Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Hi Paul.
I also really like the accu range reticle.
The two rifles I use it on are my 30-06 and my 6.5x55 Swede.
Both rifles are zeroed at 200 yards, and then I find what-power-setting I need to set the scope to in order to use the 3, 4, and 500 yard settings in the reticle.
Example: on my 06, shooting a 200 grain partition spitzer, at 2,650/second, if I set the power ring to the front edge of the "7" power, I am within an inch, high or low, at 3, 4, and 500 yards... easy peasy.

By the way, a quick way to find that power setting is this:
- Run the ballistics that give you what the hold-overs would be in inches, at exactly 100 yards, if zeroing wherever you plan to, in order to be right-on at 3, 4, and 500.
- for my partition load, those points were approx: 300: 3"-high at 100: 400: 6"-high at 100: 500: 10"-high at 100.
- go to the range with some duct tape and a ruler... make your lengths of tape matching your holdovers at 100 yards... ( 3", 6", and 10").... put the tape vertically in 3 separate bars on a target.
- go right to the target at one hundred yards and adjust your scope to the 500 yard holdover (10" long) where the cross hair and the post exactly bracket the 10".. without changing the power setting check how close that power setting is for also bracketing the 300 and 400 yard lengths of duct tape are.... get ready to be surprised, because they will also be close to dead-on.... this is because the subtensions on the accu range reticle pretty well match the curve standard-type spitzers carve through the air.

Hope this makes sense and saves you some time on finding that magic power setting on the accu range... only takes me 15 minutes to do a new cartridge. The great thing about this is you do this without even being sighted in at your zero point, because your doing a simulation of "if I was sighted in, what power on the scope will bracket my hold-overs?"

Hope this makes some sense.

Have a super weekend coming up!

Cheers.

“Even if you’re on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there.”
--- Will Rogers
GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I wish Leupold would do a special Campfire presentation on reticles.

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by BobBrown
I wish Leupold would do a special Campfire presentation on reticles.

Gotta love those Leupold campfire specials..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
I don't have much respect for a pig, but how do you compensate for a pig running 20 MPH at a right angle from your line of sight when it's 600 yards away. How do you know how much to lead?

Start with a good ballistic solver, and from there it's just practice, experience, and familiarity.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by liliysdad
When shooting pigs, for example, it is not uncommon to start shooting at 200, and still have time to engage runners out to 5-600yds. In these situations, there is zero time, or need, to dial.

This is probably the case where holding wind and elevation is most useful; multiple engagements of 1-2 shots each at various distances.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
There are a lot of uses for the extremes in such reticles. I have shot out 1000yd several times using nothing more than holds, making solid, consistent hits.

For my .308, for example, 600yd with a 10mph full value wind, the hold is 5.5 mils up, with 2 mils wind, and that puts me square in the usable realm of the tree. If I miss my wind hold, those extended wind holds present at the extremes give me more usable real estate to make correction. At longer ranges, there may be time to dial, and just as likely not. When shooting pigs, for example, it is not uncommon to start shooting at 200, and still have time to engage runners out to 5-600yds. In these situations, there is zero time, or need, to dial.

That helped me get a better feel for how you use both. I don't have much respect for a pig, but how do you compensate for a pig running 20 MPH at a right angle from your line of sight when it's 600 yards away. How do you know how much to lead? I simply can't wrap my head around how you know which of the Christmas tree dots to use when range may be changing quickly, your wind may be howling and your target hauling ass.

It helps to view me as a skeptic who is willing to change his mind, but all of the possible variables make me question the utility of some of this stuff. It seems to me that when critters are moving too quickly to range and dial that the variables become too unmanageable to ensure a humane shot.

Don't look anything up. Snap these answers off the top of your head. Assume you are elk hunting with your favorite rifle wearing the scope with the G3 reticle. A B&C elk is it trotting for a treeline 650 yards away. He's moving at a right angle at 15 MPH with an accompanying crosswind of 10 MPH. This would seem to be the kind of situation where you use the Christmas tree right? How long does it take your bullet to reach him? How far will the elk travel in that period of time? How much will your bullet drift in that period of time. Add the wind drift and the lead real quick and apply the correct ornament on the tree?

I don't offer the questions as an antagonist, but rather to try to get a grip on something that truly baffles me.

If we are going to be truly honest....I would never take that shot on an elk or deer. On a pig, all bets are off, and I don't really care if its a humane shot...it doesn't hurt my feelings a bit when they run off in the timber and I don't have to drag them off the field. I have no issue walking shots in, and making adjustments as I go. I will typically dial to where I think I need to be, and holdover to compensate.

Pigs don't run that fast, especially when you are shooting them with a suppressed rifle. They kinda shuffle off the field....I know that all sounds very ambiguous, but its how I do things, and why I like the scope setups I do. If I were a high country elk hunter my preferences would very likely be different, but I am not and the way things look, I never will be. I would never being to assume that my choices work for anyone else, let alone everyone else.....but I sure can't see where having more data on the windshield is ever a bad thing, even if you never use it.

