Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
roanmtn Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Hi Everyone

Here in North East Tennessee I heard a lot of complaining about the cost of the short, fat cartridges. Later I would ask about the new rifles and it seems that most of them were traded for older calibers and CHEAPER AMMO. There were lots of complaints about recoil being heavy.

Guys let me know about your ideas on the short, fat rounds.

roanmtn

Last edited by roanmtn; 02/22/21.

Glenn Campbell
BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not a gun writer but I really enjoy my older Winchester Classic 70 FWT in 270 WSM but do not enjoy finding brass. I only see factory ammo for sale on rare occasion but haven’t ever bought any.

As far as effectiveness it’s nice to boost a 150gr bullet at the same velocity as a 270 Win does a 130gr. But really the game probably can’t tell the difference - it’s just something fun to play with.

I don’t have any other ‘short fat’ cartridges mostly the old standards.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by roanmtn

A lot of folks got caught up on the short mag wave 10 -15 yrs ago realized that their old 270 or 30-06 will really do just as well for the type of hunting they do so a lot of those WSMs went down the road. In fact many of the current new offerings are on the opposite end of magnums being smaller and a bit slower but more fun to shoot and efficient. The 6.5CM is a perfect example of this.

I think as hunters age, they start to drift away from big magnums with the cost and recoil. 10 yrs ago I took a 375magnum on a guided moose hunt. Last year it was a 275Rigby. That little 7mm worked fine.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I have a 270 and a 300 WSM. I don’t think either one have much recoil. I have a couple hundred cases for each one. I haven’t purchased a factory round in 45 years.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good rounds, but not magical. Of course they kick more.

Who buys a rifle without checking out the cost and availability of ammunition for it?

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just a random sample, but in the last couple of months some of the only factory hunting ammo I have seen on shelves in eastern NC has been 300, 7mm and 270 WSM and the 243 WSSM. I guess it is because not a lot of those rifles sold here and the gun dealers have been sitting on low demand ammo. If I owned a rifle chambered in one of those cartridges, I would lay in a good supply of ammo, brass and buy a set of dies. In the future they will be harder to find. Look at older, short-term darlings like the 225 WIN, 284 WIN, etc. - not on the shelves or in mail order catalogs now. As to SuperCub's point, I have also divested myself of the 300 WIN MAG, 338 WIN MAG, and 458 WIN MAG rifles I once owned. I hunt with mid-range cartridges now (270 WIN, 308 WIN, 30-06 SPRG) but recently acquired a 243 WIN, my first one in 18 years, because the recoil is more cervical vertebrae friendly and nowadays that is a real consideration.

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Well, my short magnum is the 350 RemMag. The ammo situation for that went to hell years ago, and ranges between nonexistent to ridiculously expensive, but I'm keeping it for awhile longer. I don't use it very often, have enough ammo on hand for my needs, and I just like it.

W
WAM Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
I won a Tikka .270 WSM at an RMEF banquet several years ago and sold it to a Montana mule deer hunter who was excited to have it for $700. I never fired it even though ammo was available then. I just didn’t want to add .277 bullets to reloading inventory.

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
Y
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Y
My 7mm WSM is a 1/2 - 3/4 inch rifle with 150 TTSX and IMR-4350. I'm a Lefty and always drooled over the Featherweight Classics, but never could find one in a LH action. When this one popped up on Gunbroker I snagged it. It was new and it's never had a factory round thru it. I bought 150 cases and load for it. I've never seen a box of ammo in a store. I do prefer how long actions feed and extract though over the WSM action.

Liars should have good memories.
H. Babcock
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not a gun writer...I've had a 270 WSM for around 13 years . I bought about 100 pieces of brass 10 years ago and haven't even touched them yet. I've been loading the same 3 boxes of factory rounds that I bought when I got the rifle. They've all been loaded plenty of times during load development and the brass seems to last quite awhile. I shoot 2 or three rounds to check zero and maybe one or two rounds at deer. It's not a target rifle getting shot constantly.

Consistently accurate though.

