Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
DELGUE Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Hey, I’m kicking around getting a T/C Contender pistol for predator calling during small game season (no center fire rifles allowed).

Are any of y’all using one of those and, if so, how do you like it? Do you have any probs getting it on target? Do you use shooting sticks or something to steady it? Do you use a scope, red dot, what?

Just trying to get some input on this before I make a decision.

Many thanks.

Exquisitely turdlike in all of his many manifestations!!

Resist much - obey little. Hayduke lives!

"30-06 guys don't worry about schit 'cause 30-06 guys don't worry....." 16bore

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
BP-B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I find a contender handgun with a scope to be real slow to get on target. I don't find shooting sticks to be good enough. If I can't belly down on the ground and shoot over my pack, I'm S-O-L so far as hitting anything. With iron sights it's a lot better situation ... much like a long barreled revolver. The 10" barrels are not bad at all, the 14" barrels are kinda clumsy even w/o a scope.

I haven't tried it, but one of the very very light red dots might work out pretty well .. just guessing.

Most of my field time with a Contender is with an old 10" SS .22 LR match barrel that's been punched for .22 magnum. It is spooky accurate. Iron sights and a very slick trigger pull on the G2 frame.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I agree with T_O_M. Been a long time, but that’s one of the reasons I let the two I once had go. A red dot will be faster, if less precise. Maybe an attached bipod would help, maybe not.

There are other options. Supposedly, tungsten shotshells will kill to about 100yards. Maybe one of the hot .17 RFs? Or go with your gut and your original notion. Maybe I’m just clumsy.

What fresh Hell is this?
D
DELGUE Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
A 12 gauge semi-auto with a red dot would surely work, esp with coyote loads and a coyote choke.

For deer with a contender I wouldn't see a problem, as those are walkers, assuming you used a deer-compatible caliber. But friggin coyotes are moving a lot of the time, and it occurred to me that getting a workable sight picture might be a prob. A red dot might work better. I live in the SE, and sometimes things get a little thick.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I use my Contender a lot for much varmint hunting. The trick for me as to getting the guns steady fast is to hold it by the grip and forend at the same time and sort of stretch the pistol by pulling your hands apart slightly. This settles the gun down for me and I don't have any problem getting a good sight picture through my 2-6 Bushnell pistol scope. However if two coyotes come in you probably are not going to get a shot on the second.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Contender carbine chambered in 17 HMR would be better than a scoped pistol Contender in my opinion.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Unless you are wanting a true challenge and are willing to either miss a lot of opportunities and able to pass on a lot of shots it is an easy pass.

A tight choked 12 gauge w a good dose of lead BBs, #2s,#4s or #5s would be a better choice IMO.

The idea of a 17 HMR in a carbine would be okay too.

Assume it would have to be a rimfire cartridge in the pistol as well?

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 02/20/21.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Shortly after the 17 HMR came out, I bought a barrel for my Contender pistol. Had a 2x Leupold on it and killed a few coyotes with it.

Wound up missing a few opportunities and started carrying it for cats and an AR for coyotes. I have wondered if a red dot might have been a better option.

If I was stuck with a rimfire, I’d opt for 22 magnum though and in a carbine if at all possible.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
OP, I killed a lot of coyotes with a 22 Mag, 40g winchester HP...many others will fail. 17 HMR is a pitiful choice as you need bullet penetration, which it is poorly lacking.

17 Rim fire mag MAYbe a good choice but I have never owned one.

12ga with full and extra full choke with #4 Buck is a great choice, killed a lot with this combo.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Yup if going for yotes w shotgun, make it #4 buck and not reg #4 shot.

Last edited by hookeye; 02/21/21.
IC B3

D
DELGUE Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Hookeye, I have a box of Hevi-Shot Dead Coyote in 'T' shot in 3" and 3 1/2" if I wanna roll with a shotgun.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
17 wsm would seem to be the answer for you

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I see guys using an AR pistol style arm brace on their contenders. I believe the ATF has clarified that using them like a buttstock is ok but you need to do your own verification on that. Would give you a handgun option in a suitable chambering with short carbine characteristics. Haus of Arms has the braces (sharps brand).

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MedRiver
I see guys using an AR pistol style arm brace on their contenders. I believe the ATF has clarified that using them like a buttstock is ok but you need to do your own verification on that. Would give you a handgun option in a suitable chambering with short carbine characteristics. Haus of Arms has the braces (sharps brand).

An SBA3 brace would fit just like this LaRue stock I put on to reduce LOP for my son.

[Linked Image from u.cubeupload.com]

It is rather thick in the grip, but it works, and was inexpensive, as I had the buffer tube and stock in my parts bin.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by hookeye
Yup if going for yotes w shotgun, make it #4 buck and not reg #4 shot.

Don't let the coyotes I have killed w #4 & #5 turkey loads they were pussies and died to small shot!!

D
DELGUE Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
It's a dead issue now. I was eyeballin' a used Contender G2 with a Weaver scope, base, and rings, and a 223 barrel on Gunbroker. The guy put it on starting at $9. When I first saw it the price was $305. The auction just now ended and it went for $850. Too rich for my blood.

Maybe I'll just get a brand new Stoeger M3000 instead, if I feel a need to get something.,

Last edited by DELGUE; 02/23/21.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DELGUE
It's a dead issue now. I was eyeballin' a used Contender G2 with a Weaver scope, base, and rings, and a 223 barrel on Gunbroker. The guy put it on starting at $9. When I first saw it the price was $305. The auction just now ended and it went for $850. Too rich for my blood.

Maybe I'll just get a brand new Stoeger M3000 instead, if I feel a need to get something.,

That was too much. I got a new G2 action, trigger job done, and 30-30 SSK threaded barrel with a sweet rail for that amount.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by goalie
Originally Posted by DELGUE

That was too much. I got a new G2 action, trigger job done, and 30-30 SSK threaded barrel with a sweet rail for that amount.

That's GB for ya.

D
DELGUE Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
goalie,
That's why I just sat there laffin.

10gauge,
I think that was the first GB auction I ever got close to participating in. It was...interesting.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I'm sure the seller would disagree with it being too high.

I read where Haus of Arms is close to building and releasing a new G1 Contender frame, along with lots of barrel calibers.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
656 members (222ND, 160user, 1234, 257 roberts, 1lessdog, 2500HD, 71 invisible), 2,824 guests, and 1,362 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,651
Posts18,399,172
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.