Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
shaman Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
My memory is hazy on this; I need a refresher.

If I remember correctly, flat base bullets are preferable for game unless there is a compelling reason to use otherwise. I just don't remember the details.

Why does one eschew boattails?

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
BP-B2

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Generally higher B.C. in most cases. Easier to seat maybe. Happy Trails

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Shaman,

Flat base bullets are inherently more stable in flight than boattails. So, in calm conditions, for ranges out to a couple hundred yards, in general you can expect better groups from flat base bullets.

Boattails have a higher BC, which at longer ranges can off set the advantages of the flat base when you look at a total Circle of Error Probability (CEP). The exact range where this trade off occurs depends on the differences in BC, but in windy conditions, the additional BC can make a huge difference.

Like most shooting related decisions, it's a trade off and each has to decide what best applies to his hunting/shooting conditions.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
shaman,

One theory is that flat-based cup-and-core bullets tend to retain their cores better than boattails. That was even promoted by some gun writers, back in the day when most big game hunters used cup-and-cores, rather than pay for expensive "premium" bullets like Nosler Partitions.

I used to think this too, when I didn't have much experience, after seeing a 130-grain Sierra GameKing .from a .270 Winchester lose its core upon hitting the ribcage of an eating-size mule deer buck at 100 yards. Found the jacket just inside the entrance hole when skinning the deer, but the core kept penetrating and killed the deer.

Years later, when I had several hundred big game kills recorded in my hunting notes, both mine and hunting companions I'd been standing beside, I analyzed the results and found that just about the same number of boattails and flat-bases had lost their cores.

Some rifles don't shoot boattails well, but in my experience very few. Probably this is due to a slightly large-diameter chamber throat allowing powder gas blow-by.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Somebody is bound to say "boattails come apart easier than flat bases", inaccurately treating them as monolithic categories while neglecting various construction differences.

I see MD got to his enter button before I got to mine. grin

Last edited by mathman; 02/23/21.
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If you are shooting game with a machine gun at extended distances, I am given to understand that they provide superior performance.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
shaman Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
shaman,

One theory is that flat-based cup-and-core bullets tend to retain their cores better than boattails. That was even promoted by some gun writers, back in the day when most big game hunters used cup-and-cores, rather than pay for expensive "premium" bullets like Nosler Partitions.

I used to think this too, when I didn't have much experience, after seeing a 130-grain Sierra GameKing .from a .270 Winchester lose its core upon hitting the ribcage of an eating-size mule deer buck at 100 yards. Found the jacket just inside the entrance hole when skinning the deer, but the core kept penetrating and killed the deer.

Years later, when I had several hundred big game kills recorded in my hunting notes, both mine and hunting companions I'd been standing beside, I analyzed the results and found that just about the same number of boattails and flat-bases had lost their cores.

Some rifles don't shoot boattails well, but in my experience very few. Probably this is due to a slightly large-diameter chamber throat allowing powder gas blow-by.

Thanks for the quick come-back.

In years past, I regularly substituted BT's when I couldn't find FB's. Internet sales pretty much did away with that, but now I see shortages causing one to think about things on a make-do basis.

I can't say I've had an instance of bullet failure with either, but then my habits are pedestrian.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by shaman
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
shaman,

Thanks for the quick come-back.

In years past, I regularly substituted BT's when I couldn't find FB's. Internet sales pretty much did away with that, but now I see shortages causing one to think about things on a make-do basis.

I can't say I've had an instance of bullet failure with either, but then my habits are pedestrian.

I seriously doubt that over time, you could tell any significant difference between flat-base and boattail bullets on game at the ranges you shoot, Shaman. There are other factors of bullet construction that matter far more, such as lead alloy hardness, or jacket thickness.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Years ago I bought into the claim boatails are more prone to "bananafication". and got to using mostly flat based bullets. Like Mule Deer stated, some rifles don't like them accuracy wise. Where I hunt, the shooting distance doesn't give boatails an advantage. YMMV

Last edited by Dave_in_WV; 02/24/21.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
THE EFFECT OF VARIOUS BOATTAIL SHAPES ON BASE PRESSURE
- U.S.A. Ballistic Research Laboratories - Aberdeen Proving Ground

GR

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That is an outstanding link.

Key take-away for me:

“c. For bodies of high fineness ratios, care should be exercised in designing boattailed configurations because of significant effects of boattailing on aerodynamic characteristics relative to square based designs. I^fegnustorquecoefficientappearstobeparticularlysensitive to boattailing, so much so that an improper design of the boattail may make the configuration dynamically unstable.”

