Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
I'm not a marble guy, granite is too $$$, and quartz may be too.
I do not want a tiled counter, but butcher block is a thought.

May be forced into Formica but I'm wondering if anyone has been down this road before and has found any clever options...

Thanks

Work is what you do to finance your real life.....
GB1

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Corian

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Formica

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
I did one remodel using granite, & loved it. Current house has quartzite/Silestone/something similar, which is purported to cost less. FWIW, I like it every bit as well.

In a rental property, I'd pick the cheapest. For my own use, I'd not use laminate or Formica, on account of I like to be able to set screamin' hot pans directly on the counter if I feel the need to.

FC

Last edited by Folically_Challenged; 02/19/21.

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No idea of the cost (knowing him not much!) but a friend of mine did concrete countertops in his place and they look great and he did them himself.

https://www.concretenetwork.com/concrete/countertops/

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kragman1

May be forced into Formica but I'm wondering if anyone has been down this road before and has found any clever options...

Thanks

Not my kinda thing but you can get the butcher block slabs at Home Depot in 8ft x 25 inch for a couple hundred bucks.
Plenty cheap and easy for the typical DIY guy.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I was able to find some 2 inch butcher block at an overstock place fairly cheap. I didn't do my counter tops but I used it on a kitchen island. I'd love to have butcher block counter tops throughout the entire kitchen.

I ended up buying granite tile and using granite chair rail as a border for my counter tops.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
S
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
S
The concrete tops do look good, have worked in quite a few houses with them.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by kragman1

Thanks

Whatever you choose, get it in just plain white. This way, you can always see if it's clean or dirty, and can easily keep it clean that way. If it's dark or mottled, you will never know where it needs wiping.

[Linked Image from images7.memedroid.com]
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
We did ours with 12x12 granite tiles. I know - no granite, no tile. As far as cost, it's a fraction of what a granite slab costs and you can DIY.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
We did ours with 12x12 granite tiles. I know - no granite, no tile. As far as cost, it's a fraction of what a granite slab costs and you can DIY.

same here. did it back in 2010 and its been great for us. Price was nothing compared to having a slab custom made. Bought a $70 harbor freight tile saw with a diamond blade and knocked it out pretty quick.

Last edited by KFWA; 02/19/21.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Plain old no drip Formica here.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
For you granite tile guys - how did the seams work out for you?
In my minds eye I see 12" tiles with a 1"4" grout between them which I dont want.

If the granite has tight seams a nd gets sealed I'd be a lot more interested...

Gonna look into concrete too

Work is what you do to finance your real life.....
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
buddy did concrete. Look decent

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Do it yourself, countertops! My stepson did this .....it looks great, and was quite inexpensive! Here are a few youtube videos pertaining to the methods!

There are many more videos! memtb

https://youtu.be/cmVYRkQoW_4
https://youtu.be/kznkcaoLNao
https://youtu.be/zGbV1EIwZDg

Last edited by memtb; 02/19/21.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Concrete. Got one, work great, If you get someone that know what their doing, you can get any color or patteren.

If you hunt with your kids. You should not have to hunt for your kids.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Coworker bought some used granite for his 'lakehouse' off of craigslist or Facebook. Paid $100 from somebody remodeling a high end house. Cut the pieces down to fit his small cabin.

Might still be more than you're looking to spend, but small granite shops with low overhead often sell some of the basic granites for $40/sqft.

Lumber Liquidators has a bunch of butcher block counter slabs from $10-$15/sqft, more exotic pushing $20.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
For one of my businesses, which is new kitchens, I get full slabs of granite for $250 and full slabs of quartz right off the boat for $300 to $350.

This is dependent on color, manufacturer's quantity produced and availability.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[quote=
Whatever you choose, get it in just plain white. This way, you can always see if it's clean or dirty, and can easily keep it clean that way. If it's dark or mottled, you will never know where it needs wiping. [/quote]

Ditto on a light color. We lived briefly in a place that switched a light color tan counter top to a swirly black and grey flecked marble. It was pretty to look at but impractical. Anything dark colored was hard to see on that surface. If prowling for a midnight snack you had to turn on the kitchen lights just to find a red cup, dark bowl, piece of jerky or any medium dark colored item if you put it down on the counter. Never again.

Also FWIW I don't like the curved step down edge on our current off white marble. When sweeping crumbs or granulated stuff off of the edge it spreads out rather than fall neatly into hand or container.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I’d figure out how to swing granite. It’s great looking, totally functional, easy to clean, and will last a 100,000 years.

NRA Patron
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

628 members (10gaugemag, 1234, 160user, 1lessdog, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 64 invisible), 2,738 guests, and 1,272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,365
Posts18,469,052
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.