Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

General question here.

I've got a 5-year-old Elusive Wildlife Kill Light 252 that came with red, green and white LED modules.

Anybody know if Elusive Wildlife now has IR LEDs that can drop in? I sent them an email but haven't heard back.

BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by joshf303
Ye have been warned...(ESP the ATN part..grin...)

First it’s “entry level”...
Then it’s middle of the road...
Then it’s dual NODs and a thermal...
Then it’s NV/Thermal overlay NODs...
Then it’s clip on thermal/NV...
Sell everything and go full thermal...
Damn I miss my NV...sell everything and start over...
Back to weapon mounted laser/illuminators and NODs...
Buy more thermal...

Rabbit hole for sure!

↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑

#1 Enabler. *grins*

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ShortMagFan
Tag

Why the crazy magnification on thermals? If a 2-10 normal scope works for hunting deer in the daylight why do I need 16 or 32x to hunt pigs at night?

I think a lot has to do with marketing - many folks think more is better........until they use it.

I'll take the lowest end possible and if the top end goes north of 10x, I couldn't care less.
FOV (at least for me) is paramount when using the riflescope atop the gun to scan as well - but that's for coyotes where one might be looking over a lot more ground than perhaps focused around a feeder or single meadow/field.

WWP53D
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Buy more thermal...

Rabbit hole for sure!

You forgot the gun part...

The part where you have certain calibers and cartridges you just HAVE to see how they work.

THEN you of course need thermal/NV to go on them.

And AMMO to feed it all.

laugh laugh

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by tjm10025

General question here.

I've got a 5-year-old Elusive Wildlife Kill Light 252 that came with red, green and white LED modules.

Anybody know if Elusive Wildlife now has IR LEDs that can drop in? I sent them an email but haven't heard back.

Maybe.

If they standardized all their modules containing the LED's starting when you bought theirs...

I'm sure they'd rather sell you a new light though. wink

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

Buy more thermal...

Rabbit hole for sure!

The part where you have certain calibers and cartridges you just HAVE to see how they work.

And AMMO to feed it all.

laugh laugh

LOLOL.
Yes, I did forget to mention that. And nothing I have in the safe is suitable for any of it. laugh

Rabbit hole is right. But I've been looking for the right excuse to offload some of the things that don't get used much these days.
I believe I've found it.

WWP53D
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Saw an ATN 3-14 at Cabela's last night it was marked at $699. Gonna keep shopping around for a sightmark.

Last edited by Sharpshooter97; 02/21/21.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I bought a 2X Wraith a month or 2 ago. Took it out several nights to test it out, and decided if I was going to need a different light, I might as well jump in with both feet & put the coin into a thermal instead. One of those nights it was below freezing, and the eyepiece fogged over, rendering it useless. How the hell are you supposed to kill something while set up calling coyotes, scanning for incoming, and it fogs up? The answer I guess is to drop a couple more grand for a dedicated scanner..... cry

Most research seemed to show thermal is/was favored over NV. The Hogster 35 is on my radar, but I'm not sure if I want to do it this late in the season. Too bad hides weren't worth more around here to help the cause.....

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

Buy more thermal...

Rabbit hole for sure!

And AMMO to feed it all.

laugh laugh

Don’t even bring up the gun end of it...😬

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by aalf

I bought a 2X Wraith a month or 2 ago. Took it out several nights to test it out, and decided if I was going to need a different light, I might as well jump in with both feet & put the coin into a thermal instead. One of those nights it was below freezing, and the eyepiece fogged over, rendering it useless. How the hell are you supposed to kill something while set up calling coyotes, scanning for incoming, and it fogs up? The answer I guess is to drop a couple more grand for a dedicated scanner..... cry

Most research seemed to show thermal is/was favored over NV. The Hogster 35 is on my radar, but I'm not sure if I want to do it this late in the season. Too bad hides weren't worth more around here to help the cause.....

Sometimes it's just temperature, humidity, etc. that fogs them up. Glass of any sort will.

I was using a handheld scanner last night, that I made up yesterday of my S. Hogster on an auxiliary battery and handle, and it was fogging up while scanning too. (Gonna start carrying a lens cloth now)

This is what was fogging...

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J

Thermal wins hands down for a dedicated hunting optic...

What you say makes perfect sense and when it comes to good IR lights it’s more than just how bright it is. The light needs to be able to “cut” through photonic barriers...IE..fog, humidity, dust, smoke, and other light etc.

There is a considerable amount of image quality in the Super Hogster over the 35. Little more money, but it being a 12 micron pixel pitch makes a big difference IMO.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There is a considerable amount of image quality in the Super Hogster over the 35. Little more money, but it being a 12 micron pixel pitch makes a big difference IMO.

I wasn't aware of that difference. So that coupled with the higher 2.9X base power probably does make more sense....gulp.....

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J

I wasn't aware of that difference. So that coupled with the higher 2.9X base power probably does make more sense....gulp.....

Just doing my good deed for the day....😂

I do think for your style and the type of country you would be hunting the 2.9x base magnification would serve you well.

Last edited by joshf303; 02/21/21.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I don't get to go hunt at night enough right now to justify spending the money for a Super Hogster. It's good to be able to read about the pros and cons with the nv scopes. I don't doubt it being a bottomless rabbit hole,but I am eyeballing the Wraith 2x and 4 x pretty hard to get my foot in the door.

Just because you're offended doesn't mean your right.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va
I did play with my new Wraith last night in the field in front of my house, but as rockinbbar pointed out, an aftermarket illuminator is needed.

I hear you on the aftermarket illuminator. But how far did the Wraith illuminator work for you?

I really didn't do a comprehensive check, but I could see things in the shadows about 75 or so yards away. One problem I had was a streetlight wanted to white the screen out if I turned to far in its direction.

I didn't see if the OEM illuminator had the ability to control the beam, either.

I did see where if I tried to look in the bushes about 125 yards away, I could see where either tightening the beam or more illum would help.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
After using the OEM illuminator, when you get a better one, it'll be like... "Oh Yeah! Someone turned on the lights! I can see!..." smile

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

I ordered a Wraith about an hour ago. You guys ...

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Geeze, a Max Million and a 6x42 is so unworthy.... I don't need more rabbit holes! I am out!

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Blame bbar, it worked for me.....(grin)

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va

Blame bbar, it worked for me.....(grin)

Resisting......

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
228 members (257_X_50, 1minute, 300_savage, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 280shooter, 33 invisible), 2,211 guests, and 991 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,641
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.