- I guess I won’t be buying short boattails with too pointy of a tail -

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Above my pay grade !

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Part of the issue and prejudice for me was Speer bullets - this was awhile ago. The flat based bullets were "Hot Core" and the Boat tails were not. I think they still may be that way. So back then I avoided boat tails.
Fast forward a few decades:
I have a couple of rifles that shoot flat base bullets much more accurately than boat tails - a couple 30-06's and my Savage 99 300 in particular. In the Savage the difference is about three times the size of groups with boat tails. In my '06's it isn't quite as pronounced. But a couple are able to shoot very small groups with flat based bullets.
I suppose it really is a moot point for my deer hunting as I rarely shoot deer at more than a hundred yards and 1/2" groups or 3" groups wouldn't make a difference. But for antelope I often will shoot much further than that.
As far as performance on game since those days when I was younger, I have not noticed a difference. Perhaps when I did see a performance difference, I didn't see it as a boat tail vs. flat base bullets issue, but just a certain manufacturer's bullet - I believe that is more valid than flat vs boat tail.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Boattails are a lot more popular due to the higher ballistic coefficient fad these days, but if you're not shooting at very long range, the BC advantage doesn't amount to much. I've seen very good accuracy with a number of boattail bullets, but if I have a choice in initial load development, I'll try the flatbase first. A couple of examples I can think are the Sierra 117 GameKing vs. the 117 ProHunter and the 180 GK vs. the 180 PH. I've experienced at least slightly better accuracy with both aforementioned PHs in comparison with the GKs. I think both PHs have been discontinued. Most people just prefer the boattails.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Never had a bullet shed a jacket as far as I know. BT bullets are a long range tool AFAIC and there is no need for such things in my AO. That said I’ve never had a cast bullet shed a jacket. grin

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I tend to buy flat base in standard cup and core bullets as when I started hand loading 25 years ago a box of 100 bullets (Hornady, Sierra, Speer etc.) were about $6 -$7 cheaper than the boattails. It wasn't about the boattails losing their cores. But then I loaded a few boat tail bullets (Sierra 165gn HPBT .308 in my .30-06 and 150gn SPBT 7mm seconds in my 7x57) and never really noticed any difference. Some bullets are only available in boat tails (Ballistic Tips, Accubonds, Sciroccos) so no real choice. But if given the choice with two equivalent bullets, a boat tail and a flat base, I well tend to take the flat bases.

Just because.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Most of the time I shoot deer and antelope thru the ribs side to side under 300 yards. Most of the time the bullet exits so you don t get alot of evidence on whether that the bullet is completly intact. When I do find jacket pieces on the hide most of time it's from a boattail design. When the occasion arises that if I want to get that animal I have to take the angle offered , I allways aim for the FAR shoulder and flat based bullets that are caught seem to weather that better than boattails everytime for me. I tell what I ve found ?you do whatever trips your trigger..Mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Years ago when boat tailed hunting bullets were starting to be common there were many saying that bore erosion was increased by boat tailed bullets. I settled on loads using flat based bullets and used them through the mid nineties. I can't say that any hunting I did through those years would have been more successful had I been using Boat tailed bullets.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I once used 300 grain boattails, estimated impact speed at less than 2650 fps on a broadside deer. Bullet failed to exit, only found jacket shards! Same results on a bear of about 250 to 300 pounds. And.....these were reputed to a “dangerous game” bullet! What a friggen joke! When fired side by side to a 270 Hornady Interlock......couldn’t even find “shards” of the 300 grainer! Swore at them and off of them....23 years ago!

Maybe they’re good for small varmints and paper.....but, I guess I’ll never know! memtb

Last edited by memtb; 02/26/21.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
i used for the very first time this fall 2020 , Berger 115 gr. VLD 25 caliber bullets out of my 257 Weatherby Mag. at max. powder capacity with RL. 25 from Berger reloading book. shot 2 very nice bucks bullets went thru heart and lungs out the other side of deer . both 1 shot kills, 1st buck dressed around 170 lbs at 150 yards. 2nd buck dressed and weighed 205 lbs. shot at 100 yards so Boattail bullets for me made today work just fine.

Last edited by pete53; 02/26/21.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
249 members (257 mag, 12344mag, 300jimmy, 01Foreman400, 2UP, 10Glocks, 26 invisible), 1,697 guests, and 903 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,592
Posts18,397,932
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.