24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I used an Enlightened Equipment quilt for 3 seasons but eventually just went back to a trad bag. Sleeping in a quilt becomes more of a technically unattractive operation if one happens to move around a bunch. The quilt is very light and incredibly warm - but as a mobile sleeper, I find a bag easier to deal with.

BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by PintsofCraft
I used an Enlightened Equipment quilt for 3 seasons but eventually just went back to a trad bag. Sleeping in a quilt becomes more of a technically unattractive operation if one happens to move around a bunch. The quilt is very light and incredibly warm - but as a mobile sleeper, I find a bag easier to deal with.

That’s actually one of the reasons I prefer a quilt. I don’t get tangled up like I do in the bag.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
after owning a bunch (a big bunch!) of both, my thoughts are 20-30+ degrees- quilt (that is wide & long enough to give you ample coverage); below 20 degrees- lightweight sleeping bag

I owned quilts as rated as low as 0 and can tell you that a draft at 0 degrees is significantly different than one at 30 degrees

I still own several quilts, but they are all rated 20+ degrees, colder the nod goes to a bag

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by mtwarden
after owning a bunch (a big bunch!) of both, my thoughts are 20-30+ degrees- quilt (that is wide & long enough to give you ample coverage); below 20 degrees- lightweight sleeping bag

I owned quilts as rated as low as 0 and can tell you that a draft at 0 degrees is significantly different than one at 30 degrees

I still own several quilts, but they are all rated 20+ degrees, colder the nod goes to a bag

yep. spend the extra bucks for a long, wide quilt

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ribka

Agreed.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Originally Posted by PintsofCraft

That’s actually one of the reasons I prefer a quilt. I don’t get tangled up like I do in the bag.
I agree completely. Having no spent so much time in a quilt, the unrestricted movement is my favorite thing about it.

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Suck bullets simply suck.

N
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Originally Posted by ribka

Agreed.

What about putting a quilt over/around a conventional bag to have a quilt for summer and add the quilt to bag for colder? If a good idea should I go with the same size as the sizing guides say or go a little wider? I have an old Big Agnes Lost Ranger 15 and looking at adding a Enlightened Equipment Revelation 10.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by NM_ElkNut

What about putting a quilt over/around a conventional bag to have a quilt for summer and add the quilt to bag for colder? If a good idea should I go with the same size as the sizing guides say or go a little wider? I have an old Big Agnes Lost Ranger 15 and looking at adding a Enlightened Equipment Revelation 10.

yup- I do that in the winter, have a 15-ish degree down bag and add a 50 degree Apex quilt, gets me down to 0 or a little lower pretty easily; on longer trips it helps keep the loft of the down by allowing moisture to migrate through the down bag and go into the synthetic quilt- which handles moisture better

if you plan on using a quilt in this way, you want it a little wider- and wider in a quilt is rarely a bad thing

EE has a good chart showing what temps you can realistically expect by layering what quilt of what bag/quilt

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
wider in a quilt is rarely a bad thing

Yup. Longer and wider is a good thing.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have a UGQ quilt that I love. I'm a side sleeper and they have extra wide sizes to give plenty to tuck in. A quilt is great when it's time for the 3am pee - no zippers to deal with getting in or out.
The UGQ comes with 2 straps but I've never used more than 1 and that one only on the back side. The extra width tucks in easily and the strap isn't needed.

Mine is a 10 degree and it's warm enough down to about 25. Like most higher end bag makers, they use the European system of warmth ratings. The listed rating won't keep you warm at that temp, it'll keep you alive. Add 10 to 20 degrees to the rating to see where it'll keep you warm.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Costco has some down blankets for about $20. I got one, folded it over, and sewed across the bottom and about a foot up the side to make a foot pocket. I added a buckle to match my quilt strap and use it inside the quilt. It adds about 10F to the warmth and weighs nothing. I do wish the blankets were a bit longer but it does help when it gets cold.

― George Orwell

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Sleeping hot is never a problem with me, so I can't understand the quilt thing. I frequently use my bag as a quilt, by just opening it up and laying on the pad with it over me. I really don't like being too cold to sleep.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Quilts are popular for backpacking because they're lighter weight and more compact. You don't have to haul around the insulation that would be under you and useless. You also don't have a zipper which is just more dead weight. It adds up. A good 0 degree quilt will weigh under 3lb.

― George Orwell

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Costco has some down blankets for about $20. I got one, folded it over, and sewed across the bottom and about a foot up the side to make a foot pocket. I added a buckle to match my quilt strap and use it inside the quilt. It adds about 10F to the warmth and weighs nothing. I do wish the blankets were a bit longer but it does help when it gets cold.

I bought 2 and sewed them together and added snaps for a cheap summer packing quilt

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Did you sew them for double thickness or double width?

― George Orwell

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I haven't had very good luck with quilts. I can't sleep directly on my pad / air mattress, traps too much body moisture and I wake up soaked. (Same reason I don't do well with bivy sacks.) I've added a thin sheet which helps but that takes away the weight and bulk advantages. I've more or less given up on quilts and returned to regular sleeping bags (semi-rectangular for more room). The layer between me 'n' the pad takes care of moisture and I can open / unzip to manage the warmth so I'm not too hot and not too cold. The quilt idea seemed good, just didn't pan out for me.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I can't lie directly on an air mattress either so I use a waffle ensolite pad on top of it. It's a bit bulky but weighs nothing. The waffles allow moisture to escape and I'm very comfortable on it.

― George Orwell

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
Did you sew them for double thickness or double width?

width, overlapped a bit at bottom

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
El Coyote quilts, a new company is Arizona seems to be worth looking at. https://www.elcoyotequilts.com/

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
I like the idea of a quilt for the lack of entanglement when moving around. But I sleep cold, live in MN, and am 6'6" tall. Even the longest off the shelf or custom quilts will likely result in cold feet.

I need to rig something like this if I can ever find extra long down blankets. Ikea used to carry some decent versions but they were just a bit too short for something like this.

Yep.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
703 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 160user, 76 invisible), 2,729 guests, and 1,324 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,681
Posts18,399,678
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.