Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
MK257 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Hello folks,

I think I am in the market for a “semi” soft shell(quiet) set of clothes. Something that is high quality, for all around use. I am not worried about it being super warm, as In recent years layering with the right stuff surely has made all the difference vs. a jacket and bibs 2” thick.

Must Haves: Light in over all weight, with light to moderate insulation, that remains semi water/windproof. This doesn’t need to have a plastic lining, but I’d like it to shed some water.

Annoyances: Fabrics that are the “sticky” Velcro sounding fabric that clings to trees/different textures..am I the only one that hates this?

I may be asking for something that doesn’t exist, but for the first time in my life I want to invest some money into a set of pants/bibs and jacket that are worth a chit.

Am I better off with a waterproof jacket/pants and layer accordingly, or is there something out there that is a fairly weather proof with light to mid weight insulation that still allows layering if necessary?

I appreciate everyone’s time,

MK

MK
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Kuiu Guide jacket and pants will do what you want.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not to steal your thread but also something that does not get ripped to pieces by briars. We got briars down here that have never been used before and they will tear you up.

Some mornings, it just does not feel worth it to chew through the straps!~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Most of the up scale jackets seem to be scaled for the very thin and tall. The arms seem to be long and no room for something like a hooded sweatshirt underneath. Jordan does this jacket have any room or is it a body hugger?

"Mark the birds and handle your Dog"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 7_08FAN
Most of the up scale jackets seem to be scaled for the very thin and tall. The arms seem to be long and no room for something like a hooded sweatshirt underneath. Jordan does this jacket have any room or is it a body hugger?

It's an athletic fit, so I order a size larger than my usual so I can layer a bunch underneath it.

IC B2

E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
Kryptek Vellus line might be worth a look. Though depending on activity level, may be a bit too warm, especially during early season. If so, the Dalibor line might be the way to go. You could actually have both and not spend what you would for the prestige names.

Last edited by eaglemountainman; 02/19/21.

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Johnson woolen.mills panta and ll bean jacshirt

C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
I have a kuiu guide jacket I will sell if you want to give it a whirl at a discount.
it is grey, not camo. XL Hooded.

Last edited by CBB15; 02/19/21.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by CBB15
I have a kuiu guide jacket I will sell if you want to give it a whirl at a discount.
it is grey, not camo. XL Hooded.

Love my kuiu Have sitka, first lite too

I would look at skre, pnuma too. Skre is having a sale now. Their softshells are decent good buy for the money.

I picked up one as. back up and hunted some this year in it and have hiked quite a bit in it to in rain, wind, snow. Go one size up

https://skregear.com/product/hardscrabble-jacket-mtn-stealth/

great pants for the money

https://pnumaoutdoors.com/collections/pnuma-outlet/products/tenacity-pant

Last edited by ribka; 02/19/21.
MK257 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I appreciate the suggestions. I’ll avoid wool I think, it’s not the resistance to weather I like..waterproof until it’s..not.

MK
IC B3

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Kryptek Vellus line might be worth a look.

Plus 1 on this. Used my Vellus last year in late elk hunt here in AZ and it was very comfortable, warm, and quiet.
Temps ran in upper teens to mid 30's range in morning and evening.
Supposed to be water proof, but I was dry the entire hunt so no thoughts there.
It was windy most days and it kept the wind off very well.
I have added several other Kryptek pieces (couple of vests and a puffy jacket) and they all seem to be of very good quality.
They also fit my old very (un)athletic grin body comfortably. I am unfortunately not "athletic" enough for the KUIU line.
A new favorite and much cheaper than some of my other name brand hunt clothes.
Joe

PS- I found the camo pattern they use is surprisingly good too.

Last edited by MO2AZ; 02/19/21.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by MK257
I appreciate the suggestions. I’ll avoid wool I think, it’s not the resistance to weather I like..waterproof until it’s..not.

Will will keep you warm even when wet. I prefer it over almost anything for stand hunting.

Camp is where you make it.
MK257 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by tzone
Originally Posted by MK257

Will will keep you warm even when wet. I prefer it over almost anything for stand hunting.

There is truth to that, and wool is warm, not arguing that. Like most “non”-waterproof materials though it gets extremely heavy when wet.

What wool brands are folks using now? I know the cabelas style wool is actually quite nice for the money.

Looking into kryptek now.

MK
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Layered kuiu or Sitka beats wool without even trying when it comes to weight, warmth and staying dry when it is wet out....

laissez les bons temps rouler
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
https://www.camofire.com

camofire has soft-shell layers, pants and puffy on sale today. Good basic starting clothes

Ive done quite a bit of coyote hunting, ice fishing in these bibs the past few months. Sitting in wind, light rain, cold, snow , fairly water proof( for not being rain gear) , quiet, comfortable. Great deal for the money

https://www.camofire.com/index.php/Deals/59

By the under wear layers, vest, puffy, pants for early season, and you're set for most conditions under $300

Last edited by ribka; 02/20/21.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by MO2AZ
Kryptek Vellus line might be worth a look.

Plus 1 on this. Used my Vellus last year in late elk hunt here in AZ and it was very comfortable, warm, and quiet.
Temps ran in upper teens to mid 30's range in morning and evening.
Supposed to be water proof, but I was dry the entire hunt so no thoughts there.
It was windy most days and it kept the wind off very well.
I have added several other Kryptek pieces (couple of vests and a puffy jacket) and they all seem to be of very good quality.
They also fit my old very (un)athletic grin body comfortably. I am unfortunately not "athletic" enough for the KUIU line.
A new favorite and much cheaper than some of my other name brand hunt clothes.
Joe

PS- I found the camo pattern they use is surprisingly good too.

Out of all Kuiu,SItka and First lite they use the absolute best synthetic cloth for that particular line. Shoeller Cloth.

Nothing wrong with GOOD Wool either.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ribka

camofire has soft-shell layers, pants and puffy on sale today. Good basic starting clothes

Ive done quite a bit of coyote hunting, ice fishing in these bibs the past few months. Sitting in wind, light rain, cold, snow , fairly water proof( for not being rain gear) , quiet, comfortable. Great deal for the money

By the under wear layers, vest, puffy, pants for early season, and you're set for most conditions under $300

Hmmm, those are quiet, eh? I have coveralls but need a set of bibs. The matching jacket of similar quality?

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by goalie

Hmmm, those are quiet, eh? I have coveralls but need a set of bibs. The matching jacket of similar quality?

Pretty quiet especially for somewhat water proof. I would archery hunt out of stand with them I
Like zippers go all the way up legs, chest pocket can stick hands in for quick warm up, plenty of pockets . Jacket great for the price too.

I was all all afternoon in 20 degree weather ice fishing and comfortable . Comfortable to walk in too, not bulky

Last edited by ribka; 02/20/21.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by goalie

Pretty quiet especially for somewhat water proof. I would archery hunt out of stand with them I
Like zippers go all the way up legs, chest pocket can stick hands in for quick warm up, plenty of pockets . Jacket great for the price too.

I was all all afternoon in 20 degree weather ice fishing and comfortable . Comfortable to walk in too, not bulky

How's the sizing?

I'm a tad over 6', 185-190 depending on winter fat. Large should fit from the chart

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
sizing isaccurate. large should be fine for you.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

448 members (1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 1lesfox, 36 invisible), 2,296 guests, and 1,046 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,494
Posts18,452,390
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.