-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 11 1 2 3 4 10 11
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Seriously though, I kind of want to hunt elk on horseback. Maybe not completely exclusively. When horseback riding in central Colorado, I often have bumped into elk far more regularly when travelling on foot. Also, just seems like it would be fun.

GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

Only experience is 2 cows. Wife and I each 2 trips. In our 50s. Big bull may require another round trip

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Have a good bud who just packed out a tatanka. Solo. On his back. Round trip was 8 miles. Took him 14 trips and he's a badass....

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I'm not a badass anymore, so I cheat......

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by huntsman22
I'm not a badass anymore, so I cheat......

He's 54....grin...

- Greg

IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Tatanka packing. As an old-timer once said, "now that's man's work."

A wise man is frequently humbled.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by GregW
Have a good bud who just packed out a tatanka. Solo. On his back. Round trip was 8 miles. Took him 14 trips and he's a badass....

Think I am just going to have the butcher come out with his kill truck and take care of my steer. No 14 trips for me! A big mulie is one thing, a bison is something in a different realm....

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
He's 54, 150 soaking wet and a badass.....

Took him only 2 1/2 days. Luckily it was cold...

- Greg

S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
The most badass guy I ever packed a load with was 145 soaking wet.

Sheep guide, smoked my ass. I told him "remind me to never pick a fight with a sheep guide."

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

Like momma said, if you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tuff.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Five middle aged guys, but it was a Roosevelt, four of them were studs.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by smokepole
You experienced elk hunters, how many young guys do you bring with you to pack out your elk?

Can you get away with just one, if he's a hard worker?

Horses, mules, and llamas don't count.

Well.......
I packed out my Utah bull all by my lonesome.

My son and I killed our Colorado bulls a 100 yds and 3 seconds apart. I did notice by the time I got to the truck with my 1st load my 21 year old son was already back at the kill site strapping on another load. Doesn't seem that long ago I was hearing "Wait dad". "Slow down dad".............

In both cases it was relatively flat ground but some really thick azz timber. It's been a while since I have had to carry an elk on my back, but but at 64 years old it wasn't as bad as I feared.

I can't remember how to post a pic from the gallery so here's the link blush

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/galleries/15828858/packing-elk

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I have only shot bison from the rear tire of a jd7210, single pack trip. I would grumble a great deal if packing a whole bison out very far.
My niece shot her first elk last fall. We quartered and brought it out in 4 trips. She carried a lot of it.
She is maybe a buck and quarter with the pack and elk on.
Mile and a half in with a large ridge between kill and truck.
She was pretty thrilled.

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Hell of a business model.

Originally Posted by Judman
Originally Posted by SLM
Read you loud and clear.

It’s funny how many threads here and everywhere else about bullets, rifles and how β€œtough” elk are to kill, but very little about the stuff that actually makes or breaks the hunt before and after the shot.

A good 15 to 20 on the Zamberlans before they go anywhere.

Think I’m going to start recruiting 20 to 30 year old females at the gym and start a Sherpa business.

You be a millionaire in a couple years!! Haha that’s a hellava idea!!

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
That is a badass.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

All that just reaffirms my theory that the bigger a guy is and more muscle they have, the more weight they need to pack up and around in the mountains. Every time I hear folks recommending to newbie elk hunters to gain muscle (as opposed to just getting in better shape) I always think back to my days of hunting with University of Idaho football players. Great athletes they were, but I'll be damned if they could make it a mile up a ridge with only a relatively light pack on. Getting an elk out? They never even could get to the elk to shoot one.

I'm 6' 1" and 155 lbs. I love being a bad ass.

V
Vek Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Originally Posted by T_Inman

All that just reaffirms my theory that the bigger a guy is and more muscle they have, the more weight they need to pack up and around in the mountains. Every time I hear folks recommending to newbie elk hunters to gain muscle (as opposed to just getting in better shape) I always think back to my days of hunting with University of Idaho football players. Great athletes they were, but I'll be damned if they could make it a mile up a ridge with only a relatively light pack on. Getting an elk out? They never even could get to the elk to shoot one.

I'm 6' 1" and 155 lbs. I love being a bad ass.

My experience with hunting with skinny underweight people is uniformly poor: slow going up, slower going down, and glacial with a load. Very limiting.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Huh....interesting. Thanks for that perspective but I have never been told that before, at least on a uniform basis.

I've seen a roughly even mix of skinny, mid sized and even some bigger dudes be able to run the mountains, but as a rule the bigger they are (not just gutted or fat, but also meatheads that can bench a fridge) the slower they have been. Some still make it because they're determined to, but are usually slower getting there. I've seen plenty of bean poles that can't make it either, but it is more mental on their part than physical, I think. I am sure exceptions exist on all levels.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I was talking to some movers about this once, when they were moving our furniture. An example of one, but they said basically that smaller wiry guys did better than big beefy guys, moving furniture.

They were small wiry guys and did some impressive stuff.

I think a lot of it has to do with how a guy trains and comes by the bulk. I see some big dudes in the gym that look like they could move mountains but I never see them lifting a lot of weight. Just a lot of reps to build bulk.

Then there are the normal-looking unassuming guys that load up the squat rack and do twice their weight with no problem.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
My partner and I once brought out an elk 4 miles on a loggng road in a garden variety wheel barrow. Granted, it was mostly down hill. The few uphill spots we encountered weren't nearly as much fun as you'd expect. It sure beat back packing it.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Page 2 of 11 1 2 3 4 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

607 members (12344mag, 19rabbit52, 10Glocks, 219DW, 16penny, 160user, 47 invisible), 2,018 guests, and 1,143 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,237
Posts18,447,813
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.