Soviet Union.

Last edited by Daveinjax; 02/17/21.

‘TO LEARN WHO RULES OVER YOU, SIMPLY FIND OUT WHO YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO CRITICIZE’

Conspiracy theorists are the ones who see it all coming…

You are the carbon they want to eliminate !

I’m Uber Deplorable Ultra MAGA !
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Ya, nothing will ever go wrong with our nuke reactors. We can protect our self with engineering miracles. LOL

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Designs don't matter. Comparing them is a red herring. You can't change the fact that the stuff in those reactors is ABSOLUTELY antithetical to anything living. No engineering miracle can change that.

The world is not ordered and proper. Things don;t happen according to plans. People don't act in good faith.

Wake the up.

Ummm..... No, designs DO matter. They matter quite a lot, actually.

That "stuff" as you call it (Uranium-235) is more natural and no more nor less "antithetical to anything living" (whatever that means) than that deadly, dangerous toxin you fill your car's fuel tank up with.

U-235 is a naturally occurring element. Humans have learned to harness it's fissile power to generate heat, which heats up water to make steam that is then used to turn electrical generating turbines.

A nuclear reactor is essentially a hot rock that boils water. It's not some magical, evil thing that we don't understand.

Good Lord.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
not sure.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ya, nothing will ever go wrong with our nuke reactors. We can protect our self with engineering miracles. LOL

No not LOL. I went through the Navy nuclear power program and got a Master's degree in mechanical engineering with an emphasis in reactor physics. I can tell you that modern day nuclear plant design is about 1,000x safer than it was 40 years ago, when some of the current plants were designed. Explain to us your level of expertise in the subject matter please.

MOLON LABE
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
With the latest technology, it's probably the safest, too. Waste has always been the problem. My nephew did his engineering Phd work on tying up waste in glass for permanent storage. That's what's being done now. I don't know the process but they grind up the waste and imbed it in glass rods. It's impervious to water and never deteriorates. If the glass shatters, it doesn't matter. It's still glass, just in smaller pieces. It's the safest storage known at this time.

Nukes can be extremely small now, too. Another of my nephew's projects is a tiny nuke generator, currently powering the last rover landed on Mars.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
I wish they made them modular. Keep the containment building and be able to replace the reactor vessel and the steam generator when they wear out.

Just down the road from The City of Lost Souls in the Land of the Blind.
Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

594 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 16penny, 1lessdog, 10Glocks, 55 invisible), 2,224 guests, and 1,130 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,205
Posts18,466,093
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.