Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
I've never understood what the "poodle" added to a good Lab or Golden.

BP-B2

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
We have a golden doodle that is 10.5 and you’d be hard pressed to find a better family dog. She’s smart, friendly to anyone let into our home, has a big bark and growl for people approaching our home and doesn’t shed. Everyone who has ever met her loves her and says she’s one of a kind - even a few who aren’t dog people or only get shelter pets. She loves the whole family but is especially close to me since I worked from home the first 7 years of her life and she is my office buddy for the past year of staying home too. We had a beagle prior to the doodle and she was great but could never really be trusted off leash and we still find hair from time to time. I won’t hesitate to get another once she’s gone but she’ll be tough to replace.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
What gets me is they sell these dogs of mixed breeds for outrageous prices.
Our daughter has a pair of the small ones. They're as stupid as any dogs I've ever seen. She got a litter of 4 pups from them. She's sold 3 so far...for $1600 each.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
One of my two dogs at present is a 50/50 Shih Tzu/Poodle. Deliberately bred mutt. Designer mutt. Whatever you want to call it. Gift for the GF; she picked it, I paid. Went for a thou even. Didn’t have high expectations for it on any level, but like I said, her choice/my wallet. 8 years later I can say it is The Best damn dog I have ever owned. Hands down. Best of both breeds. Now I don’t know whether I get a full
Poodle or full Shih Tzu next. I think they broke the mold when they bred that girl, and I’m not going to chase the dragon.

Last edited by Mr_Harry; 02/23/21.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My daughter keeps kids for this couple we know up the road here, they have a black one. Nice house, and it’s an inside dog. The mfer smells like a chesapeake that’s been swimming in a cow shît pond.

Tries to run through their full glass storm door when someone comes up the walk LOL
He’s way too excited to meet people, obnoxious level. He is very gentle and friendly. But after a couple mins, it’s like jeeze GTF away from me, you stank.

IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
I
Originally Posted by ejo
I was against the doodle dogs for a long time. Thought they were ridiculous and overpriced. Still think they are overpriced but besides our late German Shorthair, not sure you can beat them for a pet. Our 11 pounder is great at finding whitetail sheds and never leaves your side.

davet: awesome looking pup!

I had sticker shock at the price, but everybody like the dog. She's happy all of the time and is a big teddy bear. If anyone is in the family room the dog jumps on the couch and lays right beside them. Has a good bond with everyone in the family and is gentle around the grandbaby.

The Bernese Mountain dog is a cow herder and general farm dog, so mixed with a poodle they are very people friendly and easy to get along with.

The hair never quits growing though. She was just about drowning in 9" of hair when I took her in for the last grooming.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I never understood the hype either BUT, 7 years ago a customer was giving away Chipoo's (Chihuahua and toy poodle mix). Mother stopped feeding them at one month. Anyway, I brought one home thinking I would get a yapper that would hear intruders. I will tell you, she is the best little buddy ever. And no I don't wear skinny jeans! I actually used to make fun of a man with a foo-foo dog. Careful whatcha laugh at!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by UPhiker

That's because you're a dumbass.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by deflave
They're the same people that believe we can vaccinate colds.
Only other thing I can see is at least they aren't pitbull mutts.

Politics is War by Other Means
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My brother and sister-in-law breeds Australian doodles out in Montana and they air ship them all over the country. It is far from a puppy mill as they have a living quarters for the vet right there in the kennel when he comes. A first class operation, but It is a full time job with no end in buyers. When he told me what they made last year selling dogs, it was jaw dropping.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
These are some good posts. Doodle dogs from standard poodles in my experience are good pets and good family dogs. The are trainable and well mannered if trained.

They are a hot fad right now. Women go for them. "Oh, they don't shed? I like that!".

Standard x Lab or Golden = a tall dog that can be #75-#95 pounds. Not a small dog. Not an apartment dog. They need exercise. They will play fetch for hours. They like water. They are like a clumsy pony in the house. Depending on their food, they will crap like a buffalo. They are good with small children, but really are too big for kids under 4. Knock them or their asses by walking by. My daughter has a very pleasant Golden doodle. It's all of the above.

If you like Labs or Goldens or standard poodles, you will like the designer mixes. Avoid the mini ones.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My labs go down there and dry hump that doodle whenever they get to feelin their oats. It’s just on the side of our farm.

Brokeback Doodle

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Windfall
My brother and sister-in-law breeds Australian doodles out in Montana and they air ship them all over the country. It is far from a puppy mill as they have a living quarters for the vet right there in the kennel when he comes. A first class operation, but It is a full time job with no end in buyers. When he told me what they made last year selling dogs, it was jaw dropping.

Does he guarantee their health for a year and how many years does have with this designer breed? Does he provide, eyes,penn hips, OFA, health certs?

He built living quarters especially for the vet?

Last edited by ribka; 02/23/21.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
They don't shed, at least not as much, and they're supposed to be non-allergenic.
Get a large one bred from a standard poodle. Some of the standards still have some brains. The small ones are bred from toy poodles and the toy breed is as stupid as dogs can come. They've bred them for small size and zero brains.

If you want to go bigger....check out a Royal Poodle.

Due to the increased price of ammo, don't expect a warning shot...
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
$$$$$ is why they are bred!

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MPat70
I never understood the hype either BUT, 7 years ago a customer was giving away Chipoo's (Chihuahua and toy poodle mix). Mother stopped feeding them at one month. Anyway, I brought one home thinking I would get a yapper that would hear intruders. I will tell you, she is the best little buddy ever. And no I don't wear skinny jeans! I actually used to make fun of a man with a foo-foo dog. Careful whatcha laugh at!

The father of my best friend in high school was an old school manly man - mechanic who owned a gas station, loved nothing better than to go to the dirt track and watch old beater car races and drink beer, that type of guy.

His wife bought a male white toy poodle she named Peppy, little yappy thing of about 12 pounds. He was aghast at first but apparently it won him over since it would always sit in his lap while they watched TV, except when someone walked by the house when it would jump up to the window and bark its head off. He never called him Peppy that I heard but always called him "Little Man".

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by UPhiker

It adds nothing but troubles.. And how do you get an 11# doodle from a Standard Poodle and a Labrador Retriever???? Impossible!!!

Last edited by Natty_Bumpo; 02/23/21.

NRA Life Member
"Use Enough Gun"- Robert Ruark
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by davet
Wife bought one of these things. Bernedoodle. Bernese Mountain dog and poodle.

It's be a fun dog, but the grooming is pretty excessive. No shedding though, and a good disposition, which is nice since she's 85lbs.

[Linked Image from images.squarespace-cdn.com]

Lol, look at them fuggin' Elephant feet!

Good looking dog, I like it!

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Have a bud in Memphis, big truck repair: keeps a standard poodle in the repair shop at night. That will eat your ass alive. I asked him he was feeding that mfer gunpowder. Sheesh!!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ribka, I don't know all that stuff, but pm me and I can put you in touch with Kev if you want. Australian doodles are around 35# and just nicely dog size. Much as I like bigger dogs, my yellow lab could put his front paws on my shoulders and I'm 5'10". He was anything but portable and shed enough for two dogs. A friend of ours has two golden's in the house and I make excuses to stay outside because the whole house smells like a golden retriever. There is something to be said for non-shedding and hypoallergenic.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
664 members (1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 17Fan, 09wingates, 75 invisible), 2,678 guests, and 1,213 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,608
Posts18,398,386
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.