-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I bought an 80% raw aluminum lower because that seems to be all that is available at the moment. Once I get it machined, I would like to coat it, but not sure what is the best thing to use for a DIYer? Don't want to send it out for Anodizing unless I have to so I was thinking to use some High Temp Ceramic Automotive paint and bake it a bit to harden it. Anybody try this yet? How would it hold up?

TIA,
Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
GB1

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Here is what Mat Graphite black Cerakote looks like.

[Linked Image]

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
For what you want to do, Brownell's Aluma_Hyde II. It works as advertised.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
S
S
KG Guncote works well. Be sure to lightly sand blast first.

Be sure that YOU do the machining. IF you do not you may get yourself and the machinist in trouble. You must also mark it per federal guidelines. I do not know Oregon law, if it is like California you may want reconsider your project. At very least stop posting about it on the internet.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Scota4570

Be sure that YOU do the machining. IF you do not you may get yourself and the machinist in trouble. You must also mark it per federal guidelines. I do not know Oregon law, if it is like California you may want reconsider your project. At very least stop posting about it on the internet.

Mmmmm, NO.

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Ditto on the Aluma-Hyde II. Did my 1100 turkey gun about 15 years ago and still looks great. Degrease good and heat the metal and then leave it in a warm spot( I used the wood stove) for a few days.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I was going to order the AlumaHyde II in FDE, but it was unavailable so I'm on the waiting list for when it becomes available.... Anyone used the tan or coyote colors? Any pics you could send me so I can make up my mind....

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by AJ300MAG

Mmmmm, NO.

So you are saying a gunsmith with FFL can take possession of a modern firearm or finished lower manufactured after 1968 without a serial number?

Last edited by Swifty52; 02/23/21.

Swifty
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Swifty52
Originally Posted by AJ300MAG

Mmmmm, NO.

So you are saying a gunsmith with FFL can take possession of a modern firearm or finished lower manufactured after 1968 without a serial number?

Please highlight where I said that. A private citizen can manufacture a firearm (pistols/handguns excluded) for personal use. You can't manufacture firearms for sale or trade. The ATF says said individual should serialize or otherwise mark a personal made firearm for identification purposes but it isn't a requirement. What a FFL can or can't do is irrelevant to me.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You dissed him for saying that California and maybe Oregon might require serial numbers. Well in fact California and Connecticut require even 80% unfinished to have them. So state law trumps ATF.

Swifty
IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Swifty52
You dissed him for saying that California and maybe Oregon might require serial numbers. Well in fact California and Connecticut require even 80% unfinished to have them. So state law trumps ATF.

His words, "You must also mark it per federal guidelines." I'm only contesting federal part. I have no issue with the advise on someone educating themselves on state/local laws concerning the legality of a non-licensed individual making firearms. A few people have run afoul with LE due to the process they used to finish 80% lowers...

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

85 members (AGL4now, 35, Ashworth, 160user, 41rem, Akhutr, 12 invisible), 989 guests, and 725 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,221
Posts18,447,500
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.