Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Originally Posted by websterparish47
Can't be. Everyone knows those 130gr FMJs are useless. whistle

I reckon a few strokes of a file would make them even better.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Great read Greg, while looking at the replies the one that hit home for my timeline 1969 had to do with the .223 vs 7.62 .Our weapons shack not only re-barreled mini guns, gun pods etc but had piles of M16's with feed/jamb issues..The transition frrom M14 wasn't accepted well especially with frontline grunts...The ROK detachment we had for perimeter security all carried M14.s and rarely were checking them in for repairs..

What always amazed me the most with regards to handguns were the numbers of GI's actually toting captured Russian/Chicom 7.62 semi auto loading pistolas..Maybe they preferred them to issue 1911's then just never asked..

Our carry was the Smith model 12 which was better than nothing if we had to fight it out on the ground until the cavalry arrived main reason I chose my 45 .

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc].

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by FlyboyFlem
Great read Greg, while looking at the replies the one that hit home for my timeline 1969 had to do with the .223 vs 7.62 .Our weapons shack not only re-barreled mini guns, gun pods etc but had piles of M16's with feed/jamb issues..The transition frrom M14 wasn't accepted well especially with frontline grunts...The ROK detachment we had for perimeter security all carried M14.s and rarely were checking them in for repairs..

What always amazed me the most with regards to handguns were the numbers of GI's actually toting captured Russian/Chicom 7.62 semi auto loading pistolas..Maybe they preferred them to issue 1911's then just never asked..

Our carry was the Smith model 12 which was better than nothing if we had to fight it out on the ground until the cavalry arrived main reason I chose my 45 .

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc].

I was hoping you'd post up that gun, Woody. I know it's "been around".

Saw some pics eh76 sent of your Winter Wonderland. Lol. smile

Hope you and fam are doing ok.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Tour 1 for me and chopper jockeys were issued S&W .38s with a shoulder holster. One of my classmates got shot down and was ejected from the bird when the hit dirt. Woke up face down with NVA poking him in the ass with bayonets. His hand was by a quirk of fate holding the butt of the pistol. He said later that he preferred death to POW status, so he rolled over, drew his piece and killed his 3 tormentors.

He liked his .38 quite a bit.

Dan I had a friend ( also a Dan) that flew choppers in Viet Nam and hes a gun guy. He wanted to go one better that the Model 10 that was issued and brought his own Model 15...along with 1K rounds of HP. Needed it one day on a hot extraction, hovering the bird just above the stumps so wounded could be loaded on, he saw Charlier emerge from a shell crater with his AK about 25 yards away. Too far forward for the door gunner to swing on, and couldn't move the bird while Charlie drew a bead on him. Million dollar shot coming up! A quick one with the Model 15 landed on Charlies forehead and averted what would have been a VERY bad day.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
The pic of the Loach with a mini gun mounted was interesting. I've done some reading on the Loach pilots and from what I've heard, they truly were Cowboys.

Their job was to swoop around in those little helicopters and locate the enemy,...then bring in the bigger stuff. Initially, they weren't intended to carry arms. But that got over with pretty quick. A lot of them had Browning 30s mounted on them. But if you really wanted to be serious you'd stick a mini gun on it.

Seems to me that that main problem with a mini gun on a Loach would be where to put the ammunition. Those things like to eat. Also, it seems to me that you would have to learn to fly against the recoil in a little helicopter like that.

IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
great stuff

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Tour 1 for me and chopper jockeys were issued S&W .38s with a shoulder holster. One of my classmates got shot down and was ejected from the bird when the hit dirt. Woke up face down with NVA poking him in the ass with bayonets. His hand was by a quirk of fate holding the butt of the pistol. He said later that he preferred death to POW status, so he rolled over, drew his piece and killed his 3 tormentors.

He liked his .38 quite a bit.

I remember you telling that story years ago.

[Linked Image from images7.memedroid.com]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[quote]
Originally Posted by ingwe
"Dan I had a friend ( also a Dan) that flew choppers in Viet Nam and hes a gun guy. He wanted to go one better that the Model 10 that was issued and brought his own Model 15...along with 1K rounds of HP. Needed it one day on a hot extraction, hovering the bird just above the stumps so wounded could be loaded on, he saw Charlier emerge from a shell crater with his AK about 25 yards away. Too far forward for the door gunner to swing on, and couldn't move the bird while Charlie drew a bead on him. Million dollar shot coming up! A quick one with the Model 15 landed on Charlies forehead and averted what would have been a VERY bad day. /quote]

I'll bet that VC was thinking, "Hey, my comrades brag about killing a soldier but now I'll be able to brag about killing an entire American helicopter full of running dog capitalist pigs! ha ha ....." BANG!

