OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi
I'd suggest a fleshlight.

I think I saw that in Penthouse.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Modern lights are not "here I am shoot me", they are, "here, let me blind you while I confirm you are a threat and pump you full of lead.....that you never see coming.....because you are blind...."

They light you up like a target for all to see just like lights always have. Surely they have their place and maybe this rig should have one too.

However, I am not looking for a way to see the target, or blind the target, or burden the target, just see the aiming stuff to shoot the target.

Tritium?

Hit a pothole and the memory kicked in

Blitzkrieg Components, luminescent chevron with tritium dot....

I just picked up one of those FSP for my magpul backups. They are GREAT. They work exactly as advertised.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Saw more than I did before so will add...

It gets fuucking old when guys do the off-handed slights, the rude bitchassed comments shrouded in they're just trying to help BS. I know damned well when guys are being dics. There's folks here who give advice, share information even critique without being asses, like ASniper, Shane, David W, you, etc. Then the pepetual, yet knowledgeable fuucks like yonderdoosh that can't get two sentences out without condescending. Others in between. Not all knowing but I have been around here near daily for a while and know how some folks roll....

I like to have fun. I am learning about new stuff. I have zero interest in being a faux operator or Five-O. I live in a pretty benign place - dohhh - not really - a LEO was fired upon nearby last night. Another killed a few years ago just down the road. Very unprepared, truthfully. Just glad I am not over the road, through the "big" cities anymore... Our World has gone to hell.

So after a 15 hour shift, might not have been the time to ask a not so well thought out question... My interest in tritium sights goes a little beyond the AR defensive role, but, nonetheless, with the details shared, not just blanket comments, it's obvious they're not ideal on a carbine against bad guys. Now the guy in the video AS posted, he'd been a damned easy target all lit up... LOL Fairly stubborn here.

So, I appreciate your help and inputs. I sold all the BCA 'good enough' stuff. Things are sparse. I have now, or on order, 3 Toolcraft and one Rubber City BCGs, new barrels from SOLGW, FN, BA, Criterion and Green Mtn, parts from MWI, Seekins, SOLGW, YH, Areo, BCM... Not bragging, just showing I do actually listen some, within reason and budget... Hope a couple of the builds satisfy and I can learn how to better work them, seriously so.

I'll be looking to get at least one US made red dot, or Swede, astigmatism be damned as 4th point suggested months ago. And yes some kinda wiz bang wonder light. Cumbaya.

Originally Posted by TWR
I’ll be stupid and give a little more input.

The tritium front post is not bright enough to get fast accurate hits in the dark unless it’s so dark you can’t see your hand in front of your face. I’ve tried Trijicon and XS, both made me focus on the sight, then double check my center, then the target, then back to the sight and then shoot. If there was any ambient light around me, the tritium was worthless. Talk about getting centered with a scope or a prism sight, that peep sight is a lot smaller to get behind.

Given the perfect scenario I’m sure someone could make a case for them but there are much better options.

The best choice is always gonna be a red dot. Always. I just sold my EOTech yesterday and will probably replace it with another Aimpoint. Either one of these will serve you well in your shooter in the dark scenario. Some, most of the cheaper red dots will be visible from the front. One reason the EOTech and Aimpoints cost more.

Now regular irons and a light work better for me in the dark than they do in the daylight. They stand out bolder and in focus with the light in front of them. But don’t blow your top because I mentioned a light. Just trying to expand on what lillysdad said. Shooting in the dark without a light for me would be red dot followed by a good LPVO that gathers light. I wouldn’t even consider rigging up irons alone on purpose.

We have some good people here that share info trying to help. Sometimes things get lost in the translation but there’s no need to twist off, it’s just the internet. Heck me and lillysdad had a difference of opinion just the other day. It wasn’t a big deal, he has his experience and I have mine. I’m only about an hour away from him, I guess I could’ve drove over and showed him where he was wrong but different aspects help you see past yourself. Quit taking stuff personal, it’ll be a lot more fun.

--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by tarheelpwr
Modern lights are not "here I am shoot me", they are, "here, let me blind you while I confirm you are a threat and pump you full of lead.....that you never see coming.....because you are blind...."

They light you up like a target for all to see just like lights always have. Surely they have their place and maybe this rig should have one too.

