Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Stilllearning

Would you care to share the plans for this

I hope this works

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bb_cm10J8urCM2PtKql8VyHtGlovTeI3RnAj7xa0eX0/edit

GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

I use a simple torch and roll the case in my fingers for a fixed time, at a fixed position in the flame. Certainly not the most sophisticated or consistent method, but it prevents split necks and neck tension is consistent enough that my groups and velocity dispersion are small enough for my needs.

+1

Sometimes we get to overthinking things.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by CGPAUL
So then MD and some other guys are all wet when it comes to using the cheap, but useable candle method? Or. do you just feel the need to spend money?
To speed things up a little, I do the torch, finger, 5 second deal. Roll the heated brass on my cool cement floor. YMMV

Last I knew I believe John said he used the Anneal-Rite.

Have you tried the candle method with 750 degree Tempilaq on the inside of the neck?

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
No..use the 4-5 second finger heat method.

I also like to "feel" the neck resistence when I pull the dreaded expander ball through the neck when resizing. Smooth and even, I`m happy. Produces ammo that shoots well.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I learned this from Fred Flintstone.....

I hold a case in a propane torch flame for 6 seconds with a pair of needle nose pliers...

Nowadays I do it ever reload..... so far 6.5 Grendel brass from Hornady has exceeded 25 reloads now...
and I don't consider Hornady a real great brass....

Years ago after reading Lapua's web site, I read to where they got over 300 loadings from their brass at the factory testing stuff..

so I took 10 pieces of range brass in 223, and reloaded them over and over with 55 gr FMJs ...
and annealing for 6 seconds in a propane torch flame for 6 seconds every 4th reloading....

Remington range pick up brass....I quit the experiment at 101 loadings...

Neck size and body die for resizing....

nothing fancy but it is giving me long service life out of my brass and none of it is Lapua...

just a little prudence on the powder scale and that also can dramatically extend brass life out quite a bit...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

IC B2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H

I use a simple torch and roll the case in my fingers for a fixed time, at a fixed position in the flame. Certainly not the most sophisticated or consistent method, but it prevents split necks and neck tension is consistent enough that my groups and velocity dispersion are small enough for my needs.

If you loaded 1000 cases and annealed them with this method, why not just spend a couple hours at work and the overtime pay would allow you to buy 1000 rounds of brass and just keep reloading and throw away the cases when they get a split neck. It would save enough time and the accumulation of brass without split necks would give you enough brass, you could let them fly out on the ground and not even pick them up.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt.../re-once-fired-fc-223-brass#Post15773699

Originally Posted by RJY66

I was thinking the other day how much I used to hate Bill Clinton. He was freaking George Washington compared to what they are now.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I agree that you have to consider volume, cost, and availability when deciding if annealing is worth it. If using range pickup brass in an AR, maybe you just reload them until the necks split or need to be trimmed and then throw them out and get more. But on the other hand, 100-200 rounds of Lapua or Alpha brass will last as long as most barrels, if annealed every few firings, and it is very good brass. At $100+ per hundred and limited availability, I want to make that stuff last as long as possible, and will spend the money on powder and bullets instead of new brass after just a few firings.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
That’s why I’m going borrow my friends bench source and get my own when available again. I still use a few Ackley chamberings and prep my cases. So I’ll anneal to extend the life of those cases due to my labor as well as my expensive brass.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I agree that you have to consider volume, cost, and availability when deciding if annealing is worth it. If using range pickup brass in an AR, maybe you just reload them until the necks split or need to be trimmed and then throw them out and get more. But on the other hand, 100-200 rounds of Lapua or Alpha brass will last as long as most barrels, if annealed every few firings, and it is very good brass. At $100+ per hundred and limited availability, I want to make that stuff last as long as possible, and will spend the money on powder and bullets instead of new brass after just a few firings.

This^^^

And.....given the Panic Pandemic new brass ain't necessarily easy to come by. And.....a lot of brass isn't annealed from the factory, and by annealing it makes it easier to get straight necks (I've proven this to myself) and more consistent neck tension.

Reloading isn't (usually) a chore to me and I enjoy it--it's a hobby within a hobby, and a lots of methods can be employed to make more accurate ammo.

Last edited by alpinecrick; 02/13/21.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I really can't justify the cost of annealer, I use the candle method which has worked well, but I'd agree the soot is a problem. I've also the torch, but basically eyballed the colour change in the brass neck and shoulder, then dump them on a wet towel. Nothing to do with quenching, just how I do it and seems to work.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I posted a question related to your post over in the Gunwriters Forum a few days ago and received some great answers that really helped me think about Annealing in a more complete way. I had many questions that you might have as well.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...-life-can-one-really-expect#Post15805487

Tim

Last edited by PintsofCraft; 02/24/21.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by HitnRun

If you loaded 1000 cases and annealed them with this method, why not just spend a couple hours at work and the overtime pay would allow you to buy 1000 rounds of brass and just keep reloading and throw away the cases when they get a split neck. It would save enough time and the accumulation of brass without split necks would give you enough brass, you could let them fly out on the ground and not even pick them up.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt.../re-once-fired-fc-223-brass#Post15773699

Try to buy 1000 cases now under Biden & Harris....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

This right here..^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

want not, waste not, with the nation under lying cheating DemocRATS running the nut house in DC...

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

590 members (12344mag, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 16penny, 160user, 51 invisible), 2,303 guests, and 1,196 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,614
Posts18,454,947
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.