Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
J
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
J

Last edited by jaguartx; 02/20/21.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
GB1

J
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
J

Last edited by jaguartx; 02/20/21.

I Dindo Nuffin
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Recently heard in the mechanic’s break room......”I got some of these left over, wonder where they went”! grin memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Best to have something like this happen 25 miles from the airport in Denver instead of halfway between the west coast and Honolulu.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by antlers
Best to have something like this happen 25 miles from the airport in Denver instead of halfway between the west coast and Honolulu.

My thought as well. My understanding is that the flight from U.S. mainland to Honolulu is one of the longest commercial "over water" flight segments in the world.

IC B2

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
That be scary as hell

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by hanco
That be scary as hell

Especially sitting over the wing on that side....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Pucker factor 11, right there. I wonder what NTSB will dredge up...little voice in my head says "maintenance error." Just a wildass guess, though.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Bird strike?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
Bird strike?

Could be, but that's not what it looks like to me. It looks to me like all the panels were not properly secured after maintenance of some kind. I truly am just guessing, though. An A&P with experience on engines might be able to offer a better explanation...I'm just a lowly avionics guy.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

IC B3

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Twin engine planes are just so much fun!

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

J
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Twin engine planes are just so much fun!

Until they arent, huh? shocked

I Dindo Nuffin
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Twin engine planes have enough power to fly on one engine. As long as there isn't any other damage from the engine letting go, (ex. hydraulic lines, etc.) pilots are trained to fly and land it, at least in most First World airlines. The most critical time is if it happens right at liftoff. That being said, I still wouldn't want to be on one when it happens.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
And that second engine can get you all the way to the crash site.

I'd rather die in a BAD gunfight than a GOOD nursing home.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That Outer Limits episode with the monster on the airplane wing scared the 9hit out of me as a little kid.

But not as much as watching a seized, flaming engine out my window seat to Hawaii.

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
I would think compressor stall which is essentially an explosion in the compressor section possibly caused by FOD (foreign object damage, bird strike, or a fatigue induced failure of a compressor blade). That might explain the missing engine nacelle, etc..

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Morewood
That Outer Limits episode with the monster on the airplane wing scared the 9hit out of me as a little kid.

But not as much as watching a seized, flaming engine out my window seat to Hawaii.

Do you mean the Twilight Zone where the monkey was out on the wing ripping it apart? I remember that episode from when I was a kid, scared the H E double toothpicks out of me!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Skankhunt42
Originally Posted by Morewood

Do you mean the Twilight Zone where the monkey was out on the wing ripping it apart? I remember that episode from when I was a kid, scared the H E double toothpicks out of me!

Seems like one of the Creepshow movies featured the same story. I may not be remembering correctly...but I do remember "thanks for the ride, Lady." One of my college roomies walked around saying that for months.

Don't be the darkness.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Pretty spectacular uncontained engine failure. The cowling isn't supposed to come apart like that and the FAA will want to research why it didn't stay intact. It's hard to say what caused it, could have been a bird strike or easily could have been some other issue, the NTSB will figure it out. Takeoff is when you're most likely to have an engine failure because that's when you're using the highest thrust, it puts the most stress on components. Another time is when you level off at altitude and the power comes back, surprisingly they'll sometimes fail then if the thrust bearings are weak. I had that happen as a passenger on a Delta 767 out of, ironically, Honolulu when we leveled off at 31000'.

Kudos to the pilots, they handled it well and everyone is back safely. I fly the 777 and it's a great airplane, it flies fine at max takeoff weight on one engine. They're designed to safely handle that exact scenario of an engine failure on takeoff. I'd almost rather be flying a 777 with one engine than most other planes with two or three.....almost.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

310 members (22kHornet, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 160user, 2500HD, 10Glocks, 29 invisible), 2,572 guests, and 949 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,281
Posts18,467,740
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.