D

Went 10 Years ago-----GREAT !

BP-B2

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
As of today, anyone entering RSA (entry by air only at present) must show a negative Covid test done within the previous 72 hours. That means for example, if you went to Zim or any of the surrounding countries via RSA, and then wanted to return to the US via RSA, you would need to get a Covid test in Zim before you reentered RSA. Sounds pretty questionable at present.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Have been sorting out travel to/from Southern Africa (Botswana specifically) that past several days and posted what I sorted out for there, while working with a travel agent that specializes in travel to Africa from the US. Since the OP is asking about South Africa specifically:

1. RSA is currently open to US travelers. You will need a current neg PCR test for Rona to get on a flt over. Current means, results were negative within 72 hrs of arriving Jberg. In addition to the "normal" thermal image they do of your face just before you hit the immigration/passport control desks, you can also expect to possibly be given a PCR test on arrival.

2. What happens if you test positive? A LOT of the outfitters have had their facilities "certified" as Covid Quarantine facilities. Means you'd have to go directly from the airport to the outfitters place and no side trips. Once on the outfitters property, you can hunt, but only on the property contiguous to his camp. Means you can't hop from area to area and back to main camp. When you leave, you'll need to have a neg Rona test to get back on the plane to the US. PCR tests are supposedly readily available and also at the airport in Jberg. What neither I or the travel agent could sort out is IF you test positive in Jberg, and IF you have a connecting flt inside RSA if you'd be able to board the connecting flt. My money guess would be, "not" but being driven directly to camp would be allowed.

3. Current as of the last few days, is US citizens CAN return to the US from RSA if you have a neg PCR test. You MAY or MAY NOT be required to do a PCR test at the US port of entry or not and be "asked" not "required" to self quarantine at home for a week.

All this is highly flexible and can change but it's the best info I can find at this time.

There are some smoking good deals being offered in RSA now and if you're flexible you could pick up some hunts for prices that might not last too long.

There are airlines that will get you from the US to Jberg: Lufthansa, Swiss Air, Qatar Air, Turkish Air, Ethiopian Air and if Emirates is not open now, they will be very soon. Delta and Continental have CNX's all flts to Jberg and I don't remember when they will try to resume.

Again, all of this is the best I can find at this moment. Everything is constantly moving/changing.

C
Cascade Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Thanks! Good info.

V
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
V
Originally Posted by dirtyharry

Went 10 Years ago-----GREAT !

I cannot wait to go on my first tourism, first experience are gold memories.

IC B2

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
We canceled Jan 2nd, 2020 and the advice we got this year was that realistically, plan for 2022.

And so, that's what we're doing....

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I’m passing through Joberg in September heading to Kasane Botswana, then onward by car to Namibia. Going over I go from Atlanta to Doha. I’m hoping this crazy crap will subside by then or it will be a logistical nightmare to satisfy the timelines and requirements for 4-5 countries.....

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Our Delta flights for end of May have been cancelled and we are working with our outfitter to try and push to the fall, realistically we probably will not be going until next year. BTW this is a hunt that was booked and payed for before all of this mess started, was originally scheduled to go May of 2020.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
TNDave - unless Delta is the only airline you'll fly on, there are several other routes/airlines that will get you to RSA. Qatar, Ethiopian, Lufthansa, Turkish and if not now, soon Emirates.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I'm booked for RSA in late august/early Sept on Delta. I'm hopeful things will go off without a hitch. With the relaxing of quarantine for exposure for fully vaccinated individuals put out by CDC this week I'm more confident there will be similar policies regarding travel in the coming weeks.

Brandon Gleason
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by M3taco
TNDave - unless Delta is the only airline you'll fly on, there are several other routes/airlines that will get you to RSA. Qatar, Ethiopian, Lufthansa, Turkish and if not now, soon Emirates.

Do these airlines fly direct to RSA from the US? The Delta flight was a direct flight from Atlanta to Joburg. I did that in 2018. I had plans to return this year but have already pushed to 2022 and have those dates locked. If I could find a direct flight from the US to RSA by another carrier I may try to go later this year as there are deals to be had!

PASS IT ON!
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
C Roy - Sorry but as of NOW, there are not any direct flights from the US to RSA that I am aware off.

Pre-Rona, there was Delta out of Atlanta and SAA out of JFK and Dulles. Just after the Rona lockdowns lifted, Delta and Continental tried to open direct routes to RSA again, but shut them off again just recently. Nothing certain when they will bring them back on-line.

NTO Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
In my opinion if you get the chance to go this yr go the outfitters can only survive so long without clients.

I am taking over 12 guys in April our united go canceled and we rebooked on Qatar not a big deal.
Also going again in July with clients and flying United then.

If you are going us a quality agent like TWG that can help you make the changes and all will be good if you need to rearrange things.

North Texas Outfitters
www.huntexoticgame.com

R2BA Auction Company LLC
www.r2baauctions.com
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
I'm hearing that Covid-19 cases including the "new strain" are spiking in RSA, be careful.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I’m setting my sights on 2023. Wish 2021 was my year but new jobs and time constraints make 2023 my goal.
Bought a sweet pre64 375 H&H that shoots really well.
Looking at Cape buffalo as my objective with some plains game for additional enjoyment.

Last edited by DingoDuk; 02/21/21.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
750 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 02bfishn, 12308300, 11point, 86 invisible), 2,788 guests, and 1,262 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,702
Posts18,400,027
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.