Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
https://bearingarms.com/camedwards/2021/02/18/oakland-chief-good-witnesses-not-armed-citizens-n41193

Armed citizens should observe and report violent attacks, rather than try to defend themselves or other innocent victims, according to Oakland Police Chief LeRonne Armstrong. The chief’s statement came during a briefing on the arrest of a business owner in Oakland, California’s Chinatown earlier this week.

Armstrong made it clear that he is no fan of residents arming themselves for self-defense, even with a huge uptick in the number of robberies and assaults reported in the community. In his press briefing, the chief declared, “We don’t want our business owners or others to begin to arm themselves. We would really prefer them to be good witnesses.”

According to Armstrong, if you witness a woman being beaten and robbed outside of your store, you’re not supposed to intervene to stop the attack. Instead, you’re supposed to simply sit back and watch so you can tell police all about it after the fact.

“What we really don’t want to do is bring any additional issues that threaten safety into the equation,” Armstrong continued. “Having armed people out there tends to not be helpful. Officers sometimes have to determine who they’re trying to encounter and that also makes it unsafe for all of us. So while I appreciate those who have stepped forward and are looking to help our community members and be there and intervene, I think you can do that with your voices, you can do that with making phone calls to the OPD, but allowing us to come in and respond.”

The problem with that outlook is that police are rarely in a position to respond in time to stop an attack like the one that occurred Monday afternoon. Armstrong as much as admits that with his statement that citizens should watch a crime take place rather than try to save someone being robbed and assaulted, so they can offer their detailed description to police once they arrive.

The Oakland PD is bringing “community liaison officers” into Chinatown to help increase the number of crimes reported to police, but that’s far from the only issue at the moment.

As Oakland Chinatown Chamber of Commerce President, Carl Chan, explains — merchants and residents in Chinatown have trouble reporting crimes due to language barriers, fear of retaliation, and long wait times.

“These two officers in these communities that are non-English speaking, I think they will bring a resource that doesn’t currently exist,” Chan said. “It will give the community confidence that they can communicate directly with the Oakland Police Department in their own language.”

That’s a good move, but it doesn’t directly address the problem of the growing number of robberies and assaults that have been reported to police.

Even in Oakland, California citizens have the right to keep and bear arms for self-defense and the defense of another. While I’m sure it would be easier for police if there were no legal gun owners out there, that’s both unrealistic and unconstitutional, yet Armstrong made it clear that he believes there’s no place for armed citizens defending themselves or others.

“What we’re saying to our community is that we don’t want anyone firing weapons into our community. Even though well-intentioned, what we cannot have is people firing guns at others in our community. And so we just want to make sure that we send a clear message that it’s important that we help one another and that we come together as a community, but it’s as important that we don’t put anybody else in harm’s way, right? That we don’t put any other lives at risk by firing firearms in our community.”

Armstrong was asked by a local reporter about the fact that police may not be able to respond to an attack in time to stop it. What are these people supposed to do when they see a crime being committed right in front of them? The chief’s response? Observe and report.

“We’ll get there as fast as we can, but introducing a firearm into a situation where a person’s life may not be at risk is really something that we discourage. We’re not talking about someone’s life being immediately taken, we’re talking about someone firing a weapon into the community when at that point it didn’t seem appropriate to do so.”

So, Armstrong believes that the robbery victim wasn’t facing a threat to her life, though it’s impossible to know if the attack would have escalated if not for the presence of the armed citizen who fired several rounds. After another reporter asked the chief about the growing number of private security guards in Chinatown as a result of the increased crime, Armstrong responded by once again dismissing the idea of armed self-defense.

“What we don’t want is to create a situation where people in our community feel like they need to resort to bringing out firearms and defending themselves. That’s where we begin to cause a greater issue for all of us.”

Armstrong admitted that violent crime is up across the city, not just in Chinatown. Carjackings are on the rise, as are homicides, yet he still insists that people protecting themselves is problematic.

As I mentioned in my first story on the arrest of the business owner, I’ve heard from a law enforcement officer in the Oakland area who says that officers on the scene did not want to make an arrest, but were directed to do so by a higher-up in the department. I reached out to the Oakland Police to see if they would confirm or deny that, but was directed instead to the video of the chief’s briefing, which makes no mention of who determined that the business owner should be taken into custody.

