Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
J
J23 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I had a French Brit for sixteen years. Stonewall Jackson (aka, Jack, or as my daughter called him, Jacky Bear) was my best friend and a damn good dog. He did all I asked in the woods chasing what few grouse, woodcock, and pheasant we had around back then, and was a great day to day companion.

Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho

Brittany looks like it might be a good choice from what I've read - intelligent, medium sized, generally healthy, moderate to light shedder and not a drooler AFAIK

Youre on the right track, very intelligent, and easily trainable due to their natural eagerness to please. I knew nothing, and I do mean NOTHING about training dogs when I got him, and he made it easy. Using a few books and the internet, he and I learned together. We would never win any shows mind you, but he would point a bird, find the downed bird, and retrieve it happily. They like to work close, which was helpful.

He was about 38-40 pounds, rarely shed (moderately for a couple weeks each spring and again a little bit in the fall,) and aside from a grass allergy (yes, grass), he was pretty healthy until he got into his elderly years. I dont remember him drooling much, at least no more than any other dog.

They are energetic and need exercise but that is one reason for getting one, it would prompt me to get off my butt and take long walks and throw a ball around or something.

If there is a caveat to the breed, this is it. Most people, including myself back then, are not prepared for the amount of energy and drive they bring to the table as pups, and maintain throughout their life. Jack didn't slow down until he was twelve. The energy level is obscene. The German Shephard I have now is a drivey working dog, and still a puppy, but she doesn't hold a candle to Jack's energy when he was middle aged, say six or eight.

Think... a sugared up 4 year old, who downed a case of Red Bull, with a bad case of ADHD. All the time. You'll get all the exercise you want and more.

Be aware, when left alone, they will find a self-satisfying behavior, usually digging or chewing to vent their energy.

Jack also had pretty bad separation anxiety, but so does my Shepard, so that may be the owner and not the breed.

All this talk about him, I may have to find some old photos to post up. Damn I miss that old boy.

"Ignorance is acceptable, because you can remedy it with knowledge and research. Stupidity is when you guard your ignorance."
Ted Nugent

"Idolizing a politician is like believing the stripper really likes you."
BP-B2

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Have never owned a Brit. , but have had two springers. Great dogs. Good retrievers. Love the water. Excellent family dogs.

Lefty

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P

Re. Brittany’s drooling:
“Even the Brittany’s mouth was taken into account by breeders, who sought to develop a ‘tight and dry appearance’. This aspect was crucial, they believed, as it allowed the Brittany to retrieve a variety of small birds without their feathers sticking to it’s mouth and throat”.
Found this to be true as both Brits that I’ve owned did not drool.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
3 Britts, 2 were from breeders (red flag, I think breeders put too much emphasis on hard athletic field trial instinct dogs), tall, rangy and long legged, very active tending almost to high strung, still decent dogs, but required a lot of time and effort. One, an orphan from Humane pound, unknown parentage, was the dog of a lifetime. Resembled in appearance the very old photos of the breed back in the middle of the last century, shorter, blockier, calm, inclined to use the nose and eyes rather than cover acres of ground, intelligent and very eager to please. Many times he would point birds that the aggressive hunting breeds would just blow on by. In one way, reminding me of the best stock dogs in the field, constantly looking to the master for cues of body language or hand signals. But, it also required the hunter to let the dog define the hunt to utilize that nose. Most guys dump their dogs out of the pickup and hunt the direction that suits the hunter, wrong. I always tried to hunt to allow the dog to utilize their incredible skills.
Anyway, I think they are a great breed.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I'm on my 2nd Brittany.

My first was also my first bird dog. She was my "dog of a lifetime". Intelligent, hard hunting, friendly. She lived inside all her life and was welcomed in the homes/hunting camps of many friends. She was the most "self aware" dog I've ever known. She passed in August at 14.5 yrs. old.

We learned of a friend that had taken a few bird dogs to re-home. Their owner had become too old to hunt. One of these was a female Brittany.

"She's probably never been in a house or ridden inside a car before. We think she is 4-6 yrs. old." we were told.

We visited and decided to give her a chance. From the first day she spent the night in our room. No accidents in the house. She craves attention. She hunts close (though our "hunts" have really been walks in the fields/woods). She is obedient and loving. She is friendly with other dogs and people and gentle with the neighborhood kids.

I'm beginning to think some of us may luck into two or more "dogs of a lifetime".

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by pointer
Though I'm very partial to the breed, but you live in close proximity to probably the most well know pudelpointer breeder in the US...

Hint smile

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by SuperCub
Though I'm very partial to the breed, but you live in close proximity to probably the most well know pudelpointer breeder in the US...

Hint smile

Once you PP you won't go back...

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Not in the market for a dog yet but tossing around the idea of raising one more companion from a pup between retirement and the end of my journey here. Have raised three Labs from pups and love them but as I get older was thinking of something a little bit smaller without getting into ankle biters.

Brittany looks like it might be a good choice from what I've read - intelligent, medium sized, generally healthy, moderate to light shedder and not a drooler AFAIK - my lab Ranger the First would leave puddles in the summer. They are energetic and need exercise but that is one reason for getting one, it would prompt me to get off my butt and take long walks and throw a ball around or something. A Border Collie is a close second but not sure I want a dog who's smarter than me. wink

So, open to any comments you want to make about them - am I on the right track, are there any gotchas with the breed, whatever.

OK..Ive had both a Brittany and a Border Collie..so here goes...

The Brittany, on a comparative basis isn't as active, by far, as the Border Collie. It is a great companion, excellent family dog, mine was sweet as could be and loved the hunt. That said compared to a Border Collie she rode the short bus to school, and licked the windows.

