Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 12 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 11 12
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Pay for one house. Pay 20% down on a second and the rent from the first pays for the second. Pay 20% down on a third. Half the rent on the third pays the mortgage on it,..add the other half to your monthly income.

Meanwhile all three are appreciating.

The magic 20% down.

And this is the path to being a real estate mlllionaire... wink

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Been debt free for 20+ yrs. Also happy with the 401K. Being 73 and required to take withdrawals, I was blessed with a $3 decline last year as interest and dividends came real close to offsetting outlays.

1Minute
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I owe no one on earth a nickel.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by irfubar
Pay for one house. Pay 20% down on a second and the rent from the first pays for the second. Pay 20% down on a third. Half the rent on the third pays the mortgage on it,..add the other half to your monthly income.

Meanwhile all three are appreciating.

The magic 20% down.

And this is the path to being a real estate mlllionaire... wink

It can be, I suppose. If you can keep coming up with all of those 20%s down.

I've managed to come up with 2 and have enough for a 3rd if I stretched. But I'm not comfortable with having no cash on hand. Things come up.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deflave
No idea.

Never asked.

Living rent free in the minds of many.

🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
IC B2

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Basically, if you're living in a house that's paid off, you're turning down whatever it would rent for.

The first house will buy a second house.

Some of us prefer to invest in the marker instead of real estate.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
Originally Posted by BobBrown
Attacked for having lots of cash and paying cash . Wow

It never fails here , does it? Some tiny weeny jealous person has to derail any thread they feel threatened in.

Well hell bob, you always like to throw in your rude and uninformed mouthy comments in other people's posts. Don't like it so much now huh, retard?

I could give two farts what your dumb, fat azz thinks. Who has cash to buy whatever they want and who is pissing and moaning about their miserable life (your post history) ? Laughing here on the way to pay cash for anything I need. Youll never get it

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by UPhiker
Basically, if you're living in a house that's paid off, you're turning down whatever it would rent for.

A lot of people are successful playing the stock market. But I've never been a successful gambler.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Since I can do nothing right, I have 22 years left to pay on house. Being 65 it will probably never be payed for.

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U

A lot of people are successful playing the stock market. But I've never been a successful gambler.

Keep the majority of your money in index funds and it's not really a gamble...no more than real estate. Everybody gets scared when investors mention "risk" because they don't know the word has more than one meaning.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
20 year fixed rate home mortgage @ 2.62% on $250K home.

240 monthly payments of $1339.42

240 × 1339.42 = $321,460.80

321,460.80 - 250K = $71,460.80 interest

Padded VA Hospital Rooms for $1000 Alex

Originally Posted by renegade50
My ignoree,s will never be Rock Stars on 24 hr campfire.....Like me!!!!

What are psychotic puppet hunters?
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B

Keep the majority of your money in index funds and it's not really a gamble...no more than real estate. Everybody gets scared when investors mention "risk" because they don't know the word has more than one meaning.

If the housing market crashes, it means the economy has crashed *big* time.

The stock market crashes on a regular basis.

But, like I said,..many people are successful playing the stock market. I just don't like how it's manipulated. The fat cats on Wall Street can crash a stock anytime they choose.

With real estate, low interest rates makes it appreciate, high interest rates increases the competition for rent and pushes the price up.

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
That's good math but I bought this house very cheaply and since the 2.62 percent is on a balance of 28k I don't mind paying it.

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
House, farm, all vehicles, kids student loans and all cards. All before age of 65. Only debt left is to Jesus.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Ben_Lurkin
Originally Posted by Jim1611
Originally Posted by Ben_Lurkin
Originally Posted by Jim1611
Dave Ramsey says it best. "The paid-off home mortgage has taken the place of the BMW as the status symbol of choice."

Dave Ramsey is for stupid people who can’t do math! While he does teach some good principles on doing a budget and paying off consumer debt; his “steps” are a good way to screw yourself out of at least seven figures by the time you reach retirement.

Regarding retirement, you should be putting away 10% or more of your money the second you have a retirement plan. To not take advantage of an employer match on your 401k and to lose out on the time value of compounding interest is absolutely ridiculous. To actually advise people not to prioritize this is borderline criminal! Dave’s advise could literally reduce your retirement nest egg by half.

To answer the question, I’ll have this place paid for in about four years. Well, what about security you ask? My investments and retirement are worth 4X the value of the property. I can simply pay the entire thing off if I wish, but my mortgage rate is 2-5/8 but my ROR on my investments is 45% ytd. Why would anyone take away money making 45% in order to pay off money costing a net of only about 2% after deductions? Inflation is higher than the cost to borrowers. Avoid Ramsey retirement planning at all costs!

Didn't say a word about his steps or the bit about having an envelope for bills and setting that money aside. I've never needed anyone to tell me how to be frugal and stay within my means. I do agree with his statement 100% about the paid off mortgage though. Everyone needs a roof over their heads and not owing anyone for it is great. You're always a slave to the lender if you owe money I'll also add that I don't have the option of employer matched retirement as I work for myself. That makes for a whole lot different ball game that most people.

You’re talking specifically about you and I’m rebutting Ramsey’s retirement planning. We’re not exactly talking about the same thing. Instead of borrower/lender; the conversion and bigger picture should be about how to become the master and make your money work for you instead of against you. Net worth is the goal with me. That’s not really aligned with ol Dave’s philosophy. There’s several good posts here already about this so no need for me to rehash it all - have a look at what W. Juniper and EdM said.

Yes, I am. Dave Ramsey's plan never would have fit into my plans for building my business as some debt was needed and at times it was a no brainer, especially after those Bush tax breaks. Some of my money and a loan saved me big time in taxes and allowed me to invest in my business in such a way as to make for a better future. Working for the other guy never allows that. I'll also say that we all have different desires for retirement. Mine started 20 years sooner than most of my age group and it began with becoming self employed. For me borrowed money on something that makes a steady income is better since I never plan to sell my home so for me I want it free and clear. Some of us just have different situations. My needs are pretty basic too.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mine's been paid for since 2001.

We sold our rentals, one of the happiest days of my life when we closed on the last one. Rentals are the biggest PITA imaginable, with the possible exception of owning a restaurant or bar.

IMHO, You should try to have a paid-for house by age 55. Makes life much simpler and makes you much more independent.

[Linked Image]
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

not yet.....bought current property late in life........

2 greedy ex wives didn't help either

Doing OK.......healthy....good #3 wife--------- grin

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
House and land paid for by 60.

To preserve liberty it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them.-Richard Henry Lee

Endowment Member NRA, Life Member SAF-GOA, Life-Board Member, West TN Director TFA
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by slumlord
paid as we built, ourselves when we were 19,20 years old. Had a termite control business. Do 15-20 jobs in a month, plop down $5k on several units of lumber. Store it in the our Burley barn. Do another batch of jobs, repeat.

Pick out a spot on the farm, set up batter boards, david white transit, start digging a footing with pick and shovel. Call ready mix.

Go do a few more jobs, save up money for couple months, buy all the blocks and brick.

Pay as you build

Get it dried in and, roofed, doors and windows and family/friends help walk away. We can do the rest. Have uncle so and so drop in once a week see how the rough in wiring is going. Make sure it aint gonna be a code inspector’s wet dream

A few delays, like stopping on your house to help a cousin work on his for a few days. Need all hands u can lend when someone trying to get one decked in or rafters set.

When youre done, it’s yours.

So you are like Dale Gribble

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
One of them is

Page 6 of 12 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

590 members (22250rem, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 1minute, 2500HD, 160user, 63 invisible), 2,127 guests, and 1,224 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,279
Posts18,448,505
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.