Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have been shooting a custom 6-06 for a while. 25” Bartlein 1:9. I set it up to shoot 105 Berger’s and the 1:9 handles those great. I had thought 1:8 but my gunsmith had built a lot and recommended the 1:9.

My wife has started hunting with this a bunch and kills stuff near and far.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I switched this past year to the 95 LRX for a bit less meat damage and better exits. Probably sticking with that for a while.

I don’t know how much more I will personally hunt with it as I am losing interest in long range shooting but is nice to have a light recoiling and accurate rifle that most people can shoot well.

BP-B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Hondo64d
Originally Posted by powdr
Probably going to be my next build. Which one and what twist for the 105's? Thanks, powdr

Going to need a long action either way, so between your two choices, I’d go 6mm-06. I’d probably go 8” twist, but might do a little reading up on the 108s, etc before making a decision.

John

I have a 6mm Rem, with a 1 in 7 twist....24 inch barrel on a Model 700 Long Action....

Seating the bullets out to magazine length ( bullets of 90 or greater weight), when compared against some of a few buddies with 240 Weatherbys, over a chrony,
mine equals them in velocity and exceeded them at times, depending on powder...

H 414 and RL 19 are Rock Stars in my long action 6mm Remington on a long action...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by SuperCub
Originally Posted by RIO7
Answer------.243 1x8 or 1x7.7 twist

Why not that combo in a 700 long action for the longer bullets?

Because a 100 gr Hornady InterLock out of a 243 Win will kill any deer or hog in Texas?

That be true (in Texas or anywhere else), but there'd be no need for a fast twist bbl then.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
If I weren't into shooting long range, and didn't plan on high b.c. bullets, I'd just buy a factory 243 or 6 creed. The extra speed from a wildcat like a 6'06 is pointless in normal hunting ranges

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I would have no use for a 6-06.Seem's tome the case has got so big that only monolithic bullet's could handle the velocity.!

IC B2

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I agree, the only reason I'd want to push a 6mm bullet that hard would be for long range...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MedRiver
I have been shooting a custom 6-06 for a while. 25” Bartlein 1:9. I set it up to shoot 105 Berger’s and the 1:9 handles those great. I had thought 1:8 but my gunsmith had built a lot and recommended the 1:9.

I switched this past year to the 95 LRX for a bit less meat damage and better exits. Probably sticking with that for a while.

I don’t know how much more I will personally hunt with it as I am losing interest in long range shooting but is nice to have a light recoiling and accurate rifle that most people can shoot well.

She whacked some dandy's!!!!!

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by MedRiver

Dude yer wife (yer whole family really) is so damned cool I love those pics of you guys hunting together.

95 LRX from that cartridge seems tough to beat.

I’ve always wanted a 6x57 AI or 6-06 with a fast twist. Very cool!

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R

Dog catcher22, I am wondering what you call long range???? Rio7

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
[/quote]

I have a 6mm Rem, with a 1 in 7 twist....24 inch barrel on a Model 700 Long Action....

Seating the bullets out to magazine length ( bullets of 90 or greater weight), when compared against some of a few buddies with 240 Weatherbys, over a chrony,

H 414 and RL 19 are Rock Stars in my long action 6mm Remington on a long action...
[/quote]

Good to know you're still "exceeding" the velocity of larger cartridges with you special loading techniques.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
MedRiver,

Good deal! And great animals.

The best non-mono 6mm bullet I've used for less meat damage is the 115 Berger Hunting VLD, due to it's moderate muzzle velocity. But love the monos as well.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I understand the rifle loonyness of wanting a wildcat or something different but If I wanted something faster than a stock 243 or 6mm rem, I'd move up to a 25-06 or a go for the gold and get a 257 Wby.

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
+ 2, couse my son has one. Laser/tack driver. PAC-NOR 26 " 8 twist.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

Good to know you're still "exceeding" the velocity of larger cartridges with you special loading techniques.

Ha! Was thinking same. I'd prefer not to be behind or beside a 6MM Rem "equaling or exceeding" 240 Wby velocities. Yikes!

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by powdr
Probably going to be my next build. Which one and what twist for the 105's? Thanks, powdr

8 twist 6-06 all the way. Long action allows for more latitude with bullet seating, COAL, etc. Also super easy to load for. One pass through a 6-06 die with a 25-06 case and you're good to go. Will scoot 105's along at an easy 3300 fps. Run the numbers on that! Pretty darn impressive. Also, you can always throttle back if you want 6mm remmy numbers. Regret selling my 6-06. It was hell on deer and hogs with 105 Hybrids at 3300.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I just went through a 6mm AI build, a 25-06 build and a new 257 Weatherby and like all of them. The 6 AI does come close to the Weatherby, 6x284 & 6-06, it may trail those by 50-75 fps maybe more. In 6mm you hit increasingly diminishing returns at the 6mm AI or 240 WBY capacities.

If you want to shoot 115s go faster than a 1-8 they shoot fine in my rifle but I am sure I am loosing some BC.

The 6-06 I think you could shoot it at 6AI velocities and maybe coax a little more barrel life out of it. Brass is easier to come by too.

Does my 6AI do anything I can't do with the 243s, don't think so except for ranges over 500 yrds or so, farther than I shoot at game, but it has more cool factor.

Standard 6mm is a better case design with longer barrel life than the 243 and usually 100-150 fps extra velocity.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
[/quote]

Good to know you're still "exceeding" the velocity of larger cartridges with you special loading techniques.[/quote]

its no different than the concept on what they are doing with the Creedmoor every one loves so much... is it?

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K

Originally Posted by Seafire

Good to know you're still "exceeding" the velocity of larger cartridges with you special loading techniques.[/quote]

its no different than the concept on what they are doing with the Creedmoor every one loves so much... is it?
[/quote]

I have never read a post where someone was going on about using a 6.5 creedmoor on a long action and seating the bullet a certain way to exceed velocities of a 6.5-06.

Also kinda funny someone calls you out on a post where your loading technique is questioned and your reply is the creedmoor lol!!! I can’t imagine how adults can be so bothered by a middle of the road type factory chambering.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K

Originally Posted by Seafire

[/quote]

I have never read a post where someone was going on about using a 6.5 creedmoor on a long action and seating the bullet a certain way to exceed velocities of a 6.5-06.

Also kinda funny someone calls you out on a post where your loading technique is questioned and your reply is the creedmoor lol!!! I can’t imagine how adults can be so bothered by a middle of the road type factory chambering.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

You can say that again.......

grin

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
650 members (10gaugemag, 257_X_50, 17CalFan, 257Bob, 12344mag, 1234, 76 invisible), 2,926 guests, and 1,385 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,670
Posts18,399,440
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.