Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Good bud headed to Africa for buff. Has M-70 .416 Rem. PH recommends solid, soft, solid combo.

I'm suggesting the 400 CEB Sold that gunner500 likes, but they're back ordered.

Those bullets aren't easy to find. Another bud killed a nice 41" buff in Zim, one shot with a .416 Rigby and 400 TSX. Bullet went thru 50" of animal at an angle, one shot kill, but traveled a piece.

Question. What soft would you recommend? I've heard that Horn DGX and DGS may not be the best.

If it was my choice I'd probably go with the 400 gr. CEB solid followed by a 400 gr. TSX Not sure if the TSX would qualify as a "solt", but I know it's a killer.

Looking for ideas and suggestions.

DF

BP-B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Have seen buffalo taken with .416 "softs" including the 400-grain Nosler Partition, Swift A-Frame and Trophy Bonded Bear Claw. All penetrated at LEAST 50" on angling shots, and retained at least 90% of their weight.

If I were going to hunt buffalo again, would probably choose the Swift Break-Away, as it feeds very well, and results more tissue damage than conventional solids. But am also skeptical about the still-advised soft-then-solids advice from many PH's, because today's "softs" penetrate so well, and are more effective.

Might add that the PH I know best, and has the most experience with buffalo, has the same opinion about the soft-solid tradition. He's now retired, and grew up when solids-only was the rule. But then he culled hundreds of buffalo in what was then Rhodesia with the original lathe-turned Nosler Partitions and changed his mind--and they were 180s from a .30-06. They weren't shot at night with head-shots, but during daylight when herds were driven toward him.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I used a 400 gr A-Frame out of my .416 Rigby with 400 GR Barnes Banded Solids in the magazine. I was hunting herd buffalo in coastal Mozambique and the PH did not want me using TSXs in case of a pass through wounding another animal. A-Frames seem to be very popular with the PHs. If I do it again I will use 400 gr Partitions with Banded solids in the magazine.

405wcf

D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
D
My bud would love to use the NPT or A-Frame, likes them both, has used them in other calibers, but they are scarce.

Reportedly PH’s not a gun guy. So he’s probably going with conventional thinking. If my friend shows up with a reasonable solution, he’s sure PH will go along. They’ll be communicating.

DF

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
A bunch of PHs are not gun guys, believe it or not. Partly this can be due to handloading being restricted in some places. In other instances it's due to passed-down "knowledge," as with many American hunters.

Dunno what to say about the shortage, except he may have to buy some "black market" bullets. I am old enough to still remember when Nosler quit making .375 Partitions for a while, after switching to impact-extrusion in the late 1970s--and their presses then couldn't handle anting over .338 caliber. The lathe-turned .375 Partitions were going for several bucks apiece--which is a major reason why Lee Reid developed Swift A-Frames.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I've got a line on some Swift Break Away .400 gr. for $5+ or so a pop.

What's the story on those? At that price, they gotta be good....

DF

Edited to add, Graf and sons had only one box, so I ordered it. And, they were cheaper than others.

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 02/18/21.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
The 350 gr TSX worked fine for me in Zimbabwe via 416 Rem M70 and will be what I use when I return. My PH was more than pleased asking upon my arrival. He was using a custom 416 Rigby though with the 400 gr TSX.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Trying to go along with PH to a point.

With my purchase tonite, we're gonna have 400 gr. Swift Break Away solids and 400 gr. NPT's loaded for the .416 Rem. M-70.

And, if the PH insists on alternating solids with softs, these will work. No A-Frames to be had, Graf and son had only one box of these Swift solids and 3 boxes of 400 gr. NPT's. So, it didn't take me long to pull the trigger. I had CEB 400 gr. Solids on B.O, but canceled it. Should be good to go with these and grateful I found them.

It can get a bit scary, looking for certain bullets. Glad I have a good supply of primers and powder.

DF

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I know you are all set, but this is my thinking also.

