Page 5 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 11 12
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G

Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by gssixgun

Basic Terminal Ballistics knowledge would be good here

Sure would. So what is the magical 1500 ft-lbs benchmark based on?

Isn't it funny that you must add things I never said to try and make your point, I can now see how you have 31k posts, you have to post for others along with yourself
I get it, you have managed to bluff your way through all these years.. It is becoming quite obvious that you either don't understand simple ballistics or your ego is bruised and you can't back away from, this now..

Not even sure what you are asking, but the simple fact is the axiom works across the board, as a general recommendation for Elk hunting, I don't understand why it is so hard for you to figure it out it really isn't difficult

A simple ballistics calculation that takes everything into account if you know what you are doing, and it fits to almost all cartridges if you understand how to use it ..It really isn't Magic just simple math and common sense

Slaying Orcs
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
This thread is useless without ballistic tables.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Dammit Jud get the net.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Basic Terminal Ballistics knowledge would be good here

Sure would. So what is the magical 1500 ft-lbs benchmark based on?

Isn't it funny that you must add things I never said to try and make your point, I can now see how you have 31k posts, you have to post for others along with yourself
I get it, you have managed to bluff your way through all these years.. It is becoming quite obvious that you either don't understand simple ballistics or your ego is bruised and you can't back away from, this now..

Not even sure what you are asking, but the simple fact is the axiom works across the board, as a general recommendation for Elk hunting, I don't understand why it is so hard for you to figure it out it really isn't difficult

A simple ballistics calculation that takes everything into account if you know what you are doing, and it fits to almost all cartridges if you understand how to use it ..It really isn't Magic just simple math and common sense .

In other words, you have no idea what the magical 1500 ft-lb benchmark is based on. Thanks for clearing that up.

Do you always use enough gun, and stoke it with premium pills?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Finally, two guys that get it.

A premium pill, shot through a premium tube, will knock ‘em down good.

Originally Posted by T_Inman
Jesus, do I have to do everything around here, INCLUDE drink all the beer?

It isn't 1,500 foot pounds of "kinetic energy" that kills elk. It is the KNOCK DOWN POWER.

Knock down power has been thoroughly de-bunked. Unlike the magical 1500 zoot pounds delivered by a premium pill out of enough gun. Hits 'em like the Hammer of Thor. DRT!

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
sixgun is the smartest guy in his quartet.

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Über smart.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S

A simple ballistics calculation that takes everything into account if you know what you are doing, and it fits to almost all cartridges if you understand how to use it ..It really isn't Magic just simple math and common sense

A simple ballistics calculation and common sense. Let's talk about that, first the calculation. Without googling it, you do know that the simple calculation squares the velocity term, and halves the mass term, right? And you do know that means the formula emphasizes velocity over mass, many would say to the point that it gives an unrealistic apparent advantage to a light, fast projectile over a heavier slower projectile, right?

And since you brought up the state of Colorado and it's take on kinetic energy, you do know that Colorado allows elk hunters to hunt elk with a rifle and bullet that delivers less than 1500 ft- lbs at the muzzle, and less than 1,000 ft-lbs at 50 yards, right?

Last but not least, have you ever shot an elk with a bullet that delivers less than 1500 ft-lbs? Yes or no?

I have, and none of 'em got away.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by WAM
Originally Posted by TheKid
Multitudes of elk are killed every year with arrows, round balls, and various other projectiles that carry nowhere near 1500fpe. Bleeding holes through important body parts are what kills stuff, not some magic amount of foot pounds.

Multitudes of elk (and deer) have been left to die a slow death from inadequate weapons / bullets and pisspoor shot placement. If the shoe fits, wear it. GFY in advance!
Have you ever read Col. John Patterson's account of the man eaters of the Tsavo? His book relates a bunch of lion hunts he was on. His gun was a 303 British. Over and over he makes the statement "the lion was hit but wasn't taken". IOW, he wounded a bunch of lions because his gun wasn't up to the task. He might have created more man eaters than he stopped. When he killed the 2d man eater, he shot it 3 times with the 303 before switching to a 450 to finally kill it.
Use a caliber that's up to the job.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
J
Judman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Dammit Jud get the net.

😂😂😂

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Dammit Jud get the net.

