Print Thread
Hop To
P
pullit Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
I am not sure what is going on, I have a Square deal and I have not issues at all loading 45 ACP, and 38 Super on it.
I changed over to loading 9mm and I am having about a 3 rejects to 1 good one rate when going to my chamber checker. The reject range from liking just a hair from going to sticking out about an 1/8 of an inch.
All were loaded with the same box of bullets, same primers, same powder. Brass is a mixed lot but checking the head stamp, some of the same head stamps went and some did not. I changed from a round nose to a HP bullet and none of those would go into the chamber checker.
I thought I would see if the chamber checker was lying to me and tried one round that would barely not go. It did chamber but locked up in the gun and had to be shot to get it out. I ran the one ones that the chamber checker said were good and everything ran fine.
I am not sure what is going on. How can everything come out of the same press/dies and one be good and 3 be bad? I will admit this is my reloading of 9mm ever but far from my first pistol loading.
Any help would be great as I can't figure this out and with bullets/powder/primers being what they are today I can't/ don't want to keep going only to have bad ammo.
On one last detail, the brass is just years of range pick up but it is all brass, not steel case or alum. and it has all been cleaned.
Thanks for the help

Last edited by pullit; 02/19/21.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Start simple. Can you turn the screw holding the sizer die in further?

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
P
pullit Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Ok, I talked with Dillon, From what the guy there told me 9mm is kind funny on bullet seating depth. He had me adjust my seater out just a little and my finial stage out just a hair. After making those two adjustments I was able to get 5 round in a row that would go thru the check gage. He said I would have to start from scratch if I changed bullets. I know 5 is no big number but I will go slow and make sure that I can repeat the results. Oh he also had me flair the case mouth a little more.
Still do not know why some checked good and more checked bad but if I can get everything to run as good as my 45 and 38 Super, I will be happy for sure.

Son of the Gael
The resizer is all the way down.

P
pullit Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Oh a side note, does anyone know if on a 9mm round, can the bullet be pulled? I hope I don't have to find out as I am going to run all the bad one back thru the press and see what happens now that the adjustments have been made.

D
dla Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
Yes the bullets can be pulled. I bought a kinetic puller years ago that come in handy once in a while.

Suggestion: when you post on a forum looking for help, include some details, like bullet style and weight, final cartridge overall length, and a bit more detail about the case gauge ( a picture would be nice) so we can grasp the failure.

I've been using an SDB for 20 years to reload 9mm, 40sw, 45acp and 44mag. I usually can picture in my mind what is going on with a problem posted, but not this time. I'm glad Dillon CS still works.

IC B2

P
pullit Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
dla
Thank you, I did leave a lot of detail out that you mentioned.
Range brass, cleaned but not sorted, FMJ 115 gr. ball bullets (box has no name on it). CCI SP primers, 4.1 gr of Bullseye (old powder, just using it to use it up) COL 1.145.

D
dla Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by pullit
dla
Thank you, I did leave a lot of detail out that you mentioned.
Range brass, cleaned but not sorted, FMJ 115 gr. ball bullets (box has no name on it). CCI SP primers, 4.1 gr of Bullseye (old powder, just using it to use it up) COL 1.145.

And there is the problem - col of 1.145". I have a pistol that does not like ammo loaded out that long. I shorten it up to 1.07" or so and all is well. I suspect that the bullet profile and that col are causing you grief.

Have fun!

P
pullit Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
thanks for that info, I will try adjusting my seating station down and see how that works.
I just used some factory stuff as my "go by" to get my OAL. The factory ammo has a bullet profile that looks similar to what I was loading.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I would have said you probably have some "stepped" brass in the bunch but most of the 115gr bullets will work in those.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

676 members (10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 160user, 66 invisible), 3,536 guests, and 1,202 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,271
Posts18,467,426
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.