Edit: I see you mentioned memorizing dope. I have a pretty good rough idea in my head of what my come ups and wind holds are, but I do have a cheat sheet affixed to every rifle. Some are on the ocular scope cap, but I have come to really like the Data Card patches and stickers. They are easy to reference very quickly, and never leave the rifle.

As an aside, I have actually begun reducing my battery to fewer rifles and caliber with the intent to get really familiar with them. As I get older, it makes less sense to have a whole bunch of stuff that I know pretty well, instead having a few rifles I am intimate with.

I appreciate your time, I do feel like I have a little better grip of the way reticles might be used. For a southern woods hunter who never needs to do anything other than hold the plus sign on an animal, some of this is a mystery. When I was stationed in Kodiak, there were no range finders or fancy reticles. We guessed range, held correction and sometimes missed.

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Old_Crab
Hi Paul.
I also really like the accu range reticle.
The two rifles I use it on are my 30-06 and my 6.5x55 Swede.
Both rifles are zeroed at 200 yards, and then I find what-power-setting I need to set the scope to in order to use the 3, 4, and 500 yard settings in the reticle.
Example: on my 06, shooting a 200 grain partition spitzer, at 2,650/second, if I set the power ring to the front edge of the "7" power, I am within an inch, high or low, at 3, 4, and 500 yards... easy peasy.

By the way, a quick way to find that power setting is this:
- Run the ballistics that give you what the hold-overs would be in inches, at exactly 100 yards, if zeroing wherever you plan to, in order to be right-on at 3, 4, and 500.
- for my partition load, those points were approx: 300: 3"-high at 100: 400: 6"-high at 100: 500: 10"-high at 100.
- go to the range with some duct tape and a ruler... make your lengths of tape matching your holdovers at 100 yards... ( 3", 6", and 10").... put the tape vertically in 3 separate bars on a target.
- go right to the target at one hundred yards and adjust your scope to the 500 yard holdover (10" long) where the cross hair and the post exactly bracket the 10".. without changing the power setting check how close that power setting is for also bracketing the 300 and 400 yard lengths of duct tape are.... get ready to be surprised, because they will also be close to dead-on.... this is because the subtensions on the accu range reticle pretty well match the curve standard-type spitzers carve through the air.

Hope this makes sense and saves you some time on finding that magic power setting on the accu range... only takes me 15 minutes to do a new cartridge. The great thing about this is you do this without even being sighted in at your zero point, because your doing a simulation of "if I was sighted in, what power on the scope will bracket my hold-overs?"

Hope this makes some sense.

Have a super weekend coming up!

Cheers.

I have 4 of the Accurange scopes, but three are on rimfires and one is on a 44 magnum. I think I get what you are talking about. I'd have to try it to really understand it. I wish I could spend a day with a tutor.

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
I don't have much respect for a pig, but how do you compensate for a pig running 20 MPH at a right angle from your line of sight when it's 600 yards away. How do you know how much to lead?

Start with a good ballistic solver, and from there it's just practice, experience, and familiarity.

One challenge I have is access to a place where I can shoot more than 100 yards!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Do you dial?

Do you use reticle subtensions?

Does anyone do both?

Do you have a need for all the markings on your scope?

Do you find yourself wishing for simpler reticle options?

First, I'll agree that I like symmetry for drawing my eye to center, especially in a hunting situation. Wrongside's description of his preferred hunting reticle sounds pretty good to me. I also rarely/never need to hold more than 5 MRAD of elevation (if more than a few MRAD is needed, then I want the precision of dialing), so a G2H or MQ with bottom post at 5 MRAD would be awesome. I use the windage hashmarks more than the elevation hashmarks, as I tend to dial elevation and hold wind for most LR shots. But that doesn't mean that the reticle markings don't get used. In addition to holding wind and lead, the reticle gets used for spotting shots and measuring corrections (in a hunting situation this is mostly done for hunting partners), measuring target sizes (on occasion), and holding elevation when stipulated in a match or when engaging targets at different distances with a shot or two each (this applies to coyotes/hogs, or in some matches there are stages set up this way).

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Near, far, moving, not moving, and time pressure, all dictates when you should dial or use a reticle hold.

With most decent ranging reticles (MIL, MOA or BDC) anything under 300 yards ( assuming something better trajectory wise than say a 30-30) is usually taken with the reticle. Over about 300 yds and not moving or under a time constraint it's usually better to dial. Moving targets require speed, and if your pressed for time, reticle holds are always faster, if not more precise than dialing. You have to give up something to get something.

There is no "one size" fits all situations. You must be adept at both dialing and holding if your attempting to shoot anything moving, or beyond reasonable bullet drop range (about 300 yds, give or take 50 yds) by holding on fur .

Faster rounds with high BC bullets can extend your reach further, before resorting to a reticle hold or a dial. Slower rounds with poor BC's will make it you use your reticle holds or dialing at much closer distances.

As far as your questions goes, I don't like particularly Horus reticles, though they have place, a Mil Dot or Mil Hash works best for me. I can hold or dial. I speak both MOA and MIL and have scopes that use both systems, although I prefer MIL.

