Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Nollij
Originally Posted by jackmountain
It’s a pre ‘64 Winchester made in 1972. Back when they made them right. How do you even reply to that?
Did pick up some jerky, a dream catcher, a Chinese made knife and sampled 6 different kinds of pickles though.

I would like to own any caliber 1964 Winchester Model 70. I figure that maybe with that rifle, I could dispense with the pre and post crap for good.

That has got to be the rarest of all, in fact ANY Winchester made in '64 must be worth a mint................. I have NEVER seen one advertised. Or heard of anyone owning one.

Last edited by Muffin; 02/23/21.

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the comments guys. Never been to a gun show and never will. Sounds like the same convention of losers you find at garage sales.

Last edited by UncleAlps; 02/23/21.

God Bless America
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
The pay to enter , one must look at that as price for entertainment.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
most if not all you hear at at gun show know a days is as full of chit as a Christmas goose

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Last gun show I attended (Few years ago) had some decent reloading supplies and reputable rifle builder had 5 rifles he built and brought to the show to sell. Very fair prices for what he had, just nothing I felt like paying for. Walked out with a nice Sako 06 with a nice Leupold vxIII on it. Took a bunch of haggling to come to agreement on a price, but finally walked out of there with a fair deal.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
To put on a gun show, an organizer first has to find and rent a large facility which doesn't come cheaply. Then they have to rent tables and chairs if those are not included in the facility rental, and either set those up themselves or pay someone to do so, then take them down and make sure the facility is cleaned. Or they have to buy enough tables and chairs and then have those transported to the various locales, often hundreds of miles apart. They have to pay for 24 hour security typically from a Friday through Sunday. They have to buy insurance and advertising, then there is all the time spent in administering all of the aforementioned.

If they don't advertise enough and public turnout is poor then fewer vendors will rent tables for their next show. It it's administered poorly then same thing, fewer vendors rent tables for the next one. Fewer tables and/or fewer vendors means the public feels cheated so they don't come back.

Their sole sources of income to pay for all of that are table rentals and entry fees. Income from table rentals is maxed out at the number of tables available so their income is mostly determined by how many people show up.

It's not a cheap undertaking but a well run show does generate a good income. Our gun club used to put on one show each year in a large facility - the Western Idaho Fairgrounds. It was a major project and cost several thousand dollars to put on but it was well run and had a good reputation among vendors and the public so turnout was generally very good.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Paul39
Originally Posted by Kenneth
The concept of paying to enter a Gunshow,

Would you pay to enter your Local gun shop,

Would you pay to walk into Cabelas?

After I attended a Gun show here maybe a month ago,

I walked out shaking my head, I knew better but still went.

Never again.

Interesting POV.

Kind of like paying for logo gear, caps, shirts, etc. Years ago businesses gave them away for their advertising value. Then they learned that folks would pay for them.

Want me to advertise your stuff? Fine, here's my fee schedule.

He has a point. Kinda like paying to go to a new car autorama -you can see them for free in a dealership. But since there are 'antiques/classics' at a gunshow it's like paying to go to an antique/classic indoor car show - you're helping defray the promoters cost of building rental.

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ldholton

The Dallas Safari Club convention is the only 'gunshow' I attend anymore - much better class of folks and some of the finest firearms to be had. Better booze on tap, too. You can walk out of a DSC show with a fine English S/S shotgun and a booked trip to hunt Marco Polo sheep, you can't beat that.

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
The shows are like a fishing trip.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gonehuntin
The Dallas Safari Club convention is the only 'gunshow' I attend anymore - much better class of folks and some of the finest firearms to be had. Better booze on tap, too. You can walk out of a DSC show with a fine English S/S shotgun and a booked trip to hunt Marco Polo sheep, you can't beat that.
I’ve been to those in the distant past. Enjoyed em’. Kinda upscale. The one’s I went to were at the Anatole Hotel.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by blanket
most if not all you hear at at gun show know a days is as full of chit as a Christmas goose

Uhh, yeah.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by gonehuntin

Yep.

The local shows are okay and are generally held at good venues. There are deals to be had at most of the shows.

But I haven’t been to one lately and since the latest price craze has been in force.

J
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Old_Toot

Uhh, yeah.

Only place you’ll hear more lies than a fishing boat is a gunshop

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Originally Posted by Old_Toot

Uhh, yeah.

Only place you’ll hear more lies than a fishing boat is a gunshop

Deer camp too, Jack!

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
This one time in VA...

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I have seen guys in ghillie suits walking around at gun shows, probably sweating like crazy in those things, not to mention looking foolish.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I got more into it than that. lol

Due to the increased price of ammo, don't expect a warning shot...
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I can't even get them for that.

Due to the increased price of ammo, don't expect a warning shot...
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Years ago, my BIL and I were walking through a smaller show. A table on the back wall had a poster board hanging from it with [something along the lines of], “DIVORCE SALE - Don’t let the b!tch get my stuff.”

We were chuckling about the sign as we walked by when the table guy said, “Y’all check this out!” We stopped... he had a 50 BMG rifle on the table and a round in his hand. He said, “This right here is 750 grains of diplomacy!!!”

We still laugh about that one to this day...

Shows sure do bring out the characters, and the body odor.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BobBrown
This one time in VA...

Easy, now....That's my territory. Can't have competing and possibly superior lies about this area....

Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
643 members (1badf350, 09wingates, 2003and2013, 007FJ, 160user, 67 invisible), 2,625 guests, and 1,169 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,601
Posts18,398,282
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.