However, I am not looking for a way to see the target, or blind the target, or burden the target, just see the aiming stuff to shoot the target.

Tritium?

I just picked up one of those FSP for my magpul backups. They are GREAT. They work exactly as advertised.

Phucqk, I knew it! LOL I'm getting one!

--- Kid Rock 2022

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

Tritium?

That was my thought placing the order. Pretty steep for a post, but in the end it was worth it.

I have not charged the luminescent part and pretended to be GI Joe running around my house at night, but for a daylight it’s much more precise.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I almost hesitate to step into this [bleep] storm, but.... At one time, circa 1989 in Panama, most if not all of the M16A2s in the 193rd Infantry Brigade were equipped with NSN tritium front sights. I had them on all of the rifles in my arms room, carried them in my Tech Supply, and used them heavily on night fire courses at short ranges out to 25 meters. With the build-up of forces, units from 7th and 5th ID happily equipped their rifles with the sights.

As a side note, they were common (front and rear) on Finnish Valmets, standard on Israeli Galils, and are present on my Galil Ace.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Mesabi
I almost hesitate to step into this [bleep] storm, but.... At one time, circa 1989 in Panama, most if not all of the M16A2s in the 193rd Infantry Brigade were equipped with NSN tritium front sights. I had them on all of the rifles in my arms room, carried them in my Tech Supply, and used them heavily on night fire courses at short ranges out to 25 meters. With the build-up of forces, units from 7th and 5th ID happily equipped their rifles with the sights.

As a side note, they were common (front and rear) on Finnish Valmets, standard on Israeli Galils, and are present on my Galil Ace.

The hell you say? LOL

--- Kid Rock 2022

M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M

Tritium?

That was my thought placing the order. Pretty steep for a post, but in the end it was worth it.

I have not charged the luminescent part and pretended to be GI Joe running around my house at night, but for a daylight it’s much more precise.

Thanks for the details.

--- Kid Rock 2022

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
The man asked to sell him on a tritium sight or an EOTech. Which one would you suggest?

M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by TWR
The man asked to sell him on a tritium sight or an EOTech. Which one would you suggest?

They both suck enough that he will need an Aimpoint and a BFA light.... But, for those following along, the tritium is going into BU mode...

Is an Aimpoint PRO a worthy investment?

Plan now is to buy an Aimpoint PRO now and maybe later a micro, a Eotech 518 and a Blitzkrieg green luminescent chevron with tritium dot, which, btw, one man here has seen in person.... And a DBAL.

Last edited by MtnBoomer; 02/19/21.

--- Kid Rock 2022

IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by TWR

They both suck enough that I will need an Aimpoint and a BFA light.... But, for those following along, the tritium is going into BU mode...

Cant knock it, but it’s heavy. It works, battery lasts, etc. I’d recommend a Trijicon MRO instead. Lighter, larger FOV, and amazing battery life. You may get one from LaRue with their mount for like $460. I swapped my first battery out around 6 years.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by TWR

They both suck enough that I will need an Aimpoint and a BFA light.... But, for those following along, the tritium is going into BU mode...

Cant knock it, but it’s heavy. It works, battery lasts, etc. I’d recommend a Trijicon MRO instead. Lighter, larger FOV, and amazing battery life. You may get one from LaRue with their mount for like $460. I swapped my first battery out around 6 years.

I will take a look at those too. Thanks. Just ordered a Blitzkrieg. grin Latest update, despite 'Flave no likey, I want to try an Eotech before an Aimpoint or Trijicon....

If anyone wants to further continue making up chit claiming what I use, despite zero knowledge to base it upon, or even better, what I am actually fuucking thinking tonight, it'd be a good time for it. grin

Last edited by MtnBoomer; 02/20/21.

--- Kid Rock 2022

M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi
I'd suggest a fleshlight.

I think I saw that in Penthouse.

Holly phucqk! Don't Google Fleshlight....

--- Kid Rock 2022

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TWR

They both suck enough that he will need an Aimpoint and a BFA light.... But, for those following along, the tritium is going into BU mode...

Plan now is to buy an Aimpoint PRO now and maybe later a micro, a Eotech 518 and a Blitzkrieg green luminescent chevron with tritium dot, which, btw, one man here has seen in person.... And a DBAL.