I don't like so-called BDC's of any kind, as they are neither fish nor foul.

IMHO and YMMV

Last edited by Shadow; 02/19/21.
IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

That helped me get a better feel for how you use both. I don't have much respect for a pig, but how do you compensate for a pig running 20 MPH at a right angle from your line of sight when it's 600 yards away. How do you know how much to lead? I simply can't wrap my head around how you know which of the Christmas tree dots to use when range may be changing quickly, your wind may be howling and your target hauling ass.

It helps to view me as a skeptic who is willing to change his mind, but all of the possible variables make me question the utility of some of this stuff. It seems to me that when critters are moving too quickly to range and dial that the variables become too unmanageable to ensure a humane shot.

Don't look anything up. Snap these answers off the top of your head. Assume you are elk hunting with your favorite rifle wearing the scope with the G3 reticle. A B&C elk is it trotting for a treeline 650 yards away. He's moving at a right angle at 15 MPH with an accompanying crosswind of 10 MPH. This would seem to be the kind of situation where you use the Christmas tree right? How long does it take your bullet to reach him? How far will the elk travel in that period of time? How much will your bullet drift in that period of time. Add the wind drift and the lead real quick and apply the correct ornament on the tree?

I don't offer the questions as an antagonist, but rather to try to get a grip on something that truly baffles me.

Common sense, I would think, would dictate that LR shots under those conditions are a bad idea, I don't care how much experience a shooter has.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I have read and reread most of this, and by golly my ignorant ass learned something/you drove something through my mental barriers. Laugh at me if you wish, you all know by now that I don't mind being laughed at, but I never had considered changing magnification to force subtensions to work at certain distances. I knew that changing magnifications would move the subtensions, but I never fully "understood" the concept until today. After reading all of this, I set my rifle up in my rifle vise and experimented. A light bulb finally went off.

This really made my day.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Paul,

Not to confuse you more, but "changing magnifications" only changes subtensions of SFP (Second Focal Plane) scopes. FFP (First Focal Plane) scopes the subtensions are correct at any magnification, but are usually not used for any holds below 5x as they are too small to be utilized effectively.

IMHO and YMMV

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Shadow
Paul,

Not to confuse you more, but "changing magnifications" only changes subtensions of SFP (Second Focal Plane) scopes. FFP (First Focal Plane) scopes the subtensions are correct at any magnification, but are usually not used for any holds below 5x as they are too small to be utilized effectively.

IMHO and YMMV

I knew that as well. All of mine, but one el-cheapo, are SFP.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JGRaider

Common sense, I would think, would dictate that LR shots under those conditions are a bad idea, I don't care how much experience a shooter has.

On an unwounded bull elk, I'd agree.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by ChrisAU
I do both.

I don't like it too busy. Leupold PR1 is just about perfect for me.

There are competitions that require you to use holdovers and not dial. That is who extravagant Christmas trees are for.

They are not for the fuds, but a lot of flat bill fuds think they look cool.

What are examples of when you use the elevation dial and when you use subtensions on that scope?

A combination of both is faster. I killed an antelope with 1 shot @ 777 yards i was sighted in 2 MOA high at 100 yards and needed 12 3/4 MOA more elevation. My reticle had 2 MOA hash marks therefore I used line 6 and dialed 3/4 MOA elevation and 1 MOA windage
Dropped in its tracks

That helped. I appreciate it. Had you memorized your dope or did you have to look at a card.

I used a dope card that I printed and laminated

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I have read and reread most of this, and by golly my ignorant ass learned something/you drove something through my mental barriers. Laugh at me if you wish, you all know by now that I don't mind being laughed at, but I never had considered changing magnification to force subtensions to work at certain distances. I knew that changing magnifications would move the subtensions, but I never fully "understood" the concept until today. After reading all of this, I set my rifle up in my rifle vise and experimented. A light bulb finally went off.

This really made my day.

I don’t think you truly understand yet.

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I use subtention almost exclusively in the field hunting to intermediate ranges. 2 days ago I shot a coyote @ 340 yds. with a 17 FB XP-100 pistol, using the plex reticle in the new 2-6X WEaver handgun scope. I simply calculate bullet drop relative to plex subtention in 50-yd. intervals (in this optic) at 6x which measures 6.6' X to post tip. So for 350 yds. the entry (in my range sticker in the ocular Butler Creek scope cap cover) is this-- 35-.4-.6, range, vertical, windage always in that order as simple as possible. Now the problem with this setup in that that subtention is a bit too wide--I actually prefer the 2.5-8X Leupold that measures 2.5' at 8x, since i can get to about 300ish with it and dial the M1 turret beyond that to about 400ish yds.

The most important aspect to subtention is that subtention is inversely proportional to magnification in SFP scopes(which has been alluded to a few times in this thread), The practical application of this concept has netted me successful connections at ranges I couldnt believe many times over the many years I've been a student of subtention.

Last edited by sscoyote; 02/21/21.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (11point, 007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 54 invisible), 2,936 guests, and 1,225 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,354
Posts18,468,882
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.