Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Going in for my second cataract surgery today. Had my left eye done two years ago and the Doc said to wait on the right one. Well, it's time. Last time, I was absolutely terrified but as it turned out to be a nothing burger, I'm actually looking forward to it this time. Can't wait to see as clearly as I used to once again.

I'll still have a bit of astigmatism and presbyopia, so I'll still need glasses. I don't mind that a bit as I've been wearing them for five or six years now anyway. But having 20/20 again will be soooo nice. Not as nice as when I was almost 20/10, but nice. And pretty darned good for a 74 y-o.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

BP-B2

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
My brother had both of his done a year ago.
He was worried also, but like you, it turned out to be no problem
Good luck

if a man speaks, and there isn't a woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Been there, done that. Was 20/15 back in the day, I miss that.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
My wife is going to have the surgery in a couple weeks. She will get both done a week apart. Blind as a bat now, I won’t let her drive until she has the procedure.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Everyone who's had it that I know of says it was no big deal, and they were happy afterwards, so it seems like something they have pretty down pat.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I learned that cataract removal is the most common surgical procedure done in the US, hands down.

The hard part for me is the timing. Because I'm healthy, I'm scheduled last on the day's roster. That means I have to fast the whole day. I just had a light breakfast, and that's all I can have except for water until after the procedure. I don't even go in until 4 pm, and it will likely be 8 or so before I'm released. Gonna be one hungry booger by then.

Last edited by RockyRaab; 02/22/21.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I only had a week between mine. That was a pretty rough week with 1 eye seeing great and the other out of focus. I actually had to wear an eye patch on 1 eye to see anything.

Everyone who's had it that I know of says it was no big deal, and they were happy afterwards, so it seems like something they have pretty down pat.
There's no surgery that's 100% sucessful but so many of these have been done that it's as close to 100% as any surgery can be. It's totally painless, too, even the day after. I don't think you can say that about any other surgery.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Not sure if cad
or new hip was the best things I ever did

But cad is terrifying but fortunately relatively easy

Be aware that the lenses sometimes gut fuzzy
I went last week they zap with with a laser
I was done in 2 minutes
now both cleaned with laser
my initial surgery each eye a week apart

Hank

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I had mine done about two years ago and I was pretty pleased with the results.I was 20/20 without glasses and 20/10 with them. Still can't focus on iron sights though. By last spring, my left eye was clouding up to the point it was like I had smeared vaseline on my glasses and I shoot left handed. Of course, this was about the time covid was starting to affect things and I couldn't get the laser treatment which is supposed to fix it right up so it kept getting worse. Luckily (?) the shooting season was adversely affected as well so I didn't have to compete in any major matches with blurry vision. Pretty bad now but I get lasered in a week and I'm hoping it will clear it up. GD

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by boatboy
Not sure if cad
or new hip was the best things I ever did

But cad is terrifying but fortunately relatively easy

Be aware that the lenses sometimes gut fuzzy
I went last week they zap with with a laser
I was done in 2 minutes
now both cleaned with laser

my initial surgery each eye a week apart

Hank
That happens in about 50% of the cases. It's thin membrane that grows over the new lens. A few zaps with the laser and it's gone for good. The doctor will tell you about the possibility of it. You don't feel a thing but t's kind of weird hearing the membrane sizzle, like your eye is being poached.

― George Orwell

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I'm kinda looking forward to having it done.My eye doctor told me Medicare would cover it.I turn 65 in eight months.I've worn glasses since I was five.I'm far sighted,my plus factor on my lenses is really high and my astigmatism is too.My doctor said I'd still have to probably have to wear glasses,but he said the prescription would be very much reduced.He said I would be able to see good without glasses,which now is blurry as hell,but the glasses would help with detailed vision.I've talked to a couple of people at the shooting range that have had it done and they all have raved at how clear their vision is now.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by baldhunter
I'm kinda looking forward to having it done.My eye doctor told me Medicare would cover it.I turn 65 in eight months.I've worn glasses since I was five.I'm far sighted,my plus factor on my lenses is really high and my astigmatism is too.My doctor said I'd still have to probably have to wear glasses,but he said the prescription would be very much reduced.He said I would be able to see good without glasses,which now is blurry as hell,but the glasses would help with detailed vision.I've talked to a couple of people at the shooting range that have had it done and they all have raved at how clear their vision is now.
You've described me and my situation to a T. I've worn glasses since I was 2.
My wife had her eyes done in monovision where you have 1 eye for reading and 1 for distance. The doc told me that women usually adjust to that just fine but men often have problems with it. He couldn't explain why the difference, but that was his experience. I do know that my wife has lots of problems trying to use binoculars. The focus is very different between her eyes.

I went in about 13 or 14 years ago and asked the doc how lazik would work for me. He tested me and said that Lasik only works with near sightedness and I'm far sighted. Then he gave me the 'good news', I had cataracts. Of course I asked how that was good news. He said that cataract surgery works better than Lasik, is much longer lasting, and insurance will pay for it.

― George Orwell

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Best wishes Rocky! May you come out of it with the hawk eyes of your youth!

Politics is War by Other Means
J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

If the surgeon is skilled. There are still plenty of guys doing it who arent doing a good job on even most patients.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hope your outcome is even better than anticipated, it really is amazing how much your eyesight improves after removing that clouded over window to the world. It also makes one extremely thankful to live in a time when surgery like this is so common and so commonly successful.

One downside which I discovered is that I really need to clean my stuff better, couldn't see the dust on it before. Also, looking in the mirror in the morning, where the hell did all those wrinkles suddenly come from!? wink

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
My wife had her eyes done in monovision where you have 1 eye for reading and 1 for distance. The doc told me that women usually adjust to that just fine but men often have problems with it. He couldn't explain why the difference, but that was his experience. I do know that my wife has lots of problems trying to use binoculars. The focus is very different between her eyes.

I went in about 13 or 14 years ago and asked the doc how lazik would work for me. He tested me and said that Lasik only works with near sightedness and I'm far sighted. Then he gave me the 'good news', I had cataracts. Of course I asked how that was good news. He said that cataract surgery works better than Lasik, is much longer lasting, and insurance will pay for it.

Ha, i used to tell some patients that also. Should have see the look on their face before I explained.

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Hope your outcome is even better than anticipated, it really is amazing how much your eyesight improves after removing that clouded over window to the world. It also makes one extremely thankful to live in a time when surgery like this is so common and so commonly successful.

One downside which I discovered is that I really need to clean my stuff better, couldn't see the dust on it before. Also, looking in the mirror in the morning, where the hell did all those wrinkles suddenly come from!? wink

Once a lady, who had gone many years unable to see crap, tried to sue her eye Dr for the wrinkles she got from the sx. True story.

Good fortune on the sx, RR.

Last edited by jaguartx; 02/22/21.

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

Ha, i used to tell some patients that also. Should have see the look on their face before I explained.

Ya, my long time eye doc who helped my blind azz to be able to shoot High Power successfully told me when I was like 40 that the day he found a cataract would be the day to rejoice!

He was right, best thing that's happened to me in years getting the implants. I was lucky enough to be able to afford the toric lens to fix astigmatism at the same time.

Good luck to you Mr. Rocky!

O
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O
Congrats, in advance. ;-{>8

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Been there, done that. Was 20/15 back in the day, I miss that.

Same same.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
657 members (1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 17Fan, 09wingates, 75 invisible), 2,667 guests, and 1,215 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,605
Posts18,398,367
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.