Pro is fine.

I've beat on two of them through multiple classes with no issues.

The included mount works, but the knob sticks out more than I'd like.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mrs Walter shot the shot with an Aimpoint Pro at the Thunder Ranch Precision Urban Rifle course last November.

She’s a very good shot, and was making shots at 200 and 300 yards with her red dot that I was missing with my 1-6.

She loves hers, and it has many thousand rounds fired on her DD 5.56, and it works fine.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I'm not an EoTech fan, had a couple go down on on personal rifles, and a lot more on rifles in patrol rifle classes. I like the reticle, but they just don't instill confidence....and they eat batteries.

Aimpoints are bulletproof. Period. The MRO, from what I have seen, is just about as good.

I have seen some very good service from the Sig/Holosun sights. I have a Romeo 5 with the AAA battery on a 10.5 AR that has been beat to hell, and it's been completely trouble free. There are a lot of the Holosun MRD sights on duty pistols in my circle, and they are surviving the beating they get riding a slide just fine.

I really like the compact tube sights as opposed to the EoTech style full-size holographic sights.

Last edited by liliysdad; 02/20/21.
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I have a PRO in a DD mount cause I hate the factory mount and just ordered an H2 yesterday.

I’ve a bit of experience with the Romeo 5 and a 4m and both of them proved to be pretty good at least for a game gun.

I didn’t have any problems with my last EOTech. It was an EXPS2-0 born in Feb 2017 after L3 sent their engineers down to revamp the company. But I always trusted Aimpoint more and I had an offer that I could not refuse so I sold it, which is why I ordered the H2 yesterday.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mtnboomer, i put a set on my truck ar on general principle. It’s not carried at the ready but lays in the back, never have to the check batteries, and one less thing to snag on as in real life there’s other chit in the truck. Some year the tritium will fade, but it won’t “fail” as a sight. Admittedly, an aimpoint is nearly indestructible, is small, and looong battery life, and is faster, but wanted a setup as simple and care-free as possible for this, so tritium irons was the result.

As someone pointed out, sure, the illum is a bit down the post, but so is it on pistol front sights, too. To my mind, it’s a peripheral cue to draw my eye, not an aim point; same way i use pistol illum front sight. At close range, it just isn’t a factor imo.

Golldammed motion detector lights. A guy can’t even piss off his porch in peace any more.

"Look, I want to help the helpless. It's the clueless I don't give a [bleep] about." - Dennis Miller on obamacare.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Thanks for the response. In spirit of having fun, I hereby un-GFY you. I have a couple few rigs to set up. I figure red dot and WML on one, go with the flow. Money is non-existent for a while so I have time to look into it more.... Can't believe I paid $70 for a little post, some fancy glo in the dark lines and a tube of dying hydrogen. LOL But, KISS, kinda as SC mentions below.

In my ignorance, reports of strong lenses (works when cracked) and possibly a better dot with astigmatism on the Eotech caught my attention, but, failures sounds suck.

Appreciate the responses guys. Will be back later.

Open to light advise, with momentary switches, maybe with laser onboard too. I'm no way ordering a fleshlight...

These are the gun options. No more, if this doesn't cover it, it won't be covered. I am not buying any more....

10.5" 556 A2 post and carry handle. Pretty damned ok as is. Gawd it's fun and tears chit up.
11.5" 556 Mlok
16" 7.62x39 (this will be a Sub/Super/suppressed open sight rig, if plan works, just because I have cases of ammo, lol)
16.5" 556 Mlok (toss up between this and the 11.5" for the defensive night gun maybe?)
18" Wyde, don't think I have a handguard for this yet. Hmmm, 3X Prism or Scope
18" 6.5 Grendel, Scoped hunter
20" 556 Mlok Hmmm, 3x Prism or scope, leaning scope
16" 308 M&P Sport

--- Kid Rock 2022

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No more, if this doesn't cover it, it won't be covered. I am not buying any more....

If I had a nickel for every time I've heard that, I could buy a fleshlight.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

140 members (257wthbylover, 300_savage, 5sdad, 2ndwind, aaronward9, 21 invisible), 1,758 guests, and 958 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,511
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.