as in an earlier thread.......2.25% mortgage is C H E A P

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

BP-B2

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Like one of my buddies says "You mite pay off that house someday but you will never pay off the taxes."

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by jnyork

We sold our rentals, one of the happiest days of my life when we closed on the last one. Rentals are the biggest PITA imaginable, with the possible exception of owning a restaurant or bar.

They're not bad if you buy good houses that will attract good renters. The last house I bought was fairly immaculate and in a nice, yet fairly low cost neighborhood.

I'll admit, it's a bit tricky to find a rental property that's low enough in price yet still decent enough to attract good renters. You have to keep an eye out for the right one.

I got a decent deal on one I bought in October. I paid a bit under $150K for it. With 20% down I'm renting it for 2X the mortgage payment. If I put it on the market today I'd price it at $170K.

Those deals don't come along every day, though. The market is so hot around here right now for any house under $300K that any with an appropriate price will have 5 offers on the table 24 hours after it's listed.

It's a big plus to have 20% down on hand. A lot of people looking for a nice, starter home (the kind that make good rentals) will have 5% to 10% down and looking for a FHA loan.

Sellers don't particularly like FHA loans. Someone with 20% in hand and planning on financing with a conventional loan will have an edge over those other 4 offers that are on the table.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
That's good math but I bought this house very cheaply and since the 2.62 percent is on a balance of 28k I don't mind paying it.

Sure.
But it's not necessarily the best for everyone.

If a man has the capability to make early payoff the savings may be the cost of a truck or even allow for another mortgage on a vacation home or the like.

Having more cash on hand for savings could pave the way for a early retirement in some cases.

A lot of peace of mind comes with just being debt free and that can be priceless.

Padded VA Hospital Rooms for $1000 Alex

Originally Posted by renegade50
My ignoree,s will never be Rock Stars on 24 hr campfire.....Like me!!!!

What are psychotic puppet hunters?
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by akasparky

A lot of peace of mind comes with just being debt free and that can be priceless.
That's what others so often forget. Different people have different comfort levels with different things. Investing in the market doesn't bother me but house rentals would. I'd rather pay cash for most things because owing money bothers me. Different people, different tolerances...

IC B2

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
That's good math but I bought this house very cheaply and since the 2.62 percent is on a balance of 28k I don't mind paying it.

Sure.
But it's not necessarily the best for everyone.

If a man has the capability to make early payoff the savings may be the cost of a truck or even allow for another mortgage on a vacation home or the like.

Having more cash on hand for savings could pave the way for a early retirement in some cases.

You are absolutely correct.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Only reason i attacked bob is that he is a loud mouth a hole who needs to be shown how his behavior sounds to everyone else

Last edited by mjbgalt; 02/19/21.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by UPhiker

That's what others so often forget. Different people have different comfort levels with different things. Investing in the market doesn't bother me but house rentals would. I'd rather pay cash for most things because owing money bothers me. Different people, different tolerances...

Exactly. For me it's #1. Cash flow everything. I'd love a new truck but will not borrow. Don't even have credit cards.

I can't tell the future. I'd rather just have utility bills only in case something happens to my job. I hope it stays that way.

Writing the property tax check pisses me off though.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Could be paid off any time I want but a 2.2% mortgage fixed for the next 17 years is a pretty damn good hedge against inflation. I’m certainly glad I had that money in the market for the past few years instead of tied up in a house, but I’ve got very tight stop losses now and if they get triggered I may pay it down.

------------------------
John
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by UPhiker

Which is exactly why we paid off our house early. My wife and I are both freelance writers--and not having a mortgage meant we had more flexibility in our careers--including telling some company that started screwing us to stuff it.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Still paying the County of Siskiyou 150 a month for the privilege of living in my own home. But, I get services I think...fire protection-no, my kids schools 20 years ago-no, public transport-no, sheriff 40 minute response time-yes maybe, ambulance/EMT 40 minute response-yes, snowplow-no. Helluva deal.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Teamster's/UPS is paying my mortgage......

Go Brown !

But I voted for Trump.......

[Linked Image from images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com]

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Lord yes, I hate owing anyone, bought a farm over in Arkansas, paid it off in '93 at 30, still have it, lease it out for cattle, bought this farm in '98, paid off in '03, only way to fly.

Trump Won!
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Only reason i attacked bob is that he is a loud mouth a hole who needs to be shown how his behavior sounds to everyone else

GFY you dumb fugk

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Great example of proving me right Bob

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

wow........

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
51 years old

I own two houses

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
I tried to build a new one with cash 3 years ago.i went over budget and borrowed a bit once it was done but paid that off the first year. My property taxes and insurance have both about doubled since build. The bank is done but property taxes make me feel like I'm renting from the government. I hate property taxes.

Bb

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bought the home farm from my parents and paid it off in 12 years, but I continue to be in debt as in stead of playing the stock market I buy and sell land.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
There's people here with lots of money.

Deep pockets.

Surprisingly, they may not be who you think they are. And people you may think are, may not be. wink

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Page 7 of 12 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
103 members (160user, 10Glocks, 35, 308ld, 338reddog, 257_X_50, 13 invisible), 1,693 guests, and 758 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,775
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.