Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 12 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 11 12
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MarineHawk
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Bottom line is, kinetic energy is necessary for the bullet to do its work, but due to the myriad of variables involved in killing effectiveness and the use of kinetic energy to deform tissue, is a poor metric of ‘killing power’. A better indicator is to simply use a bullet that can penetrate to the vitals, and make sure it impacts with enough velocity to expand properly.

I agree. KE tells you somewhat how much the bullet can do, but the size, shape, and construction of the bullet and the type of material it impacts tells you how much of that energy may put to good use. It's also not the KE at the impact that matters as much as the KE at the impact minus the KE, if any, of the exiting projectile. Also, a fair amount, I don't know how much or how to calculate it, of the kinetic energy is converted into heat energy, rather than structural damage. Logically, I think, more of that would happen with high-velocity impacts. That's just one of the factors that limits the value of relying on KE alone for hunting effectiveness. However, there does seem to be a rough correlation between KE and damage. I don't think it's a coincidence that a bullet propelled by a 30-378 Wby blows stuff up a lot more violently than a similar-typed bullet out of a .223 Win., and the former produces about 4 times as much KE as the latter.

I agree. One of the many reasons that KE is a poor metric for "killing power" is that some of that energy is converted into heat energy, sound energy, etc, and the exact amounts are non-deterministic and nearly impossible to predict.

As you correctly point out, KE is a measure of the potential of the bullet to do damage, but the correlation between KE and killing effectiveness, while existent, is minimal.

BP-B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by gssixgun
Originally Posted by smallfry
Originally Posted by GregW
All I can add to this thread is that IME, the proportion of folks citing energy as some magic killing threshold is usually inversely related to actually killing, on average....

This thread needs some coyote hunter ballistic tables.....grin...

So true.
The axiom is an invented comfort for those who need answers without experience. Pretty meaningless to the thousands that are successful every year and are below it.

Why is it a point of pride to be below that threshold, really why is that something to brag about ???

The threshold is invented, and thousands of people are successful taking game every year decade after decade below it and not even aware of it.

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Why is it a point of pride to be below that threshold, really why is that something to brag about ???

Same folks who fish for large gamefish with 2-pound test leaders..... LOL!

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
All I can add to this thread is that IME, the proportion of folks citing energy as some magic killing threshold is usually inversely related to actually killing, on average....

So true.
The axiom is an invented comfort for those who need answers without experience. Pretty meaningless to the thousands that are successful every year and are below it.

For many people, it is not a point of pride. The point being made here is simply that impact energy that doesn't meet this arbitrary minimum has about as much to do with killing effectiveness as what you ate for breakfast this morning. There are other variables that have a much stronger correlation with killing effectiveness, like bullet expansion, bullet placement, penetration, etc.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

So true.

For many people, it is not a point of pride. The point being made here is simply that impact energy that doesn't meet this arbitrary minimum has about as much to do with killing effectiveness as what you ate for breakfast this morning. There are other variables that have a much stronger correlation with killing effectiveness, like bullet expansion, bullet placement, penetration, etc.

Or the hunters ability to get to the actual point of actually pulling a trigger and worrying about the impact "energy"....

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
IC B2

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G

The 1500 fp does not discount all those factors, in fact in enhances them so your argument is irrelevant, it was never about an absolute it was always just a recommendation along with all other factors...

Last edited by gssixgun; 02/24/21.

Slaying Orcs
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G

Or the hunters ability to get to the actual point of actually pulling a trigger and worrying about the impact "energy"....

If a hunter hasn't figured all that out before he is at that point, he has way more issues than Energy

Slaying Orcs
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

If a hunter hasn't figured all that out before he is at that point, he has way more issues than Energy

Whoosh, over the head...

- Greg

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

Put this another way. If I want a hunt to be successful, my load's impact energy calculations are about the 1,326th item I'm worrying about...

- Greg

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Been waiting for the 10,000 word response.

IC B3

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Guessing this will be lost as well.

Put this another way. If I want a hunt to be successful, my load's impact energy calculations are about the 1,326th item I'm worrying about...

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G

Then I suspect your shot would be about as on target as your statement .... Whoosh right over the head

But then again I might be reading you wrong

Slaying Orcs
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Start at 30-06 Springfield then go backward, then go forward. It’s all about the bullet.

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Because sometimes that’s what it takes to get a dead drift.

Jud has the dead drift down pretty good.

Originally Posted by WAM

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Rossimp
Start at 30-06 Springfield then go backward, then go forward. It’s all about the bullet.

See?! Somebody else gets it.

This thread is hysterical. I haven’t thought about energy as it translates into killing a critter in decades......

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by WAM

If you're talking about judman, he's using a plastic-coated steel leader on this trip.......

A wise man is frequently humbled.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by MarineHawk
Originally Posted by smokepole
In other words, who came up with the 1500 ft-lb benchmark ...

Marinehawk: These have been hashed over ad nauseum here so I know who proferred the magical benchmarks, but that's not really the question. ...
So go ahead numbnuts, see if you can answer the question.

PS, Marinehawk I actually bought that book and I've got to say, what a disappointment. ...

You did ask that question, and I dispassionately answered it. You never said you already knew who came up with the numbers. You asked "who came up with the 1500 ft-lb benchmark."

Bullshit, you edited the quite and left off the rest. And if you go back and read where I first asked the question, it was "what is it based on."

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Less than you have on this thread alone.

Ooooo what a retort, it is so intelligent and well written

Yes, it was but more importantly, it hit the mark.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

The 1500 fp does not discount all those factors, in fact in enhances them so your argument is irrelevant, it was never about an absolute it was always just a recommendation along with all other factors...

Ummm, no. It doesn't "enhance" the other relevant variables. As a physicist, I understand the role of energy in complex systems better than most.

Here's another recommendation for you that makes about as much sense as the 1500 ft-lbs minimum: when driving through the mountains, your vehicle should have a recommended minimum of 300 hp at the wheels.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
[

Bullshit, you edited the quite and left off the rest. And if you go back and read where I first asked the question, it was strictly "what is it based on."

Sorta like you did also ???

Slaying Orcs
Page 7 of 12 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
173 members (257 mag, 10Glocks, 300_savage, 2UP, 300jimmy, 01Foreman400, 14 invisible), 1,467 guests, and 830 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,592
Posts18,397,909
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.