Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
After reading ConradCA’s post on colleges to avoid, it would be much easier to name those you would trust to educate not SJW indoctrinate.

I’ll start with Hillsdale College

Mark

NRA Life Member
Anytime anyone kicks cancers azz is a good day!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That's all I got.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you want your kids to earn a reasonable living and not be crippled by debt, buy them some boots, gloves and shove them into an apprenticeship. For ease of job finding and wages, I suggest ibew lineman. For top wages, find a hydro, steam, nuke or other powerplant operating or maintenance.

Here in the pnw my average salary for journeyman skilled labor is 30ish. Line guys pull in low 40s, hydro guys are 50.... these are bux per hour all are double money on ot with great benefits.

Across the board apprenticeship starts at 65% wages and some allow you to test in up around 75%.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
College of the Ozarks (“Hard Work U”)

Government is like a baby: An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other. - Ronald Reagan

For why should my freedom be judged by another man's conscience? - 1 Corinthians 10:29
C
CBB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I'm with High Country on this one. Teach them a trade and how to work...

Hunt...
IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Hillsdale is at the top of my list. College of the Ozarks is remarkable in that every student works their way through school and graduates with zero debt.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
If not trades, Hillsdale College in Michigan is conservative to the bone & expensive like all the rest!

Talk is cheap - except when Congress does it.

Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to
take an ass whoopin'

NRA Life Member
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

Politics is War by Other Means
M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
I was accepted into the IBEW Local apprentice program in 1976. So it isn’t that I’m pushing college.
The Trades are a pretty nice way to make a living, and if one is smart and has a good professional financial advisor, one can have a pretty good retirement.

Mark

NRA Life Member

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
Hillsdale & Grove City in western Pa.

I’ve heard reliable folk say good things about King’s College too but not altogether certain that is true.

IC B3

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
A lot private schools are not the liberal cesspools that a lot of state schools are.

My daughter finished up her last 2 years of HS going to a local private, Christian college. There was nothing liberal about it. I was sold when our tour guide, a female, Jr student had on a shirt that read: USA, Back - to - Back World War Champions.

She'll be attending NDSU this fall in a field that will undoubtedly pay her enough to take care of any loans she'll incur.

Camp is where you make it.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
If your kids don’t know how to work when they’re starting college, or at that age, there is part of the problem.
Both our kids had some after school and summer jobs while in high school. Those jobs were not setting at a keyboard drinking Starbucks. Both had had school year and summer jobs during college. Both went to public universities (daughter did get one of her degrees at a private college and was on scholarship) and majored in areas where there was job/career potential. Both have been out now for 8-10 years. Both are in their original post college career and making six figures.
It’s not that complicated.
And I’m not bashing “trades” education and careers. They certainly have merit as well.
And yes, I’m bragging.

Last edited by dale06; 02/19/21.

NRA Patron
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Liberty in Lynchburg Va...

Research it at Great length before you dismiss.

Open carry of weapons is 100% ok

Etc.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by CashisKing
Liberty in Lynchburg Va...

Research it at Great length before you dismiss.

Open carry of weapons is 100% ok

Etc.

I concur. Two of my sons graduated from there, we were impressed with it. No one should let the Falwell fall out dissuade them.

But, if the child is not academically-inclined, there's plenty to be said for community college/trades school/apprenticeship.

The biggest problem our country has is not systemic racism, it's systemic stupidity.
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Conservative tradespeople, without conservative college graduate representation in bureaucracy, will be further subjugated as wage slaves. Your state and federal governments are increasingly run by immigrants and liberal females because there are too few college educated, conservative American males filling the positions.

The same goes in private business, to some degree as well. Conservatives must fi the market from top to bottom or we will be displaced and subjugated. Taking the mentally easy route is self defeating in the long run. The war between liberal and conservative governmental policy is being lost in public schools and universities.

Living in a world of G17s and 700s, wishing for P7s and 202s
E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by urbaneruralite
Conservative tradespeople, without conservative college graduate representation in bureaucracy, will be further subjugated as wage slaves. Your state and federal governments are increasingly run by immigrants and liberal females because there are too few college educated, conservative American males filling the positions.

The same goes in private business, to some degree as well. Conservatives must fi the market from top to bottom or we will be displaced and subjugated. Taking the mentally easy route is self defeating in the long run. The war between liberal and conservative governmental policy is being lost in public schools and universities.

I don’t completely disagree with the gist here, and don’t believe it’s one or the other as those who ought to look closest at a good under grad institution are typically different from those who are looking closely at a trade school.

Be that as it may, I do think it is worth pointing out in response to your comments above that the corridors of power you outline above are only as significant as we (culturally, societally, and individually) make them. The ability (as one gains in trade schools) to take care of day to day needs of a household are truly vital to life and existence.

Self reliance is what won the revolution back in 1776 and is what will win the next one too.

This is coming from a man who is all thumbs, college “educated” and making a living doing something which isn’t at all “necessary” in the sense of plumbing, engine mechanics, farmers, or construction workers to name a few.

Anyway good conversation here thanks to all who have contributed!

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by high_country_
..For top wages, find a hydro, steam, nuke or other powerplant operating or maintenance. Here in the pnw my average salary for journeyman skilled labor is 30ish. Line guys pull in low 40s, hydro guys are 50.... these are bux per hour all are double money on ot with great benefits.

Those wages might only be liveable in Idaho. A person living in suburban California would need to make double those wages to own a 2000 square foot, four bedroom home and raise two kids. They would need to make three times those wages to do it on a single income, and four times to do it without debt. The cost of living can be four times higher in some parts of the US compared to others, and Idaho and Mississippi are among the lowest.

I have a brother than lives in suburban SF Bay Area. He's been a journeyman plumber for 25 years working on fire protection systems for new commercial real estate. His wife also works in accounting for medical billing, so they have two incomes. They live in a little 2000 square foot home in East San Jose, built in the 1970's when the neighborhood was a ghetto. I don't know when they bought it, but it wasn't that many years ago. Nowadays, those houses could sell for $2 million. Even with a few hundred thousand dollars down payment, their house payment would be well over $8000 a month. The cost of food, fuel, and taxes is also high. They pay very close to 10% sales tax and they usually pay at least $1 more per gallon for fuel. The only way they can make a decent living is because my brother started his own fire protection business years ago and he doesn't have to depend on union wages alone. For $40/hour, he would be homeless. The people that makes wages like, like his employees for example, they are not homeowners, but they can share an apartment with other people who help pay the rent, or they live in a little house with twelve other people.

Last edited by Western_Juniper; 02/19/21.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by philgood80
College of the Ozarks (“Hard Work U”)

I’ll second that. A very conservative school.

Give me land, lots of land, under starry skies above. Don't fence me in.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Ok Hillsdale College

What are you going to do with a degree in “Interdisciplinary Studies” history,

Gonna have a bachelors and work in a public library for $23,000 a year?

Just asking

M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Well one of them has been one of the official Trump Presidential videographers.
He put together the video that Trump’s lawyers used in the defense during the last impeachment.
His wife (also from Hillsdale) tutored some of the administration’s school age children. His was the only income needed, but she wanted to work and save here entire income to build wealth.

Mark

NRA Life Member

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (1OntarioJim, 2500HD, 1234, 11point, 160user, 10ring1, 73 invisible), 3,033 guests, and 1,203 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,336
Posts18,468,682
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.