Lights out. grin

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Poobs, your buddy merely demonstrated the point that rotor heads were prone to multitasking. 😁

Minigun recoil on LOH wasn’t difficult to control, and after a few introductory brrrrrts it was not an issue. What most fail to recognize is that a door gunner with a M60 was far more deadly as well as protective. Scouts that had been around awhile mostly preferred gunners over miniguns.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Poobs, your buddy merely demonstrated the point that rotor heads were prone to multitasking. 😁

Minigun recoil on LOH wasn’t difficult to control, and after a few introductory brrrrrts it was not an issue. What most fail to recognize is that a door gunner with a M60 was far more deadly as well as protective. Scouts that had been around awhile mostly preferred gunners over miniguns.

Makes sense.

I've seen mini guns being fired on a couple of occasions at the Knob Creek machine gun shoot. They don't sound like a firearm. They sound like a big block V10 with open headers running at about 5000 rpms.

They have a big night shoot at Knob Creek which is pretty much the grand finale' of the machine gun shoot. They start it off with about a 20 second burst from a mini gun with tracers every 6 rounds or so. It looks like a big hose spewing fire.

It's something to experience.

Some other guys had a twin MG42 anti aircraft set up. A pair of MG42s can put some lead downrange too.

IC B3

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Interesting thread.

Why was the door gunner more effective?

Retired cat herder.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by local_dirt

We are all fine just sick of winter and this latest record setting Arctic blast..My 4 ft pile of snow by my driveway was diminished somewhat yesterday via mid 40 temps..

We need a gradual thaw to prevent a repeat of the flood disaster we had a couple years ago..

Woody
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by FlyboyFlem
Originally Posted by local_dirt

We are all fine just sick of winter and this latest record setting Arctic blast..My 4 ft pile of snow by my driveway was diminished somewhat yesterday via mid 40 temps..

We need a gradual thaw to prevent a repeat of the flood disaster we had a couple years ago..

Geez o Pete. Hope you don't get a repeat, Wood.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
W
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
-------- I saw a few grunts on and off in CRB that had .38's ---- I was interested in getting one but never got a straight answer from them where I could get one---- Still a little green incountry. [Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
So I found one of these. Had 300 rounds but also got plenty of ammo from my Montagnard buddies

[Linked Image]
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

My understanding is that very few loaches had mini-guns, and those that did were pirated by hot shot pilots.

But you wouldn't know anything about that type, would you? grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Lot of 'em where hotshots. For a short while. I suspect the survivors learned a couple of things and maybe got a little more thoughtful about how they behaved when wearing a mini on their hip. grin

Note the pistol on my waist...
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

And here's an answer to Bristoe's puzzle about where we kept the food trough for the mini-pigs. 2K rounds, good for 10 3 second bursts at 4,000 RPM.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Lot of 'em where hotshots. For a short while. I suspect the survivors learned a couple of things and maybe got a little more thoughtful about how they behaved when wearing a mini on their hip. grin

And here's an answer to Bristoe's puzzle about where we kept the food trough for the mini-pigs. 2K rounds, good for 10 3 second bursts at 4,000 RPM.

Cool pictures, do you have a picture of the mini rigged with ammo? Interesting that it could process that many rounds that fast and not have a stoppage.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Steve Gardipee was a Loach pilot. Silver Star and three Distinguished Flying Crosses. (scroll to the side to read accounts for each decoration)

https://valor.militarytimes.com/hero/84632

He also had a rather interesting experience during the action which resulted in earning his third Distinguished Flying Cross.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
They don't get any more rigged than the one in the picture.

We had an option of 2K or 4K RPM with the trigger. They had a propensity to jam more often in the 2K mode so it was seldom used.

FWIW, we tended to put minis on the birds that were getting tired and fly with pilot and observer only whereas the more spirited birds got pilot/gunner/observer. The latter is what I flew for most of my first tour. Towards the end we were short crew and started flying with the mini and a gunner in the back. Lateral fire suppression was the key to escape and evasion more often than not. Also contrary to popular perception, our M60 gunners did not generally just spray and pray. They were inclined to shoot at specific enemy targets and fire 3-6 round bursts. Their box of ammo (~1,500 rds) lasted a whole lot longer than the minigun supply. Another thing the minis interfered with was our penchant for dropping satchel charges on bunkers. We could carry a lot more if we didn't have a mini on board. Little birds made big booms sometimes.

I am..........disturbed.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Never had anything compact as that XM27.. The first part of my tour was nurse mating the 3 early static mounted SUU-11 gun pods [ pic below] from shaking themselv'es apart or preventing the loading area to be shelled by hot 7.62 spent empties.. We rotated tail numbers between Pleiku and were lucky enough to fly several retrofitted with MXU-470 modules a welcome breath of fresh air from the ratting gun pods...VNAF inherited all AC47 aircraft after I left in 1970..

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Woody
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

491 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 10ring1, 36 invisible), 2,519 guests, and 1,032 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,285
Posts18,467,851
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.