Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Are these worth the installation cost? Buying our retirement home, and it has a water heater (75 gallon) in the attic.Second floor heated by an AquaTherm system. Don't really like that idea, whole bunch of water that could escape.. Running on propane. Plenty of room in the laundry room, gas and water piping present. Only issue would be the vent, might have to go up through the ceiling into the second floor attic then to the roof. I suppose it could be mounted in the same spot in the attic as well. In AR, so temps are moderate for the most part. Well water, no idea of its temp right now. Going to replace the older HVAC systems (two split units) so don't need the 75 gallon tanked one anymore.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Water tanks in the attic are a bad idea. So are indoor tanks at floor level. Have a tankless gas system mounted outside, very pleased with it.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Get that water bomb out of your attic right off the bat.

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Mine mounted outside too, love it!

To preserve liberty it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them.-Richard Henry Lee

Endowment Member NRA, Life Member SAF-GOA, Life-Board Member, West TN Director TFA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Why outside ?

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 284LUVR
Why outside ?

Not a chance in hell for me.
Look at Texas.
"We ain't wasting no money building our houses for for cold weather.
Don't bury those pipes deep, it's not cold here"

"Oh 9uck, it got cold. Now we are screwed!"

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
My water heater is an electric 80 gallon made in 1992. It's way overdue. I'm going to replace it with a tankless when it dies.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
They're mounted outside because they're propane powered.
Ours works great but we had to install an inline filter. We're in the sand hills and sand can gum up the impeller that spins to tell the burner to turn on.

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by smithrjd
Are these worth the installation cost? Buying our retirement home, and it has a water heater (75 gallon) in the attic.Second floor heated by an AquaTherm system. Don't really like that idea, whole bunch of water that could escape.. Running on propane. Plenty of room in the laundry room, gas and water piping present. Only issue would be the vent, might have to go up through the ceiling into the second floor attic then to the roof. I suppose it could be mounted in the same spot in the attic as well. In AR, so temps are moderate for the most part. Well water, no idea of its temp right now. Going to replace the older HVAC systems (two split units) so don't need the 75 gallon tanked one anymore.

Tankless water heaters have a huge burner in them. You need to have a flu study done to see if your furnace will draft with the tankless running. Tankless water heaters don't do well on well water, pun intended.

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Mounting outside would be easy for the exhaust venting. Subject to freezing as well. Laundry room has an outside wall, but the piping and gas lines are on the inside wall. I do want to get the 18 year old 75 gallon water bomb out of the attic... Had one go once, in the garage, but still was not pretty.

IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Tanks are a pain when they die. But it's nice to have an emergency reserve of 80 or so gallons of good water in a pinch...

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Mounting outside would be easy for the exhaust venting. Subject to freezing as well. Laundry room has an outside wall, but the piping and gas lines are on the inside wall. I do want to get the 18 year old 75 gallon water bomb out of the attic... Had one go once, in the garage, but still was not pretty.

Look into a power vent for the laundry room. Still need the flu study. Hart & Cooley has a table on the internet for flu calculations. It must be installed correctly, Operation is silent, Failure is silent, Death from carbon monoxide is silent.

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Yep, wondering about a water softener or filter. None present. No hard water problems that I could see, but it is well water. Pump house, well pump, pressure tank etc checked out fine with an inspection, have not had the water fully tested yet. Passed the quick test, will get a sample to a "Lab" before closing.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We had a natural gas powered Rinnai unit installed in our house when it was built 12 years ago. We've been very pleased with it, and I would not want to go back to a conventional tank system.

Ours is mounted on the outside wall of the house, and the only time it has frozen (actually just slushed up a little) was when the temps got down in the low single digits. Leaving a faucet running has always been adequate to keep it from happening again.

=====================
Boots were made for walking
Winds were blowing change
Boys fall in the jungle
As I Came of Age

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
A friend bought one, his plumber told him to take it back.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I have two with zero issues. One in a garage closet the other in an "outside" closet. My place was built with them. Pay attention to fuel line size on a retrofit.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

Sounds like a great place for retiring.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Yep, wondering about a water softener or filter. None present. No hard water problems that I could see, but it is well water. Pump house, well pump, pressure tank etc checked out fine with an inspection, have not had the water fully tested yet. Passed the quick test, will get a sample to a "Lab" before closing.
ner
I just installed a special water softener for well water. It has a KDF pre filter in place of the top basket inside the tank. The KDF is a metal media that enables the softener to handle a little clear water iron.

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Well, for what I'm getting and what it costs.. I think so. You may not....

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
My nephew in Dallas has one mounted outside. Last week he lost power for several days and temps are way below freezing. Not sure of his outcome but he was having freezing problems with it.

NRA Patron
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

608 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 1234, 58 invisible), 1,970 guests, and 1,213 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,246
Posts18,448,040
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.