Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
My new to me sweet standard '49 in 300 H&H showed up with its stock snapped in half.... I've not had a chance to inspect it all but the metal appeared to be in very good shape at least before the mishap. If I opt to keep it and replace the stock, suggestions? Was all original, no extra holes, original buttplate, "300 Magnum", low comb.

GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
If it has a cloverleaf tang that will be very hard to replace. Also I do believe only another 300 HH stock will work. Magazine/action is longer. Sry about your loss

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Also it should NOT have a recoil pad

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Thank you fellas. ‘49 indeed was non-cloverleaf and had original buttplate (steel)

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Blackbrush
Thank you fellas. ‘49 indeed was non-cloverleaf and had original buttplate (steel)

I wouldnt make that assumption. Ive seen some '49's with the clover leaf tang.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by BLR358WIN
If it has a cloverleaf tang that will be very hard to replace. Also I do believe only another 300 HH stock will work. Magazine/action is longer. Sry about your loss

Action is the same length as any other pre 64, only the mag box is longer. Easy to modify that on the stock he finds, if he cant locate an H&H stock.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Some 'prevailing facts' & thoughts re the "transition era "300 Magnum" as the factory 300 H&H chambered barrels were yet so marked.

First, the prevailing collector fact set suggests that your Model 70 in 300 Mag, of 1949 vintage should not be drilled & tapped. My nearest, of 1948, SN 110K range also is, but should not be even moreso! And with recoil pad. Being in decent used condition, a three time loser for collectability. The thought prevailing, factually a smaller bridge area of the magnum models, That as top mount manufacturers of the day not settled on a standard pattern. Such and demand being filled by both Stith and B&L. Both utilizing the aft receiver sight mounting screws which were ever standard on the Model 70 from beginning. Prevailing collector thinking, figuring about SN 169K, as I recall, before Winchester settled upon and routinely tapped the 'big mags'. The additional problem nowadays for your rifle and mine, given non-factory mounts standard, just what mounts they may have been drilled to accommodate! Hopefully done into the fifties as mounts standardized!

Realistically, some seventy years after production and the convenience of scopes pretty much SOP for decades now, few "original", untapped Model 70 rifles yet exist. Add too the matter of original finish in collector-acceptable grade condition.

My point, even if our rifle were "within factory correct specs, unless all metal pristine including original blue; paying an often-considerable premium for an original stock, Discrepant results! Best to carefully calculate the investment/return situation of investing in a decent, unaltered stock. Conversely buying a decent "also ran stock" in terms of with recoil pad, making sense. Where the metal isn't in collectible category, the H&H factory ammo with noticeable wallop. A pad makes sense. Just on average, expect to replace the more often than not aged & hardened pad. The caveat, once pad installed, don't depend on length not also 'trimmed'. You need to have the precise length of pull from which to decide whether such a stock will work for you!

Your rifle presumably retains considerable valuable for great pre '64 heralded "field use". Add the stock 26" barrel and svelte era integral forged ramp front sight... With customization as subset of that really nice mode! The "also ran" factory stock perhaps refinished, or opportune time for custom replacement! Many possibilities! If you're bound for 'collectability or bust', patch it up, sell it & start over!

A short moment for Attribution. Louis Luttrell, preeminent pre '64 Winchester Model 70 expert; such for his contribution concerning pre '64 model 70 "postwar transition era" scope mount situation. I'm merely pinging off 'the master'!
"Non-collector aspect, as my take.

A few shots of my 1948, SN 110k. Yet if with new pad, a fine "field use" candidate!
Best & Stay Safe
John

Attached Images
R417-2U.jpg (23.91 KB, 180 downloads)
R417-3U.jpg (25.28 KB, 183 downloads)
R417-8.jpg (14.38 KB, 180 downloads)
Last edited by iskra; 02/24/21.
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
EBay has them sometimes

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I will be selling a post war in a couple weeks. It belongs to a friend and since he doesn't own a computer, I will put it up for him. He says it is a standard rifle stock that is unmodified, but I'll make sure when I get it in my hands. I will post here when I have it in my hands.
Phil

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Thanks all. Standing by TenX.....

IC B3

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Blackbrush
My new to me sweet standard '49 in 300 H&H showed up with its stock snapped in half.... I've not had a chance to inspect it all but the metal appeared to be in very good shape at least before the mishap. If I opt to keep it and replace the stock, suggestions? Was all original, no extra holes, original buttplate, "300 Magnum", low comb.

That sucks about your rifle. The seller did not ship it in a hard case? I'm hoping he refunded you for the cost of a new stock... You should also post pics of the tang of your rifle.. Like I posted the other day, I've had 2 '49's and they both had clover leaf tangs... Yours may not be, but it might still be a good idea to post a few pics. I know if it isn't, you'll have a much easier time locating a good stock and it won't cost you as much either...

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
The rifle is sitting with the transfer dealer while we figure out a resolution. I saw it in person for the first time today. The wrist is snapped clean through. Non-cloverleaf as I indicated before...No hard case was used.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
That sucks man. Always a good idea to use a hard case when shipping. Those mother fuggers at the UPS are hard on chidt..

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Back when I was an active shooting coach, I was at a seminar at the US Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs, and they demostrated that a hard case wasn't adequate. This was years ago, before the Pelican and other high tech polymer cases came about. Your standard Gun Guard hard plastic case could be run over by a truck, destroying the gun inside and then bouncing back to shape as if nothing had ever happened to it. We were advised to always open the case in the shipper's (airline, etc.) presence They recommended aluminum cases in those days because if you ran over the aluminum case it stayed all crushed. It seems like you can't protect stocks enough these days!

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor Member
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P

What was the gun shipped in?
Who was the carrier?
Shipped by a rookie?

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
It was shipped in a cardboard box with minimal packing by someone that surely didn't much care via UPS.

Attached Images
3109x22.jpg (25.24 KB, 72 downloads)
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I figured UPS. Properly packaged in a hard case and it would be safe if you threw it off a building. Getting ran over by a truck and that is a different story. It would be pretty damn obvious if that happened.

BSA MAGA

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

559 members (1minute, 270wsmnutt, 2ndwind, 260Remguy, 160user, 10gaugemag, 57 invisible), 2,158 guests, and 1,266 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,293
Posts18,448,951
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.