Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
dudley Offline OP
OP Offline
D
I have a winchester model 94 (top eject not angle eject) with saddle ring that I aquired many years ago in 44 mag. It is not a conversion but a factory built gun. Was wondering if anyone had any idea the value of this gun? It is about 99% grin Thanks for any help.

GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I couldnt tell ya the value but its not rare if thats what you need to know. With that said, 94's are getting a good price now that they arent made anymore. Is it a pre 64' ? If it is i wouldnt be surprised if you could get up to 500 dollars for it.

D
dudley Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Thanks 264bore. I have only seen one other in this caliber and was not sure how many were made. I don't believe it is a pre-64. If I remember right it was purchased in the 70's.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J

A few Winchester 94's in caliber .44 MAG were made in the 1970's. They are not really rare but they are getting to be. If yours is 99% it would make a fine addition to a post 64 collection. And yes, collectors are beginning to collect the post-64 Winchesters. I would insure it for about $600.00.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I've got one that is angle eject. Very nice rifle, comparatively low S/N for an AE. Nice smooth action, deep rich bluing and it has excellent checkering work on the forend and pistol grip. Swapped a S/S Ruger MII 7mm RM straight across for it. I wanted it BAD!! Is one of the most accurate rifles I have ever owned. Only issue I have had is the hammer spring was weak, changed it out to a Wolff spring a couple months ago, no issues now.

IC B2

D
dudley Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Thanks for the info guys.I have no plans to sell it but then again you know things come along that we think we can't do without.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by troutfly
I've got one that is angle eject. Very nice rifle, comparatively low S/N for an AE. Nice smooth action, deep rich bluing and it has excellent checkering work on the forend and pistol grip. Swapped a S/S Ruger MII 7mm RM straight across for it. I wanted it BAD!! Is one of the most accurate rifles I have ever owned. Only issue I have had is the hammer spring was weak, changed it out to a Wolff spring a couple months ago, no issues now.

Yours would be the XTR model and another one that is hard to find. Those will be the next "hot" collectables. The pre-64's have gotten too pricey and good one are very hard to find. So, collectors are turning to the post- 64. Even the one made in later 1964 that are poor quality are still Winchesters and nice ones are beginning to bring top prices. A 95% or better "post" will sell for about the same amount as a late "pre" of like condition sold for five years ago, $400 to $600. Five years ago the same post-64 rifle would sell for about $200. No more will ever be made so the price will only go up.

Someone may start production of the model 94 again some day but it will be a post 2006 model and have absolutely no affect on the values of all the pre-06 models. I'm talking about collector grade rifles which to me is 90% or better and not the rusty shooters and "beaters" or as they are called around here, a "truck gun".

Jim

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I agree with JBLEDSOE. I've been on the hunt for a pre-safety Model 94 Trapper for a good while. Fortunately I just found one. While looking, I put my hands on a lot of Model 94's, post-64, pre-64, AE, Trappers, carbines, etc.. The prices have literally gotten crazy in the last 90 to 120 days, and there is no end in sight. You need to remember, that even though there were millions made, probably half of those are "beaters". This is because they were previously known as one of those "dime a dozen" type rifles, and many people bought them and just neglected them.

I would highly suggest that anyone wanting a clean 94 had better get their hands on one as soon as they can afford one. It's supply and demand, and there are easily more people out there who are willing to pay good money for clean Model 94's, than there are clean model 94's available. I also predict when Fjestad's next edition of the Blue Book of Gun Values comes out, you will see dealers raising their prices accordingly.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Thanks, I didn't know that. Just knew I had a nice rifle. Not surprised by the increased prices, even around here (SE Alberta) the prices are up a bit when you can find one. There was one for just shy of $400.00 CDN recently, thought about it but it needed serious work. Qualified as a beater. S/N put it in the mid 1950's. (30/30)

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've got one in pre safety mode, made in the early 80's if memory serves.

Accurate little trapper in .44 mag, just too pretty to bang around like I do most of my rifles so it's become a safe queen though it's actually my sons rifle as I bought it for him.

Guess I'm going to have to use the Marlins for truck guns, (one in there now) I gave away a .30.30 win. to pards son after he killed his first moose with it. Kinda miss it, but still gives me the warm fuzzies thinking bout the boy having it.

Also have one in .357 trapper, I call it the Birdwatcher special (grin) but it has the stupid safety. Do you suppose the guys that came up with that idea wear two condoms?

"This ain't dress rehearsal....it's the life you get to live, make it a good one."

TEAMWORK = a bunch of people doing what I say
IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by 1akhunter

Also have one in .357 trapper, I call it the Birdwatcher special (grin) but it has the stupid safety. Do you suppose the guys that came up with that idea wear two condoms?

Over their heads, no doubt!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

82 members (35, 257robertsimp, 6mmCreedmoor, 300_savage, 01Foreman400, 13 invisible), 1,355 guests, and 831 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,059
Posts18,463,249
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.