Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Heaven Hill (the distillery of Evan Williams) is quite capable of producing some excellent whiskey. Elijah Craig Barrel Proof is consistently very good. I really like Rittenhouse and Pikesville Rye, (both Heaven Hill products). Evan Williams Bottled in Bond is a great value and has been a staple of mine for the past couple years. Larceny is their wheated bourbon (wheat is the secondary grain to corn) and over the years I've liked that too but - - - - my last bottle of it was a real stinker. Something was terribly off about it and it was not to their typical taste profile. It had a nasty, moldy corn, dusty peanut funk to it. If that was my first bottle of it, I'd swear off of it forever. I heard someone say they found the same flaw in a bottle of Elijah Craig Small Batch.

This suggests to me that Heaven Hill either has quality control issues, or, is knowingly dumping flawed barrels/batches that should be discarded into their lower shelf products to stretch inventory and meet production demands. Either is totally unacceptable. It will be a long while before I'll try another Larceny. I'm guessing they got a bad batch of corn. It should have been caught and discarded. There is just no excuse for Heaven Hill to put out such flawed whiskey.

BP-B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 284LUVR
Originally Posted by hanco
Is Jack Daniels 24HCF approved ? Hard to keep track with all the opinions here.

I hope so, Wifey and I drink a good bit of it when we go dancing on Saturday nights.

Sounds like a ton of fun.

Just can’t use co cola anymore. Campfire member Saddlebred Bob says we cain’ts be drenkin in, cause somerone in idablow said so

RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Canadians make great whiskey.

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Connemara Peated Single Malt Irish Whiskey is drinkable.

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by RAS

And Yugoslavia made great cars.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by cooper57m
Originally Posted by RAS

Nailed it....

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What's a good, reasonably priced unsmoked Scotch?

Politics is War by Other Means
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Tyrone

Blended Scotch or Single Malt and what's a reasonable price for you?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I don't care about labels. If it's good, it's good. I don't think any booze is worth more than $35 a 5th.

Last edited by Tyrone; 02/22/21.

Politics is War by Other Means
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm glad I dont have expensive taste. The only Irish Whiskey I didn't like was Feckin' Irish Whiskey. That stuff woud gag a maggot! https://www.irishmalts.com/blended/feckin-irish-whiskey

Wag more, bark less.

The freedoms we surrender today will be the freedoms our grandchildren will never know existed.

The men who wrote the Second Amendment didn't just finish a hunting trip, they just finished liberating a nation.
IC B3

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Originally Posted by RAS

Nailed it....

Beat me to it grin

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

I don't care about labels. If it's good, it's good. I don't think any booze is worth more than $30 a 5th.

Ok, Deanston Virgin Oak Single Malt is a decent non-peated, non-chill filtered, quality (but young) Scotch that can be found in many places for $30. There are plenty of blended scotch that can be found for that price; Try Monkey Shoulder.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
krp;
Top of the morning to you brother Kent, I hope the weekend was acceptable for you folks and you all are well.

As I see your tastes are not that far from my own, I'll offer the following suggestions to you or any who might be interested.

When the beer flu hit us up here there was no shortage of Canadian beer, spirits or wine but some of the imported stuff began to become scarce.

As a general rule if I was in the mood for spirits, it'd be either Pike Creek which is an Ontario made product with a unique barreling program or Famous Grouse blended Scotch.

Here's a link to Pike Creek for anyone interested.

http://www.pikecreekwhisky.com/s/#!/home/1

All that to say when we couldn't find Famous Grouse here, one of the young fellows recommended I try this new product called Proper No 12 Irish Whiskey.

[Linked Image from static.whiskybase.com]

It's become a go to for me as I find it smoother than Famous Grouse, but of course as many posters have noted we all taste differently.

If however, one doesn't mind the flavor of Bushmills Black Bush it's worth a try.

Hopefully you or someone out there finds this helpful should your usual spirits be gone from the shelf or you're feeling like trying something new.

All the best to you and your fine family Brother Kent.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M

Dewar's 12 will give you a good taste of all the areas of Scotch. Some of the smokey versions of other Scotch's will sour you on all Scotch. Waite until t=your tastes develop. It can get very expensive.

Last edited by MM879; 02/22/21.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 1Longbow
Try Bushmills Black Bush

X2

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Originally Posted by RAS

Nailed it....

Beat me to it grin

mathman;
Good morning to you sir, I hope the weekend was more than less the way you'd hoped it would be and that all in your world are well.

Since I've noted on a couple posts you don't prefer Canadian rye, I was wondering if you've ever tried the Pike Creek product I've linked to above?

It's not Crown by any stretch, which I personally find too sweet in any variations I've tried.

There used to be a rye out of Alberta called Tangle Ridge which was quite nice, but it would appear there weren't enough of us that thought so.

Forty Creek gets a lot of air play up here, but honestly it's much harsher than Pike Creek for my taste buds and I'm not sure what the fuss is about with it. The same could be said for Pendleton actually in my view, as the one bottle I tried on a trip down to Oregon was disappointing to my tastes.

Anyways, just curious and nothing more sir. I'm not really sure that Pike Creek is available south of the medicine line, well or any of the better Canadian Ryes, so if one only gets to try Crown or Canadian Club eek eek eek, then I can certainly see your reluctance to endorse Canadian Whiskey. wink

All the best to you mathman.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Recently discovered that I like Irish whiskey. Always been a Scotch drinker, and I like the peaty taste, but have been sipping a little Irish whiskey lately.

Doniegal (SP?) seems to set well with me.

Virgil B.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by slumlord
Originally Posted by hanco
Is Jack Daniels 24HCF approved ? Hard to keep track with all the opinions here.

I hope so, Wifey and I drink a good bit of it when we go dancing on Saturday nights.

Sounds like a ton of fun.

Just can’t use co cola anymore. Campfire member Saddlebred Bob says we cain’ts be drenkin in, cause somerone in idablow said so

There's me! I am sipping on a diet Coke right now trying to pry my other eye open.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Try Redbreast.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular

I don't care about labels. If it's good, it's good. I don't think any booze is worth more than $35 a 5th.

Try Monkey Shoulder. The ridiculous name aside, it's excellent sipping scotch at a bargain price.

Irish? Try Teeling or Redbreast.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
822 members (06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 1234, 12308300, 10gaugemag, 79 invisible), 3,226 guests, and 1,276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,713
Posts18,400,305
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.