Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 12 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 11 12
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Yeah, but both those lions ended up in a museum in Chicago after being used as rugs by Col. Patterson. Hunting lions in the dark is rather sporting. Happy Trails

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
GB1

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by gssixgun

Basic Terminal Ballistics knowledge would be good here

Sure would. So what is the magical 1500 ft-lbs benchmark based on?

Isn't it funny that you must add things I never said to try and make your point, I can now see how you have 31k posts, you have to post for others along with yourself
I get it, you have managed to bluff your way through all these years.. It is becoming quite obvious that you either don't understand simple ballistics or your ego is bruised and you can't back away from, this now..

Not even sure what you are asking, but the simple fact is the axiom works across the board, as a general recommendation for Elk hunting, I don't understand why it is so hard for you to figure it out it really isn't difficult

A simple ballistics calculation that takes everything into account if you know what you are doing, and it fits to almost all cartridges if you understand how to use it ..It really isn't Magic just simple math and common sense .

Do you always use enough gun, and stoke it with premium pills?

Reading my OP would have answered that but you wee ego prevented you from actually comprehending it, amazing that you have managed to bluff your way through on this forum for so many years and so many posts...

I doubt anything you post at this point in time... Your lack of knowledge of basic ballistics and the fact that you must dodge around the facts are quite telling

Slaying Orcs
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by memtb

I’ve posted this link before, for those that are completely enamored by foot/pounds of energy being the quintessential basis for measurement of effective killing power! Foot/pounds energy, as mentioned by many, is “only” one of many factors involved in lethality of a bullet!

For those that completely “buy-in” to the foot/pounds energy school of thought, please read this.....
if you dare! memtb

http://rathcoombe.net/sci-tech/ballistics/wounding.html

The fallacy of reading things one way,,,, look at your wording, NOBODY said that !!! you said it in your mind and blocked out simple facts in evidence from my OP

Reading Comprehension is helpful

On the subject of reading things one way! You have yet to explain how and who (other than some bureaucrat in the Colorado G&F) has determined that 1500 ft/pounds of energy, is the determining prerequisite for the ethical killing of elk? Again, as many have mentioned and you seem to ignore, there are a multitude of factors other than foot/pounds energy!

I am in agreement with much of your OP, yet you seem to be hung-up on the mythical 1500 ft/pounds energy concept! It would be extremely enlightening to ascertain how this number was arrived at....and why did not the Colorado G&F combine the “mythical”/“magical” ft/lb number with other criteria. Many folks, hopefully you are “not” one of these people, simply look at the energy number .....yet fail to factor in other components to a lethality potential of a cartridge! memtb

Last edited by memtb; 02/24/21.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Bottom line is, kinetic energy is necessary for the bullet to do its work, but due to the myriad of variables involved in killing effectiveness and the use of kinetic energy to deform tissue, is a poor metric of ‘killing power’. A better indicator is to simply use a bullet that can penetrate to the vitals, and make sure it impacts with enough velocity to expand properly.

I agree. KE tells you somewhat how much the bullet can do, but the size, shape, and construction of the bullet and the type of material it impacts tells you how much of that energy may put to good use. It's also not the KE at the impact that matters as much as the KE at the impact minus the KE, if any, of the exiting projectile. Also, a fair amount, I don't know how much or how to calculate it, of the kinetic energy is converted into heat energy, rather than structural damage. Logically, I think, more of that would happen with high-velocity impacts. That's just one of the factors that limits the value of relying on KE alone for hunting effectiveness. However, there does seem to be a rough correlation between KE and damage. I don't think it's a coincidence that a bullet propelled by a 30-378 Wby blows stuff up a lot more violently than a similar-typed bullet out of a .223 Win., and the former produces about 4 times as much KE as the latter.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Basic Terminal Ballistics knowledge would be good here

Sure would. So what is the magical 1500 ft-lbs benchmark based on?

Not even sure what you are asking............

Sorry, I thought it was obvious, but apparently it escapes you so let me explain. What it's based on would be the information and methods used to arrive at the conclusion that 1500 ft-lbs is a good benchmark for the "minimum kinetic energy" for killing elk.

In other words, who came up with the 1500 ft-lb benchmark, and how did he get there? What information did he evaluate and how did he evaluate it in order to conclude that 1500 is the right number? Why not 1250 ft-lbs, or 2,000, I've seen 2,000 thrown around too?