Since I couldn’t get a direct response from the police department, I’ve put in a request to interview Chief Armstrong, and I hope that the chief can carve out a few minutes to talk over the next couple of days. I’ve got some serious questions about his philosophy on armed citizens, why he believes that passively observing a violent crime being committed is more appropriate than defending yourself or others with a firearm, and whether or not the arrest on Monday was directed by officers on the scene or by top brass in the department.

As for the business owner himself, his case is now in the hands of the Alameda County District Attorney’s office. The robber he stopped, on the other hand, fled the scene and hasn’t been taken into custody. For the moment, the only person arrested in connection with the attack is the man who stopped it.

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

BP-B2

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
He needs to be relieved of his position immediately. He can’t be in charge of people enforcing the law if he has such a blatant ignorance.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
And I'm not a fan of niqqers holding public office.

Regardless, people have a right to arm themselves and a right to defend themselves. No government in the USA has the power to deny or rescind or tax or in any way infringe on these rights, regardless of what the enforced laws now say. The enforcers of those laws act as traitors, as do those who vote to pass such laws, or who sign them into law. When traitors are given the death they have earned according to the law, there will be justice and liberty once again in the land. Until then, things will continue to get worse.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good thing he muzzled Captain whitey in the background. You can see the frustration radiate from his eye sockets.

Last edited by Ranger_Green; 02/23/21.

Me solum relinquatis

Molon Labe
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Gooch_McGrundle
He needs to be relieved of his position immediately. He can’t be in charge of people enforcing the law if he has such a blatant ignorance.

I concur. Unfortunately, he's a political animal and fits right in with the majority of police chiefs in Kalifornistan. He does the bidding of his paymasters to get that Golden State Pension and to hell with the constitution, it means nothing to him despite any oath he took.

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
He wants subjects, not citizens. Subjects can be dealt with at leisure.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
When seconds matter, police are minutes away.

I'll take my chances defending myself if I can't walk away. Last thing I want is LEO filling out paperwork over my corpse.

For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: "If a man will not work, he shall not eat."

2 Thessalonians 3:10
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The same mindset is the reason streets are lined with trash. "Someone gets paid to pick it up".

He cares more about the lives of black criminals than he does their victims.

Last edited by Tyrone; 02/23/21.

Politics is War by Other Means
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards

Imagine a bunch of modern-day busy-body women armed with cellphones in charge of the gunpowder and shot at Lexington and Concord back in 1775 when the Redcoats came into view and delivered their ultimatum: "OMG, somebody call 911!!!!"

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good witness=Dead witness

There is a war on America and America is losing
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Democrat.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
He be needing a mask.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by gonehuntin

Imagine a bunch of modern-day busy-body women armed with cellphones in charge of the gunpowder and shot at Lexington and Concord back in 1775 when the Redcoats came into view and delivered their ultimatum: "OMG, somebody call 911!!!!"

Not a good example. A battalion of suburban Karens would have had the British army fleeing North America within three months.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by gonehuntin
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards

Redcoats were the Poleece.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Take away the gun from Whitey, and Whitey can't defend himself, and he be a better target for all de poor bruths'a who need what Whitey got................that's what he is saying.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
London is calling. Feel free to cross the pond. Heard they are looking for more Bobbies. You can turn in your gun, and preach to the choir there. Fighting back and standing your ground isn't allowed on the Queen's land. American's fight back. That's what made, and still does, make us Americans.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Fugg that dummy, also, if he didn't serve, get those Stars off that collar, don't be a clown! and BTW, we request you eradicate crip/blood, ms-13 etc etc from your streets, can you do that you big fu-king fat brown vagina?

Trump Won!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JamesJr
Take away the gun from Whitey, and Whitey can't defend himself, and he be a better target for all de poor bruths'a who need what Whitey got................that's what he is saying.

Not as much whitey as the Asians. Chinatown is under assault by, "criminal culture" types. A lot of Bay Ares Asian girl activists are screaming about it, but somehow it is Trump's fault, and therefore White Nationalists, and thus "Whitey". A common stereotype is that Asians all have cash on hand and in their homes.

Me solum relinquatis

Molon Labe
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Perhaps folks like HIM are the reason I prefer to be armed.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
" ... “We don’t want our business owners or others to begin to arm themselves. We would really prefer them to be good witnesses.” ... Chief LeRonne, O.P.D.

Or dead.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
141 members (257 mag, 32_20fan, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 257robertsimp, 11 invisible), 1,456 guests, and 774 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,589
Posts18,397,897
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.