And tighten the drag while you're at it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
... Without googling it, you do know that the simple calculation squares the velocity term, and halves the mass term, right?

Without weighing in on the merits of the always-explosively-violent kinetic energy debate, the formula therefore doesn't just halve the mass, but also halves the square of the velocity.

1/2 x M x V^2 = 1/2 x V^2 x M.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Killed my first 2 with a 378 Bee. Worked well!

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MarineHawk
... Without googling it, you do know that the simple calculation squares the velocity term, and halves the mass term, right?

Without weighing in on the merits of the always-explosively-violent kinetic energy debate, the formula therefore doesn't just halve the mass, but also halves the square of the velocity.

1/2MV^2 = 1/2M + 1/2V^2.

No, 1/2m + 1/2v^2 = 1/2(m + v^2).

The factor of 1/2 could well be applied to either variable, and is really not relevant here. Smokepole correctly pointed out that kinetic energy is proportional to the first-order of the mass, and the second-order of the velocity, meaning that velocity contributes much more prominently to kinetic energy than does the mass.

Bottom line is, kinetic energy is necessary for the bullet to do its work, but due to the myriad of variables involved in killing effectiveness and the use of kinetic energy to deform tissue, is a poor metric of ‘killing power’. A better indicator is to simply use a bullet that can penetrate to the vitals, and make sure it impacts with enough velocity to expand properly.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MarineHawk

1/2 x M x V^2 = 1/2 x V^2 x M.

Just saw your edit. That’s better. smile

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Originally Posted by WAM
Multitudes of elk are killed every year with arrows, round balls, and various other projectiles that carry nowhere near 1500fpe. Bleeding holes through important body parts are what kills stuff, not some magic amount of foot pounds.

Multitudes of elk (and deer) have been left to die a slow death from inadequate weapons / bullets and pisspoor shot placement. If the shoe fits, wear it. GFY in advance!
Have you ever read Col. John Patterson's account of the man eaters of the Tsavo? His book relates a bunch of lion hunts he was on. His gun was a 303 British. Over and over he makes the statement "the lion was hit but wasn't taken". IOW, he wounded a bunch of lions because his gun wasn't up to the task. He might have created more man eaters than he stopped. When he killed the 2d man eater, he shot it 3 times with the 303 before switching to a 450 to finally kill it.
Use a caliber that's up to the job.

I’m sure he made good shots on all of them shooting at night and he was using those early day jacketed bullets that have never been improved upon in the last century......

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
His gun was a 303 British. Over and over he makes the statement "the lion was hit but wasn't taken". IOW, he wounded a bunch of lions because his gun wasn't up to the task.

The .303 British is essentially a mild .308 Win. If lions are getting away from a single shot from a .303, it’s either because of bullet failure or poor bullet placement. Plenty of moose have been killed up here with the .303, and they are a lot bigger than a lion.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

I’ve posted this link before, for those that are completely enamored by foot/pounds of energy being the quintessential basis for measurement of effective killing power! Foot/pounds energy, as mentioned by many, is “only” one of many factors involved in lethality of a bullet!

For those that completely “buy-in” to the foot/pounds energy school of thought, please read this.....
if you dare! memtb

http://rathcoombe.net/sci-tech/ballistics/wounding.html

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
[quote=gssixgun]

Last but not least, have you ever shot an elk with a bullet that delivers less than 1500 ft-lbs? Yes or no?

I have, and none of 'em got away.

And there we have the basis of your "Facts" too funny

Slaying Orcs
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Originally Posted by memtb

I’ve posted this link before, for those that are completely enamored by foot/pounds of energy being the quintessential basis for measurement of effective killing power! Foot/pounds energy, as mentioned by many, is “only” one of many factors involved in lethality of a bullet!

For those that completely “buy-in” to the foot/pounds energy school of thought, please read this.....
if you dare! memtb

http://rathcoombe.net/sci-tech/ballistics/wounding.html

The fallacy of reading things one way,,,, look at your wording, NOBODY said that !!! you said it in your mind and blocked out simple facts in evidence from my OP

Reading Comprehension is helpful

Last edited by gssixgun; 02/24/21.

Slaying Orcs
Page 5 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

546 members (1OntarioJim, 204guy, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 007FJ, 1_deuce, 61 invisible), 2,387 guests, and 1,199 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,664
Posts18,455,763
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.