So, what is the magical 1500 ft-lbs based on ?

And as far as your comment below, it's telling that you don't believe first-hand experience shooting elk with a bullet that delivers less than 1500 ft-lbs is a good basis to form an opinion. Obviously because you've never done it.

Last but not least, have you ever shot an elk with a bullet that delivers less than 1500 ft-lbs? Yes or no?

I have, and none of 'em got away.

And there we have the basis of your "Facts" too funny

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B2

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G

I’ve posted this link before, for those that are completely enamored by foot/pounds of energy being the quintessential basis for measurement of effective killing power! Foot/pounds energy, as mentioned by many, is “only” one of many factors involved in lethality of a bullet!

For those that completely “buy-in” to the foot/pounds energy school of thought, please read this.....
if you dare! memtb

http://rathcoombe.net/sci-tech/ballistics/wounding.html

The fallacy of reading things one way,,,, look at your wording, NOBODY said that !!! you said it in your mind and blocked out simple facts in evidence from my OP

Reading Comprehension is helpful

On the subject of reading things one way! You have yet to explain how and who (other than some bureaucrat in the Colorado G&F) has determined that 1500 ft/pounds of energy, is the determining prerequisite for the ethical killing of elk? Again, as many have mentioned and you seem to ignore, there are a multitude of factors other than foot/pounds energy!

I am in agreement with much of your OP, yet you seem to be hung-up on the mythical 1500 ft/pounds energy concept! It would be extremely enlightening to ascertain how this number was arrived at....and why did not the Colorado G&F combine the “mythical”/“magical” ft/lb number with other criteria. Many folks, hopefully you are “not” one of these people, simply look at the energy number .....yet fail to factor in other components to a lethality potential of a cartridge! memtb

Again you are projecting your limited knowledge on my OP, I never said any of that in fact just the opposite

But you can't see that because you simply not mentally equipped for those aspects, I didn't ignore anything you just failed to understand it

It is NOT some mythical number it is a general recommendation don't make it out to be what it isn't because you lack the ballistics knowledge to use it correctly

Now sit down listen and learn

ps; it is laughable to watch you get all twisted around an old axiom that actually works quite well if you understand it LOL
Let's try it by dumbing it down for you

If I use the proper bullet and hit the vitals of an Elk with 1500 ft/lbs of energy does that increase my chances of a clean kill ??? that is about as dumbed down as I can make it for you

Last edited by gssixgun; 02/24/21.

Slaying Orcs
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by huntsman22
sixgun is the smartest guy in his quartet.

He's as smart as "elkslayer" and Larry Root combined, but without the people skills.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G

Sorry, I thought it was obvious, but apparently it escapes you so let me explain. What it's based on would be the information and methods used to arrive at the conclusion that 1500 ft-lbs is a good benchmark for the "minimum kinetic energy" for killing elk.

In other words, who came up with the 1500 ft-lb benchmark, and how did he get there? What information did he evaluate and how did he evaluate it in order to conclude that 1500 is the right number? Why not 1250 ft-lbs, or 2,000, I've seen 2,000 thrown around too?

And as far as your comment below, it's telling that you don't believe first-hand experience shooting elk with a bullet that delivers less than 1500 ft-lbs is a good basis to form an opinion. Obviously because you've never done it.

Actually by now I doubt anything you proclaim
Not sure why you think the 1500 fp is a magical number you keep saying that, yet I never did, it is simply a Rule of Thumb an "Axiom" to put people in the correct arena of power for an Elk hunt

I have seen 2000 and 1000 at 100 yards etc etc these are all just recommendations, again What I said in the OP along with examples of what comes close

This seems to be offensive to you to have a good basis of where to start when looking for an Elk round, you don't seem to understand it eliminates very few rounds and gives a new hunter an idea of a starting point..You simply want to pigeonhole the 1500 fp and I think it is more ignorance and ego now that you have back yourself into a corner

Deal with it

Also this shows Ego nothing more it isn't something to brag about frown

"it's telling that you don't believe first-hand experience shooting elk with a bullet that delivers less than 1500 ft-lbs is a good basis to form an opinion. Obviously because you've never done it."

Slaying Orcs
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular

Without commenting on it's validity, the 1,500 ft-lbs minimum apparently was generated by Whelen, and 2,000 ft-lb minimum was adopted by Boddington (the author of the chapter excerpted below). I think Boddington later downplayed this.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Originally Posted by MarineHawk

Without commenting on it's validity, the 1,500 ft-lbs minimum apparently was generated by Whelan, and 2,000 ft-lb minimum was adopted by Boddington (the author of the chapter excerpted below). I think Boddington later downplayed this.

