Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
To my eyes dual dovetails or Conetrols are the nicest looking mounts.
Lots of great looking rifles, but then I am a model 70 fan anyways. Ed and Chuck's rifles are built for different purposes, but they all look great to my eyes.

GB1

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Thanks Pal! For bringing this Thread back to the forefront. I'd missed a bunch of nice rifles as new Threads ever coming quickly and as quickly fading in the sunset! Your 56 Featherweight is indeed pretty much exemplary of the classic fifties era Winchester! As the 30-06, 270 Win, entire Model 54 & Model 70 wide 'the chamberings'! Considerably moreso than any other chambering across production from mid twenties to well beyond the "pre" series 70 demise. Your 'dang upstart' modern .243 Win, quite likely the game changer and 'best fifties era representation' of the newer Winchester offerings . Just my opine.

160user, we seem to be of the same Model 70 'clan'. I prefer the prewar editions too, but do include the early postwar as a continuation of that quality until prewar components supplies ran out. The clip-slot receiver of the non-magnum models into postwar, a definite clue! Quality of workmanship, definitely there and unmatched. While the safety lever orientation was scope-interference reduced in postwar editions and bit friendlier bottom metal release, the prewars still shine in notable features as the integral forged front sight ramp. Notably also carried into the early post era too! While my Super Grade 338 Win Mag Posting in a Thread above suggests; not to kick a pretty face late bloomer out of bed. smile

Below, sharing something of an exception to my general practice of not buying into customized 'pre' 70ies. German stationed soldier in early fifties acquiring this Model 70 in the Post Exchange; restocked prior to returning home bearing it. Reflecting something of European influence. Yet somehow to me, missing the real Euro-classic styling-essence! Acquired with story couple of decades ago, from a Model 70 collector purist, seeking quick sale @ $400. In 270 Win & great condition. Honorable mention to my 'other' 'pre' 70 models of earlier days. Several 1937 models, a '40 in 300 H&H and couple of '42 models. Two perhaps matching your Stith scoped rifle, of which one with a Lyman Alaskan scope other ancient Weaver. Several other Stith mounts in use as well as one or two yet in-box.

I really prefer the Lyman 48 receiver sights. Never to inlet for such, but preferring to buy guns with them in place. Of course, the last sub-design Lyman 48, around the stock contour rather than inletting! Great idea, just coming late. Below my Euro-Win70

Best & Stay Safe!

Attached Images
R401-2.jpg (26.63 KB, 423 downloads)
R401-3U.jpg (24.36 KB, 427 downloads)
R401-10U.jpg (18.28 KB, 412 downloads)
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Kinda shows your admiration for the Bruno’s you hold in high esteem. I like them too.

If your a leftist, whatever Donald Trump says or does, that pisses you off rest assured, I am a Happy Camper!
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

My fave- 1954-vintage '06, Leupold 3-9, strutting her stuff for all the range boys to see!

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Pre-64 Fwt. old style Weaver rings.

DF

IC B2

R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
An early .30-06 post-war gun...'49, I think. Redfield rings and base, Lyman scope.
Bob

Last edited by RGK; 02/20/21.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Nice looking rifles guys. I can look at model 70 rifles all day long. I recently bought a classic, but its stainless:

I also pulled the big Zeiss off and threw a slimmer Burris FFII 3-9x40 with ballistic plex on it. Its lighter and smaller than the zeiss pictured above. I just haven't taken a new picture of the rifle yet...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Jwood1284
I'll play. '56 Fwt .30-06 with a Lyman in a Redfield.

THIS is classic...

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
I
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I
Some very nice rifles! I have 2 model 70s. A 1951 .270 with K-4 that was me pappys a year older than me. My other is xtr in300 w m . XTR built in the last year of Winchester-Olin before US Repeating Arm took over 1981.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Iafarmer
Some very nice rifles! I have 2 model 70s. A 1951 .270 with K-4 that was me pappys a year older than me. My other is xtr in300 w m . XTR built in the last year of Winchester-Olin before US Repeating Arm took over 1981.

No pictures? Shame on you..

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Sasha_and_Abby
Originally Posted by Jwood1284
I'll play. '56 Fwt .30-06 with a Lyman in a Redfield.

THIS is classic...

For sure and in every way...

DF

R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
My favorite rifle...'55 M70 standard in .30-06, Lyman 4X in Redfield steel mounts.
Bob

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Nice looking rifles guys. I can look at model 70 rifles all day long. I recently bought a classic, but its stainless:

I also pulled the big Zeiss off and threw a slimmer Burris FFII 3-9x40 with ballistic plex on it. Its lighter and smaller than the zeiss pictured above. I just haven't taken a new picture of the rifle yet...

That pre64 I got off you I put talleys on it with a leupold.. it did not look right at all.. so I bought leupold bases and new Burris ff2 yesterday and it looks a lot better. The weather needs to warm up I need to go shoot it.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

That pre64 I got off you I put talleys on it with a leupold.. it did not look right at all.. so I bought leupold bases and new Burris ff2 yesterday and it looks a lot better. The weather needs to warm up I need to go shoot it.

Ha ha. Yeah, I came to that conclusion a long time ago. The pre 64's look so much better with Leupold dual dovetails, or even weaver bases and burris Zee rings. S&K's and conetrols look nice too, if you have the money to spend on them. I like keeping it simple with DD's for the most part on my pre 64's. Those are a no can do for my H&H receivers though. Those all get this set-up to look right, as I hate crap hanging off the bridge and into the ejection/loading port:

Winchester thought the H&H cartridges needed slightly more room for loading and ejecting for a reason. They wouldn't have cut out those areas in the receiver if they didn't thin they needed them...
Those are weaver steel bases with steel Burris rings.. The work quite handily on my H&H rifles..^^ Yet they are still fairly trim..

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
A pre64 7MM [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
wow GSP, I remember holding one of those at a collectors in California, almost 20 years ago, he wanted $9,000 back then.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Pre-war 270 Win.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by EdM
Pre-war 270 Win.

Nice deluxe chunka wood.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Here is my P64 Featherweight 270. My favorite deer killer

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Semper Fi
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Dandy rifle and buck!

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its
limits.- Albert Einstein
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

241 members (1OntarioJim, 16penny, 160user, 22kHornet, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 23 invisible), 1,531 guests, and 937 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,177
Posts18,465,483
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.