The Border Collie is what I call a "dog for dog people" You better know your schitt and be ready to deal with an active intelligent dog, or they'll make your life miserable. Simple as that...if you know them, understand them, and partner with them, there is nothing they can't do.

If you liked the lab at all..I'd recommend the Brittany. A Border Collie is like getting a Ferrari for your first car...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
My Brittany taught me how to hunt birds, a most excellent dog.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Get a German Short Hair pointer.....less frustrating to train.

IC B3

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Esox357
Get a German Short Hair pointer.....less frustrating to train.

x2.

I've seen and judged many Britts at NAVHDA events and AKC hunting tests. I've never seen one I'd own over a German Kurtzhaar (shorthair) or Drathaar (Wirehair). Britts tend to have to soft of a temperament for my type of dog, and many I've observed aren't natural retrievers.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Great dogs

SGT. USMC 72-75
DAV
K
K
I got 2 brits in 2006. Female passed a couple years ago, 15 year old male is asleep on the floor next to me right now. The finest quail dogs I’ve ever owned. As mentioned previously, they hunt close, but I was ok with that. I see some folks use them for ducks, but my 2 HATED water. So no good on ducks. But absolutely the best combo hunting/family dogs I’ve been around.

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
Not in any way pushing YOUR selection, but just some anecdotal from the other side. I’ve had and hunted with Brits (from good foot hunting lines), that were every bit as smart as most border collies I’ve worked with, as well as being as smart as most labs. Ive had Brits that were better swimmers than most duck dogs I’ve seen and that were crazy good natural retrievers. One liver roan Brit might have been the easiest to train dog I’ve ever been around, on top of being the most versatile dog I’ve ever owned, period. I’ve had some labs with PhDs in everything, and border collies that were mind readers, too. I think it’s more about lineage with Brits than whitewashing the whole breed.....I’ve seen stupid Brits, labs, and worthless BCs.....I’d take another Brit or Frenchie from the right lines, in a heartbeat.....but I’d be disappointed if they were not up to my previous dogs, too.....which is the lottery with trial stuff it seems these days. I’ve been impressed with WPGs, but not so much the couple of PPs I’ve been around.....they were good dogs, but didn’t seem on par on an instinct level with other dogs I hunted....more mechanical, maybe.....and could honestly be purely some fault that doesn’t lie with those dogs or the breed in general, but their training or breeding. No idea, only very limited PP hunting experience....and only one that I spent tons of time with otherwise.
I grew up foot hunting quail and woodcock, dove and ducks, and keeping dogs as an all around companions and helpers with cows and horses....not chasing ribbons or letters or keeping kennel dogs...., so take that all with a grain of salt. Anyhoo.

Last edited by hh4whiskey; 02/18/21.
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R

I spoke to him a few months ago and they're about year's wait on his dogs. Great breed though

Last edited by ribka; 02/19/21.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Hunted over many brits, but have never owned one.

In the field, nobody can match their work ethic. Lotta dog in a small package. Love brits!

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
If a company could market the same brand loyalty that exists with Dogs they would sell out everything they make.

Have seen great Setters, English Pointers, Labs, Brittany’s, Springers, etc. In the field, the good ones all did it all when it came to putting Birds into the coat. One breed my excel at something the others may not, but give any of them a great nose and enough experience, and none were all around better than the others.

If any think there is only one, then they haven’t seen them all.

Last edited by battue; 04/02/21.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Truth

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by mikieb

As I search for a dog I see an awful lot of really good Brittany litters.... and I want to know if a Brittany would work better or not.... I am mostly a grouse hunter but will not pass up a good wood duck hole if I find one.

I mostly train my dogs by hunting the living crap out of them.... Other than that, I let them be dogs. So I need a natural born bird dog..... Like a beagle comes out of the box knowing to chase bunnies... I need a bird dog to come out of the box knowing how to hunt grouse..... I don't know if a springer will check that box....

None come out of the box knowing how to handle Ruffed Grouse. I’ve killed more than I want to admit with Springers and Cockers. But with a hard flusher, you best pay attention and be on your toes.

Best Grouse Dog I ever saw was an English Setter-not mine-who had at least 500 shot over her points. At least....

Lacy was like a ghost with a deadly nose that moved thru the covers. But it didn’t happen out of the box.

Last edited by battue; 04/02/21.

laissez les bons temps rouler
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
We have owned 3 Brittanys. All were great and different (from pretty mellow to high endurance). All were great companions. Sometimes comical-will put a smile on your face. Smart and sweet. Loyal. Love the breed.

We've been looking around for another young dog / puppy. I love the temperment , and size of the Brittany (ours ran between 36-42 lbs). You DO have to excercise them. I took mine for a run an hour a day, and that barely takes the steam out of them. We had a female Llewellin Setter, that was just as sweet and mellow as the come in the house. Alert and ready outside. Wonderful dog ( 37 lbs).

We found a 9 week female puppy which is a Brittany / English setter (75% Brittany: 25% English Setter) mix. Parents are 37 and 42 lbs, so it should be a good size, and temperment for us. Hopefully she'll be healthy, due to a little mixing of the genetic pot. Picking her up Thursday.

Good luck. Don't overlook mixed-breeds.

"Behavior accepted is behavior repeated."

"Strive to be underestimated."
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
749 members (10gaugemag, 10ring1, 160user, 10gaugeman, 02bfishn, 12308300, 86 invisible), 2,842 guests, and 1,231 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,702
Posts18,400,046
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.