Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I came across an article that might interest you. It was published in the Spring 2006 edition of the Journal of Economic Perspectives and was written by an Emeritus Professor of Economics at Harvard named David S. Landes. The title of the article is "Why Europe and the West? Why Not China?". It speaks of European superiority since the 1500s and the inversion that is bringing Asia to the front, ahead of Europe and North America.

Make a list of advances that have been made by aboriginal people from Africa, Australia, North America, and South America during the past 500 years, it will be a short list.

GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
I came across an article that might interest you. It was published in the Spring 2006 edition of the Journal of Economic Perspectives and was written by an Emeritus Professor of Economics at Harvard named David S. Landes. The title of the article is "Why Europe and the West? Why Not China?". It speaks of European superiority since the 1500s and the inversion that is bringing Asia to the front, ahead of Europe and North America.

Make a list of advances that have been made by aboriginal people from Africa, Australia, North America, and South America during the past 500 years, it will be a short list.

I don't understand why aboriginal? Many aussie and USA people have European heritage.

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

I don't understand why aboriginal? Many aussie and USA people have European heritage.

I think that the point is that the aboriginal peoples of those four continents haven't contributed to the advancement of human kind nearly to the degree that Europeans and people of European ancestry have. Europeans explored and colonized, to one degree or another, the rest of the habitable continents. They brought technology, religion, governmental organized, etc. I'm not saying that aboriginal people haven't suffered because of their technological inferiority, but in most cases they weren't able to stand up to European expansion and have embraced more European ways than they have rejected.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
We build civilizations, and we can annihilate them just as well when pushed to it. God may have created all men equal, but we have sure as hell done more with what He gave us than the rest of the world put together, and those who want us gone have no idea what they are asking for. Some small part of me would like to see them get it.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
That's why the US had rescue them 2x from Hitler

IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
It's more of a philosophical debate. The different groups developed their societies differently based on their environmental conditions and needs, all successful in their own right. Civilisation and technology are deemed to be "superior" and allowing the others to be judged and "technology shamed" - just another type of prejudice.

Really, who is the better? The Australian aboriginals survived extremely well in a largely harsh environment for 60,000 years, with a snake as their god. They didn't have the "genocidal" fights that the eastern religious crew did, and continue to. The aborigines were far more "civilised" and had a respect for others and their natural resources.

According to evolution we all come from a group of survivors in Africa. According to popular Christian religion we all came from a man cloned and an incestuous relationship that kicked things off.

Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Golly......those poor bastards with out high interest credit card debt....studen loans......working endless hours to make Warren Buffet richer.

Not being owned by Wall Street, big business and the banks?

Those poor bastards....

I am MAGA.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Here’s why, “Guns, Germs & Steel” some guy wrote a pretty good book documenting it. Google it probably on YouTube also.

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Threads like this are why I choose to use my real name.

(not saying a damn word)

Buncha fricken racist mofo'rs.

lol

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by ldholton
You got an F in history, didn't you?

IC B3

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U

So Mr White European, what great advances have you personally made, or are you just riding the coattails?

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I got put in charge of a global team effort where I have about about 60 people each from America, Europe and Asia

Without question, the Europeans are the most self entitled lazy bastards I've dealt with in awhile. Throwing attitude at me because I had the nerve to ask them why they were a week late on their deadlines after we notified them 6 weeks, 4 weeks and 2 weeks before it was due. I've been dealing with them all week. They think Americans are too focused on work because we won't sit in a cafe over espresso and talk politics for 2 hours before we start our day.

The American's have their issues but at least they are willing to put in the time to get it done before it becomes critical. and if they are late its because they are busy on other projects.

The Asians are ok, if you spell out what has to be done and when at very basic levels without ambiguity they will deliver, but you can't count on them to fill in the blanks on their own.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by ldholton

Well, once from Hitler, & the other time some other Kraut.

But yeah, I get your drift.

They've snubbed us many times after that, & I think Mr. Trump, finally, after all these years, said fugg them.

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Ever hear the saying.... Which part of Europe are you from, the part whose azz we kicked or the part whose azz we saved?

I sure could go for some $2.50/gal gas and a mean tweet!

NRA Benefactor member, disgruntled.
Life member: Firearms Owners Against Crime.
Life member: GOA
Member: RMEF

TRUMP 2020
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
to what?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by bobinpa
Ever hear the saying.... Which part of Europe are you from, the part whose azz we kicked or the part whose azz we saved?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by UPhiker

So Mr White European, what great advances have you personally made, or are you just riding the coattails?

Read the article, agree or disagree, I happen to think that he makes a strong case.

No, I haven't personally contributed to the advancement of human kind, have you?

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Some of the women are sort of pretty, and the breads are good.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
O
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by UPhiker

WTF?

Last edited by OSU_Sig; 02/23/21.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

No, I haven't personally contributed to the advancement of human kind, have you?

Does buying a 6.5 Creedmoor count?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

677 members (1_deuce, 1beaver_shooter, 1eyedmule, 1minute, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 62 invisible), 3,047 guests, and 1,338 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,698
Posts18,456,710
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.