Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Which one out of these 5 chamberings would you choose for an AR strictly dedicated for coyote hunting? Majority of shots 300yds and under ... may stretch it occasionally out to 400yds but not likely. Please explain your reasoning. I’m going to build or buy a new AR for coyotes before next winter but I’m having a heck of a time choosing a chambering! I’m currently using one in 5.56/.223 and shooting 55gr vmax and feel I’m getting too many spinning/running coyotes. May be me, IDK 🤷‍♂️ but either way I’d like to try something different.

==================================================

I'm a proud member of the BGE cult ... yes, I consider myself an EGGHEAD
ARIC

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
How far do they run? Where are they hit? I've seen more than a few lost from hits with 308 while calling, cause the guy can't shoot for flip. not saying just saying.

Interested to hear the other thoughts too.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
They run out of sight which sometimes is not far at all when they dive into the timber. I know that when I daytime hunted with my Rem700 chambered in .204 I very rarely had runners. They dropped where they stood. So I’m not sure but regardless I’m not impressed with the .223 when night hunting.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I dunno..

I literally killed thousands of coyotes with a .223 shooting a 55gr Vmax.

It has performed great through the years. No difference in day and night performance. Not sure why amount of light would make any difference unless it's with where the animals are hit...

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Tough animals

IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I shoot two of the five you listed, the .204 Ruger is a great little round for coyote but in my opinion not at the ranges you are looking for. 200 yards and in you would be fine. I am sure someone will come along and say they kill coyotes at 300, 400, 500 yards all the time. Maybe so but in my opinion it isn't a great choice past 250ish.

The .224 Valkyrie will certainly kill at all the ranges you mention and then some. Though harder on fur, which may or may not matter to you.

I believe all of your listed choices will work within reason of yardage. the .204 Ruger being the best choices if keeping hides is your goal. If just flat out killing them then maybe the 6ARC would be high on positive features.

Have you taken into consideration the current ammo, reloading supplies situation? This could be a show stopper.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
Have you taken into consideration the current ammo, reloading supplies situation? This could be a show stopper.

This is why I’m leaning to the .204 since I already load for a couple of bolt rifles and have a good amount of bullets and powder for it currently but I just really would like to play with something else. I like the sounds of the .224 Valkyrie and the 6mm arc. I hate making decisions like this! I don’t want regrets. Lol

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by RickyBobby
Which one out of these 5 chamberings would you choose for an AR strictly dedicated for coyote hunting? Majority of shots 300yds and under ... may stretch it occasionally out to 400yds but not likely. Please explain your reasoning. I’m going to build or buy a new AR for coyotes before next winter but I’m having a heck of a time choosing a chambering! I’m currently using one in 5.56/.223 and shooting 55gr vmax and feel I’m getting too many spinning/running coyotes. May be me, IDK 🤷‍♂️ but either way I’d like to try something different.

Are you recovering these animals? Where are your hits at on the body? I've hunted coyotes for years using a Kimber 84c (single shot) in 223, mainly using the 50gr Vmax. As long as I put the bullet in the right spot, they rode home in the back of the truck. Can't see why the 55gr version would be any different.....

Kaiser Norton

The Kaiser- "If it ain't broke, I can fix that!"
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by RickyBobby
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter

This is why I’m leaning to the .204 since I already load for a couple of bolt rifles and have a good amount of bullets and powder for it currently but I just really would like to play with something else. I like the sounds of the .224 Valkyrie and the 6mm arc. I hate making decisions like this! I don’t want regrets. Lol

What is the 204 going to do that the 223 can’t?

The WSSM would be the last choice for me due to brass availability.

Valkyrie has proven to be a bit finicky and not much to gain over a vanilla 223.

I’d go 6 ARC with 87 VMaxes if you feel like a little heavier bullet at higher velocities is going to cure what ails you. My 18” 6 ARC is scooting them along at 2715FPS and it’s what I have loaded up for yotes.

But like said above... LOTS of coyotes been killed with a 223 and 55s at those distances.

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Well I have a 5.56 and a Valkyrie. I load the Valkyrie with 60 gr Vmax's and the 5.56 with 55 Vmax's.
I can't tell the difference and the coyotes can't talk.
I'm loading 60's because that is what I have.

"The more I am around people the better I like my dog." Mark Twain
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by rost495
How far do they run? Where are they hit? I've seen more than a few lost from hits with 308 while calling, cause the guy can't shoot for flip. not saying just saying.

Interested to hear the other thoughts too.

I've seen that too. Then again, I have a buddy that only uses 55gr fmj and puts them down on the spot. He's shot mountain lion with the same ammo... I don't condone it, but if you put that little bullet in the right spot, they do die fairly easy.. I guess if the OP is not going to be shooting a whole lot (just as a yote getter), the 6ARC would probably be about the best choice out of that list. One of the plusses about the 6 ARC is ammo availability right now. Someone else brought up reloading and components. A lot of that chidt is damn hard to find...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by joshf303
I’d go 6 ARC with 87 VMaxes if you feel like a little heavier bullet at higher velocities is going to cure what ails you. My 18” 6 ARC is scooting them along at 2715FPS and it’s what I have loaded up for yotes.

Thanks for sharing. This actually makes good sense!

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
My .224 Valkyrie has not had a hiccup yet. One thing going for it right now is the availability of ammo. Maybe not a wide range of it but it is available at normal pricing to boot.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
There could be a big difference in 50 and 55 vmax. I doubt it though.

Before I'd build an upper I'd try other bullets.

To me there is maybe the243 wssm with a light bullet that might do better.

coyotes are tough. They run from my 6.5 creed moor and 140 bergers quite often. not far but usually run. I've seenem run from lung shots from 300 wtby.

I know bullets are hard to find, but I'd try to find 40 ish grain bullets in 223. And I'd give them a try. Thats about what you are getting out of a 204 in a way. I've no personal use of a 204 after shooting a few. just their bullets are not tough enough for what I desire.

I'm dropping pigs right and left with 223 at night here... 75 bthp generally, sometimes 68 bthps. A few run a bit. Most don't go far hit correctly. Then again I use buckshot when the situation is right but I digress even though its often what I call coyotes with..

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
204 with a 35 or 40 gr Berger will drop coyotes with much more authority than plastic tip bullets. Its my favorite calling caliber by far if you want to save fur.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
To bad the 22-250 wasn’t an option.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I love my WSSM but I would not want it out of an AR due to brass availability. Also, it’s not a chamber that I would want to load for on a bulk basis.

I would go with a round developed for the AR, specifically.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
If your looking to stay under 300 yards try the 40g NBT at 3600 to 3700fps in your 223. Wicked explosive little bullet with a heavy enough base that it digs pretty well to. Also, the 50g speer tnt isn't that popular these days but it was hell on coyotes from my 223 during my broke college days when plastic tips costed too much.

Going longer and if you just need something different go 6 arc. I just build a nice 18" 6 arc on aeros M4 upper and lower with their nice new 15" handguard, a gen 3 prs stock, an adjustable triggertech, and a bushnell elite DMR ii 3.5-21x50 on it. I had high hoped but it's first range day it barely did better than moa. I'll try more loads when it warms up. It's going to have a hard time impressing me given the way my 6.5 grendel shoots from its 18" bhw 3 groove. My grendel is one of my most accurate rifles including my bolt guns.

Bb

Last edited by Burleyboy; 12/19/21.
J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
I like me 22 nosler but it took a bit to get it cycling right during the build process

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
665 members (1lessdog, 2500HD, 257 mag, 17CalFan, 22magnut, 10gaugemag, 73 invisible), 2,734 guests, and 1,291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,647
Posts18,399,078
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.