Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
X
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
X
I’m looking at putting together a jack of all trades type rifle. Pretty good at hunting with, pretty good at the range, not terrible to carry in the woods. I want a threaded 20” barrel as the end goal. Hunting to 500 or so and steel to 8-900. Scope will be a NF 2.5-10x24

I’ve narrowed it down to the stainless tikka t3x lite or CTR. The lite is like $779 from Sportsman’s, and I found a lightly used CTR locally for about the same price.

Ctr: smoother action (I thought), threaded and 20” barrel.

Lite: significantly lighter so better for carrying/hunting, would need to get the barrel cut and threaded, more stock options for later upgrades

What are the thoughts of the campfire on this?

Last edited by xrangerx; 02/22/21.
GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
I would also take a look at the roughtech model as well. A little more moneythan the lite but is also threaded. The thing I really like about this model is the barrel contour is a little heavier than the lite, but not quite as heavy as the CTR. I know its 22” so if you are stuck on that then it would be a deal breaker.

Out of the two models you mentioned my pick would be the CTR if the little extra weight doesn’t matter.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Any time I've tried to build a compromise rifle for both hunting and range work, I've felt it missed the mark. I used a Remington LTR deer hunting and walking fields. I didn't care for it. I never wanted to carry a heavier barrel in the woods and I never wanted a sporter barrel for long shooting sessions. With that said, I'd be honest with what you'll really be doing with it. If it's to hunt, go with the Lite. If it's more for range work, go CTR.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by devnull
Any time I've tried to build a compromise rifle for both hunting and range work, I've felt it missed the mark. I used a Remington LTR deer hunting and walking fields. I didn't care for it. I never wanted to carry a heavier barrel in the woods and I never wanted a sporter barrel for long shooting sessions. With that said, I'd be honest with what you'll really be doing with it. If it's to hunt, go with the Lite. If it's more for range work, go CTR.

+1

However to the OP if I had to pick just from what you posted, I would go CRT because most people will do more range work than hunt. The CRT is more better at the range to be behind.
Oh and for the record, I have both

Last edited by pullit; 02/23/21.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I’d put a CTR in a T3 stock.

IC B2

X
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
X
Thanks all! As for the ctr in the lite stock, is the ctr bottom metal the same footprint as the lite? Or would you use the lite mags in the CTR?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Totally different bottom metal. Personally since I don’t handload anymore it doesn’t make a different for me. Never had an issue with stock mags.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I like the stock mags just fine. I tweaked the one on my 223 and I don’t shoot the long bullets in the 243 so it works fine as issued. Not that I dislike the ctr magazine. No problems with it either.

X
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
X
I guess my question was do you use the CTR mags with the CTR barreled action? Or use the CTR barreled action with the lite mags? Isn’t there a mag retention clip that is needed for the lite mags?

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
For what you have described, get the CTR. I have both rifles in a couple different chamberings. The one that gets the most play time would be my SS CTR in 6.5 CM. I don't mind the extra weight and that rifle is scary accurate! I'm running the 20 inch barrel, suppressed, and it's just about perfect for what you are describing.

IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I’d vote for the CTR. Use mine for what your wanting to do. No problems. I do like the lite/super lites but shoot the CTR more often and take it hunting more often

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by devnull

That about sums it up.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

639 members (10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 160user, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 1973cb450, 71 invisible), 3,017 guests, and 1,215 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,263
Posts18,467,116
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.