Dan

IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I have a 270WSM and 300 WSM.They fall in-between a 300WM and a 270 Weatherby.Both shoot great and not much kick.I have plenty brass and it lasts a long time.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by SuperCub

A lot of folks got caught up on the short mag wave 10 -15 yrs ago realized that their old 270 or 30-06 will really do just as well for the type of hunting they do so a lot of those WSMs went down the road. In fact many of the current new offerings are on the opposite end of magnums being smaller and a bit slower but more fun to shoot and efficient. The 6.5CM is a perfect example of this.

I think as hunters age, they start to drift away from big magnums with the cost and recoil. 10 yrs ago I took a 375magnum on a guided moose hunt. Last year it was a 275Rigby. That little 7mm worked fine.

Truth

Carry what you’re willing to fight with - Mackay Sagebrush

Perfect is the enemy of good enough
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by SuperCub

Truth

Carry what you’re willing to fight with - Mackay Sagebrush

Perfect is the enemy of good enough
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Im a fan of 308 win and 30-30. If i lived in NE Tennessee i would probably just use a 30-30 and be happy. Before Covid ammo for it was very cheap.

But i dont live in the same location as the OP and live on the Idaho/Montana border. Despite my 30-30 and 308win appreciation i got into my Ruger compact 338RCM rifle a few years back and its my favorite hunting rifle. Part od my affection for the 338RCM has to do with the cartridge and the other half is the rifle it comes in. The rifle has a short action and 20" barrel with iron sights. Its compact enough and light enough but not abusive in recoil. It knocks elk hard but then again i had no issue before with the 308win and took some bigg critters with the measley 30 cal back in the day. Still i like the upgrade in performance with my short and fatter 338.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
A guy can find 300 SAUM pretty regular or brass by Nosler and Hornady but finding 7 MM SAUM is a sob. It shoots great and not to bad of recoil in the M7 ss platform with a R3 recoil pad. A compact nice handling outfit that packs a punch. Factory ammo is $50 for Remington and $70 for Nosler. It dosen't do anything better than any of my 270's for the extra cost of the ammo. You can only blow smoke up the public's ass on these gimmick cartridges so long and word gets around that they aren't a whole lot better than normal stuff and the demand dies. Way I see it. Mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Having been bit by the magnumitis bug in the early 2000's, I have many of the belted and short magnums. They all shoot accurately and work as intended, but I have found that the older, more common calibers do the same with less powder, cost, and recoil. As for cost, reloading is the answer, especially if you're a loony. Im also not a writer, as one can tell.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have most calibers that go bang. I am to the point now that the only gun I carry for hunting is my 270 WSM. I handload and am stocked until I die and probably my kids are gone.

Writing from the gateway to the great BluMtns in southeastern Washington.

Just remember, "You are the trailer park and I am the tornado". Beth Dutton, Yellowstone.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I’ll throw in another factor: people don’t always tell the truth. They may SAY that they are selling a rifle because the ammo is expensive, because that’s a “good” reason. They may even convince themselves that is the reason, when the real reason is that they don’t like the muzzle blast, the recoil, and they don’t shoot it well.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
I have a 270 WSM that has been my go to rifle for about 15 years or so. It doesn’t do much that a regular 270 won’t but I like the short action, it is accurate and I have faith that when I decide to pull the trigger whatever is in the crosshairs will die quickly and efficiently. I have enough factory ammo and reloading components to get me through a couple lifetimes of hunting. I’ve started selling off my other guns because the wizzum relegates them all to the safe anyway.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I like the 7mm SAUM 'cause it is the short action equivalent of the 280AI and likewise I like the 25 WSSM because it is the super short action equivalent of the 257AI.

There isn't much factory ammo on dealers' shelves around Omaha, but I did see a pallet jack full of Winchester/Olin ammo at a local Wal-Mart this morning. No limit of the number of boxes of ammo and the prices are the same as they were five or six months ago.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
720 members (10gaugemag, 222ND, 222Sako, 16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 78 invisible), 2,722 guests, and 1,373 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,626
Posts18,398,690
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.