Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
The content ranges far beyond the title, but this thread is an excellent read.

http://smith-wessonforum.com/concealed-carry-self-defense/638212-snubby-vietnam.html

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
That was outstanding

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Great thread dirt. Thanks.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Glad you enjoyed it fellas. Mesmerizing. That one doc has had a full life. His documentary photos and accompanying stories are something else. How he dealt with his wife leaving him while he was in the bush was a story in itself.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Tour 1 for me and chopper jockeys were issued S&W .38s with a shoulder holster. One of my classmates got shot down and was ejected from the bird when the hit dirt. Woke up face down with NVA poking him in the ass with bayonets. His hand was by a quirk of fate holding the butt of the pistol. He said later that he preferred death to POW status, so he rolled over, drew his piece and killed his 3 tormentors.

He liked his .38 quite a bit.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Tour 1 for me and chopper jockeys were issued S&W .38s with a shoulder holster. One of my classmates got shot down and was ejected from the bird when the hit dirt. Woke up face down with NVA poking him in the ass with bayonets. His hand was by a quirk of fate holding the butt of the pistol. He said later that he preferred death to POW status, so he rolled over, drew his piece and killed his 3 tormentors.

He liked his .38 quite a bit.

I'll bet he did. Incredible.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Can't be. Everyone knows those 130gr FMJs are useless. whistle

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Glad you enjoyed it fellas. Mesmerizing. That one doc has had a full life. His documentary photos and accompanying stories are something else. How he dealt with his wife leaving him while he was in the bush was a story in itself.

That's some good stuff right there! Thank you.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Good writer and fantastic photos.

Great read.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Excellent post, LD

Thanks

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Tag

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks for the link, L D, been working my way through it this evening.

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by websterparish47
Can't be. Everyone knows those 130gr FMJs are useless. whistle

True. He had to shoot 3 times.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Great link - thanks!

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
My dad was a young Marine in Korea, went there at 18 yrs old, In a Marine Long Range Recon Unit...

His 1Sgt told him and everyone else to go over to the PX there in Japan and buy a couple of side arms to carry with them in Korea..
Told them a 22 Revolver and a small, but larger caliber...

My dad picked up a 9 shot 22 Revolver and then some sort of 32 Caliber, 5 shot revolver...

1 Sgt had used the 22 Revolver in WW 2, doing a lot of behind enemy lines missions...

he told the troops, he's seen Japanese soldiers get run thru with a K bar, and then shoot a Marine in the back, when the Marine thought he was dead..

A 22 behind the ear, left them on the ground shaking profusely as they died... but they wouldn't shoot any one in the back....
and the 22 didn't make much if any noise to be heard...

he gave me both when I turned 18... he had tears in his eyes and told me he never wanted to see them again...

coming up behind enemy sentries, he'd throw a hand over their mouth, while he shoved the 22 behind their ear and pulled the trigger...
then let them drop.....he was doing this as an 18, 19 and 20 year old Marine Sgt.... the Korean War ended on his 21st birthday... July 27, 1953....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Seafire, great story, thanks for sharing.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by local_dirt
The content ranges far beyond the title, but this thread is an excellent read.

http://smith-wessonforum.com/concealed-carry-self-defense/638212-snubby-vietnam.html

Outstanding read.......

BT53
"Where do they find young men like this?" Reporter Savidge, Iraq
Elk, it's what's for dinner....

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Indeed outstanding. The pictures are great. I don't know if it's just my impression but there is a special hue/color/tint in the pictures I only know from Vietnam era pictures.

BTW, has anyone of you been watching Ken Burn's Vietnam War documentation? I haven't yet but I would like to buy it. In Germany I can get a cut/shortend version, "Cut in Germany" or from the UK (same regional code) the complete series. But before I spend 65 Euros I'd like to know it it's worth. The German cut version will never find its way to my home.

Elmer Keith
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Back in the 1960's, a friend of the family married a soldier that was stationed at nearby Ft. Campbell KY. He was sent to Vietnam, and wrote back to his wife and told her to buy him a pistol and send it to him. His wife's father knew my dad was always trading guns, so he asked him to find a pistol for them. Dad found a 38 snubby, the make I do not know, and they sent it to the soldier.

That was all of the story that I knew at the time. Fast forward a number of years, and this guy is out of the army, and he and his wife are attending our church, where he later becomes the pastor. I asked him about the story, and he said what happened was that his platoon had been attacked and overrun, and that the gooks had shot a number of the wounded Americans, and he then decided he wanted a concealable gun.............just in case. Thankfully he never had to use it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks Greg, great read !

Patron member, NRA, Life Member SCI,
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

640 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 1936M71, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 80 invisible), 2,550 guests, and 1,263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,688
Posts18,456,480
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.