Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
First case in a brand new set of dies, new unfired case too.

Going back to Redding on my dime, hope they make it right and go above and beyond.

223, body looks heavily tapered and no real body to shoulder angle, kind of a long radius.

I guess my question is has anybody dealt w their customer sevice and if so were you satisfied?

Not real happy I am paying return shipping as I now have an extra amount of $$ tied up in something that for being a first time customer I am already doubting my purchase.

Rant over.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
With a standard die set there should be no question other than the min/max SAAMI spec thing. The brass pictured does look funky, but it could be the camera. Did you take before/after measurements rather than just eye-balling? New brass is usually on the small side, what does it do with fired?

I own many sets of Redding dies & have been happy with them, so bought a set of Ackley Imp. dies. These were Group D dies so not real cheap. They had the correct 40* shoulder angle but sized the body almost back to standard 06 taper which pretty much negated the improved thing. I returned them with 3 fired cases. They "polished" the sizer but it didn't change the over-sizing noticeably. The seating die worked fine. Redding's CS said I would need to pay for custom dies if I wanted them to fit my chamber. Unimpressed to say the least, they still sit in a drawer somewhere.

I contacted CH by mail (pre-internet days). One evening the owner called for more details. Sent 3 fired cases to CH & the result was about perfect at a better price, but it took a while. Still using the CH dies. Good folks, good dies.

Sacred cows make good burgers when you know what temperature to cook them at.-Rev. Billy
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
C&H make supurb products, excellent customer service!

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
It is clear to the eye there is no true transition from body to shoulder.

Here is a new unfired case next to the new unfired sized case.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Let us know how their customer service responds. I have a few sets of their dies and have been pleased.

ttpoz

in silvam ne ligna feras
(don't carry logs into the forest)
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
New thought, going to try one more case.

I am wondering if when I got the case hung it started back down and stretched the case out which would explain the reason for no shoulder.

Got to thinking about this when I noticed the sized case was a good bit longer than original.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
10gaugemag: From the pictures you posted it appears you got a set of mis-marked 223 Weatherby Ackley Improved dies.
Naw just a feeble attempt at humor there.
I have several dozen sets of Redding reloading dies (and various other reloading implements!) and have never had a problem with any of them.
I am sure that the stand-up people at Redding will correct what ever in the heck caused that to occur.
Good luck.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Looks like a set of 223 H&H dies

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
My thoughts too. Looks like a mini-300 H&H.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
My latest project is putting a 17 Fireball barrel on a Savage action...

I looked at a die set from Redding....$90. from Graf or Midway...

For a 2 die set of Lee dies... $31.00...

even at the same price I prefer LEE...

No decision of which set I will order, and wait for them to come in...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
It is clear to the eye there is no true transition from body to shoulder.

Here is a new unfired case next to the new unfired sized case.

Much better picture. It doesn't look right. Explain "when I got the case hung".

I always chuck new die expander balls in a drill to round the top edge & polish the outside of the ball.

Sacred cows make good burgers when you know what temperature to cook them at.-Rev. Billy
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Stuck case. Pulled rim off.

Problem is/was me. The more I thought about the situation the more I realized I stretched case when I was lowering the ram or pulling the stem.

No die issue.

Nothing wrong on Reddings end.

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Seafire
My latest project is putting a 17 Fireball barrel on a Savage action...

I looked at a die set from Redding....$90. from Graf or Midway...

For a 2 die set of Lee dies... $31.00...

even at the same price I prefer LEE...

No decision of which set I will order, and wait for them to come in...

This is my first set of Redding.

Have 1 set of RCBS, 1 Hornady and the rest are Lee.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Bizarre circumstances

LOL
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Stuck case. Pulled rim off.

Problem is/was me. The more I thought about the situation the more I realized I stretched case when I was lowering the ram or pulling the stem.

No die issue.

Nothing wrong on Reddings end.

Thanks for sharing the resolution with us. I was wondering about that from looking at your picture. I own dies from just about everybody and have more Reddings than the rest hands down maybe 20-30 sets. Everone in the industry has treated me well but Redding has always gone above and beyond my expectations. One thing I have noticed about brand new Redding dies is even when lubed with the extra good stuff they pull hard for maybe30-50 cases and then on their own go glass smooth on the press handle. I've been using them so long I've come to expect it so I go pretty cautious on a new set.

Seafire I'm not bashing Lee but they leave something to be desired on product support. I know they are extra busy right now just like everyone in this industry but you can't ignore customers and hope they go away.

When you get your 17 Fireball up and running please share your results with us. I've been shooting a Mach 1V for a long time so I know you will enjoy it.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Maybe just me and I do use and like Redding dies. On the other hand, I found there CS to be lacking in the one instance that I dealt with them. Have a set of .300 Weatherby FL dies. Sizer works fine but could not even think about seating bullets deep enough. Yes some were newer generation tipped bullets. But a new factory unfired loaded round would not go deep enough into the tie to even touch the seated bullet on the factory round. I spoke with CS and they wanted me to send the dies back on my dime with the 3 sized cases routine. Maybe I am off but my experiences with RCBS have been a lot less of a pain and no issues in getting parts or whatever sent with no questions asked and normally at no cost.

Just my one experience, take it for what it's worth.

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Still going to send em back.

Stuck another case last night. It seems that I really need to lay the lube on heavy. These are the first cases I have stuck in years. New unfired cases too.

I am wondering if they just need polished or are a hair on the tight side.

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 02/27/21.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
I’ve had issues with Redding dies, those 22, 20 and 17 cal. I can not get the lube right. Either I get dents in the shoulders or I pull the rim off the case and it’s stuck in the die. I’m buying only RCBS these days. I’ve not had issues with 24 caliber and larger.

NRA Patron
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I have 10 sets of Redding dies from .223 to 340 Wby Mag. No problems.

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Redding makes good dies but my favorite are Forster; especially their fl size die. Redding copied Forster/Bonanza’s seater design. I’ve worn out a couple of 223 die sets. The Lee dies are softer than the others. I only got a couple thousand rounds out of those. I've contemplated the carbide Dillon sets, but I’m not doing the volume I once was.

Yours in Liberty,

BL
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

590 members (12344mag, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 007FJ, 54 invisible), 2,310 guests, and 1,196 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,612
Posts18,454,920
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.