Why ??? Why did you do that ??? I was having fun watching him twist himself around on that
That was the low bar of knowledge he was using as a Litmus Test, it showed just how limited his knowledge base is, he thought that was important and that only an expert would know it LMAO

Now you spolied it ... wait for his predictable response

Slaying Orcs
IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Marinehawk: These have been hashed over ad nauseum here so I know who proferred the magical benchmarks, but that's not really the question. The question (that numbnuts can't answer) is what are they based on?

So go ahead numbnuts, see if you can answer the question.

PS, Marinehawk I actually bought that book and I've got to say, what a disappointment. It's anything but the ultimate guide to elk hunting, but it is chock full of recycled information and cliches. So, right up numbnuts' alley, LOL.

And you're right, Boddington backed off on his "rule of thumb." Way off. Truth be told, the basis of these numbers was gunwriter's need to generate copy and give people like numbnuts a number they can cogitate on, pontificate, toss out to the great unwashed, and impress everyone with their "knowledge."

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Marinehawk: These have been hashed over ad nauseum here so I know who proferred the magical benchmarks, but that's not really the question. The question (that numbnuts can't answer) is what are they based on?

LMAO now even more, when the ignorant latch onto something that they think makes them "LOOK" smart, and follow it up with the name calling to match...

SmokingPoles: you have been weighed measured and found wanting,,, 31119 posts, my god man how much serious BS and misinformation have you laid down in the last 15 years on this forum..

Slaying Orcs
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Less than you have on this thread alone.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
In other words, who came up with the 1500 ft-lb benchmark ...

Marinehawk: These have been hashed over ad nauseum here so I know who proferred the magical benchmarks, but that's not really the question. ...

PS, Marinehawk I actually bought that book and I've got to say, what a disappointment. ...

You did ask that question, and I dispassionately answered it. You never said you already knew who came up with the numbers. You asked "who came up with the 1500 ft-lb benchmark." I wasn't trying to answer all of your questions, just that one. Don't know why you're being so pissy with me.

I also never said anything about whether or not the book had any value. Boddington just wrote that one chapter.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
All I can add to this thread is that IME, the proportion of folks citing energy as some magic killing threshold is usually inversely related to actually killing, on average....

This thread needs some coyote hunter ballistic tables.....grin...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Less than you have on this thread alone.

Ooooo what a retort, it is so intelligent and well written, ran out of Smoke ??? because you were sure blowing some in this exchange

Two can play the insult game and it is obvious that you are outclassed in it as well the the knowledge base..

Sit down "Oracle" and be a good student now

Slaying Orcs
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Originally Posted by MarineHawk
In other words, who came up with the 1500 ft-lb benchmark ...

Marinehawk: These have been hashed over ad nauseum here so I know who proferred the magical benchmarks, but that's not really the question. ...

PS, Marinehawk I actually bought that book and I've got to say, what a disappointment. ...

You did ask that question, and I dispassionately answered it. You never said you already knew who came up with the numbers. You asked "who came up with the 1500 ft-lb benchmark." I wasn't trying to answer all of your questions, just that one. Don't know why you're being so pissy with me.

I also never said anything about whether or not the book had any value. Boddington just wrote that one chapter.

Damn Smokingpoles you are just looking worse for the wear here

Slaying Orcs
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Originally Posted by GregW
All I can add to this thread is that IME, the proportion of folks citing energy as some magic killing threshold is usually inversely related to actually killing, on average....

The only two people that said that are the guy smoking poles and another that thinks calling himself a kid is cool but hey that was the best they could do

Now I am going to go look for a coyote hunting thread smile

Slaying Orcs
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

So true.
The axiom is an invented comfort for those who need answers without experience. Pretty meaningless to the thousands that are successful every year and are below it.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Originally Posted by smallfry

So true.
The axiom is an invented comfort for those who need answers without experience. Pretty meaningless to the thousands that are successful every year and are below it.

Why is it a point of pride to be below that threshold, really why is that something to brag about ???

Slaying Orcs
Page 6 of 12 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

556 members (10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 163bc, 10Glocks, 160user, 56 invisible), 2,306 guests, and 1,302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,233
Posts18,466,695
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.