Originally Posted by EdM
The 350 gr TSX worked fine for me in Zimbabwe via 416 Rem M70 and will be what I use when I return. My PH was more than pleased asking upon my arrival. He was using a custom 416 Rigby though with the 400 gr TSX.

I used a 400gr TSX out of 404 Jeffery on my one and only buffalo. That rifle went down the road.

I now have a 416 Remington, and if I make it back for buffalo, I will use the 350gr TSX. Planning on getting out to shoot the 416 for the first time this weekend.

Arcus Venator
D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
D
If it was me, I would sure consider the 350 TSX. Not wanting to get too far off the reservation, I’m thinking he will stick with 400’s. Especially after I spent a good chunk of his money getting set up.

DF

IC B3

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I knew you were already set up. Just throwing my two cents in.
But I would go soft in the chamber, then soft, soft, solid in the magazine. cool
If he does his job, he will never get to the solid. And if he gets to the solid, he probably needs it. grin

Arcus Venator
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
I've got a line on some Swift Break Away .400 gr. for $5+ or so a pop.

What's the story on those? At that price, they gotta be good....

DF

Edited to add, Graf and sons had only one box, so I ordered it. And, they were cheaper than others.

I had to look, the loaded ammo with the Swift solids is $9.40/each. Wouldn't be doing much practicing with those- get your rifle dialed in and then find some cheap stuff for practice.

Last couple of trips I took to South Africa I asked the PH's what they used for backup and ammo. Both of them had a hodge-podge of bullet/brand types in their ammo belts. It was almost like they used whatever the previous client left them.

He went over yonder way
D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I’ve heard that about PH’s using what they had left behind by hunters, saying all of it was good.

But I was just buying bullets, not loaded rounds, still paying almost $6 a piece. Be sure there won’t be a lot of plinking with those.

DF

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Agreed, threw the loaded rounds up there for comparison.

He went over yonder way
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

I like the Barnes TSX; they are expanding solids actually.

I have killed 5 buffalo with one shot each using the 375 with the 270 TSX. Am going to the 416 but loading it to 450/400 3” power levels. Why? Just because I want to. Pretty difficult to improve upon the results of that 375 load. But will be using the 350 TSX.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
I think the bullets you purchased are a great choice and hope you find a couple of loads that shoot to the same point of aim with both the solids and the softs, The only time I shot a buffalo with a solid was to finish one off for my wife which she had put 8 375 TBBC bullets into. All 8 were in the kill zone but it was still trying to get up so a solid 470 ended it.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Thanks guys for all the help. I felt really fortunate to find Partitions. Those are almost impossible to find these days.

Took JB’s advice on those expensive Swift solids. What I’ve read about them is impressive. Reportedly lots of development time and effort with those.

So, working within the parameter of specs given, I think he’ll be pretty well outfitted.

We’ll see how these shoot out of his #5 Shilen. At least we have a standing bench.

IIRC, 4320 is a good .416 powder and even though it’s discontinued, I have a couple of pounds.

Would like to hear pet loads, .416 Rem with 400’s.

DF

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You don't need solids for buffalo and I see that a lot of folks here have said so. The Hornady DGS is an outstanding solid as are the re-engineered DGX BONDED softs. That said, shoot the one your rifle likes best. If I were going today with a 416, no doubt in my mind I'd go with the 350TSX and nothing more. Nothing wrong with Partitions either, except my rifle does not like them (NPs have been the most inaccurate bullets across the caliber spectrum I've ever used, but when they shoot I use them)

I shot two buffs with a 400gr AFrame because my rifle liked them and I had not experimented with TSXs back then.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Thanks Jorge.

Looking for powder choices with 400’s.

DF

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I don't have any experience with the 416 Remington (in my view the most sensible of all the 416s), but I've used both UMR and H4350 in my Rigby with great success, then again those larger bores are very forgiving.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
111 members (10gaugeman, 32_20fan, 257robertsimp, 338reddog, 10gaugemag, 11 invisible), 1,423 guests, and 684 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,589
Posts18,397,881
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.