Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
O
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
O
I have been asked if I would be interested in refinishing the wood furniture on the demilled M1's that our HS NJROTC drill team uses. They have two usable pairs. One pair with relatively blond (birch) stocks and guards. One pair with darker walnut (I think) furniture. Two questions:

1) Preferred finish for drill rifles? I am thinking polyurethane for durability. Would also be interested to understand if there are any hints or tips to improve "grip-ability" of the finish ? I am thinking a gloss finish for the light colored rifles, and more of a satin finish for the walnut. Also, anything to avoid?

2) The painted finish and the parkerized finish are rough in places. Are there any hobbyist finishes that that can be used to restore / reproduce the parkerized finish? Titanium air dry ceracoat? Also any recommendations to repair or re-do the painted finishes?

This is a low cost project. All constructive comments and suggestions appreciated. If there is a book or other resource related to drill rifles, or related to refurbing a park finish, appreciate if you could shoot me a link or reference.

Thank you !

GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
You might find the info you're looking for by posting your question on the CMP Forum. Lotsa military experts over on that forum.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Any kind of a varnish finish on the wood would be ok for a rifle that will only see drill fields and parades (where flashy counts for more than originality). Use the same stuff on both rifles, don't get too carried away here.

(And for the record, "furniture" is the stuff attached to the stock, ie: swivels, barrel bands, butt plates, etc. The wood stock is, well, a wood stock.)

I never saw any home hobbyist solutions for mimicking Parkerizing that blended with arsenal Parkerizing or that didn't look like an afterthought. There may be something like that out there but it's unknown to me. I had a buddy, since deceased, who had a basement full of M1 Garands and Carbines and was all the time building/rebuilding those guns from boxes of parts and never found a darned thing that blended with original Parkerization. He finally gave up and set up his own tanks and started doing his own Parkerizing. (Repro stocks weathered to look 70 years old, Parkerizing tanks, hand stamps to create arsenal inspectors cartouches, barrels of parts/receivers/barrels/sights/etc., equaled a helluva pile of re-created M1's that you couldn't tell from original- and they wonder why caveat emptor applies to that kind of stuff these days.)

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
O
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by gunswizard
You might find the info you're looking for by posting your question on the CMP Forum. Lotsa military experts over on that forum.

Thank you for the reference. Did not know that place existed. Will check there if I come up with a blank here.

Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Any kind of a varnish finish on the wood would be ok for a rifle that will only see drill fields and parades (where flashy counts for more than originality). Use the same stuff on both rifles, don't get too carried away here.

(And for the record, "furniture" is the stuff attached to the stock, ie: swivels, barrel bands, butt plates, etc. The wood stock is, well, a wood stock.)

I never saw any home hobbyist solutions for mimicking Parkerizing that blended with arsenal Parkerizing or that didn't look like an afterthought. There may be something like that out there but it's unknown to me. I had a buddy, since deceased, who had a basement full of M1 Garands and Carbines and was all the time building/rebuilding those guns from boxes of parts and never found a darned thing that blended with original Parkerization. He finally gave up and set up his own tanks and started doing his own Parkerizing. (Repro stocks weathered to look 70 years old, Parkerizing tanks, hand stamps to create arsenal inspectors cartouches, barrels of parts/receivers/barrels/sights/etc., equaled a helluva pile of re-created M1's that you couldn't tell from original- and they wonder why caveat emptor applies to that kind of stuff these days.)

Appreciate the clarification regarding "furniture" versus a "wood stock". My primary interest is the wood stock, or stock sets. However, the receivers, barrels and furniture could use spruced up as well. Not looking to go to the extent of your buddy in the repro's. Just trying to make the rifles presentable. The focus of the drill team should be the cadets. Just want to ensure the rifles do not take away from their drill. I am thinking that I may need to find something "close". And then re-do all of the metal work on the rifles for consistency.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10ring1, 1337Fungi, 1941USMC, 52 invisible), 2,578 guests, and 1,107 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,312
Posts18,468,241
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.