Print Thread
Hop To
S
sbrmike Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Well I have seen a lot of butchered pre 64 Win 70's through the years but saw a new today. A 1955 Standard in 30-06 that was clear coated. I mean they just sprayed clear coat all over the entire gun, wood, metal everything! I guess he was weatherizing it. I guess you'd have to soak it in mineral spirits if not acetone to get the darn thing apart. Bargain priced at $800 complete with the obligatory non factory recoil pad and no rear sight. It did have an original front sight and hood. Original hoods have been bringing ridiculous money on eBay lately, one for $91.00 last week and one today @ $88.00 with 10 hours to go.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor Member
BP-B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I took the hood off mine and now I’ll have to find it. I’ll never put it back on since all it does is collect snow and ice and snag on willows. 😁

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P

I know they sometimes get in the way, but to my eye a pre64 just doesn’t look right without a front sight hood.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
S
sbrmike Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
What I don't understand is why there is not a "good" reproduction hood? If they would scallop both ends instead of just one and polish them just a little before blueing they would sell like hot cakes!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I bought a reproduction hood once from Galazan - CT Shotgun. Don't know if they still offer them but the finish was flat - the fit was good.

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Poconojack

I know they sometimes get in the way, but to my eye a pre64 just doesn’t look right without a front sight hood.

I agree.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I agree to agree on a good repro. hood!

If your a leftist, whatever Donald Trump says or does, that pisses you off rest assured, I am a Happy Camper!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by knivesforme
I agree to agree on a good repro. hood!

It has to do with patents I'm sure. One thing about the repro's is they can be changed to look exactly like an original. Not that I'm saying to do it, just that its entirely possible. Its also, not that someone doesn't know how to make one exactly like an original, they may not be legally able to do it? Just a hunch..

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I pull hoods off every rifle I've owned. I have a half cup full of sight hoods and couldn't tell you what rifles they came off of.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Re "repros", almost surely 'insufficient demand'. These for collectors and even that picky community, of which I'm with one foot in door, generally accepted "without hood", nothing horrible unless super specimen requiring. I'd expect a really good quality hood in perhaps several hundred, considering too, getting the word out = marketing, would likely run over a hundred to fabricate & sell!

Back to the O/P, that's a new one on me. If it's on stock wood, some special sort of problem. $800 seems high to me considering. Time, hazardous chemicals... Not for my money! Also as just mentioning in another thread concerning aftermarket pads.... For field use, often bringing the 'pre' Model 70 down from collector range to excellent field gun price! The caveat IF to retain such stock, caution to ascertain the length of pull, lest you get one for a child! It happens! Moreover nowadays, manipulating photos can produce a variety of illusions!

Best & Stay Safe!
John

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by iskra
Re "repros", almost surely 'insufficient demand'. These for collectors and even that picky community, of which I'm with one foot in door, generally accepted "without hood", nothing horrible unless super specimen requiring. I'd expect a really good quality hood in perhaps several hundred, considering too, getting the word out = marketing, would likely run over a hundred to fabricate & sell!

Back to the O/P, that's a new one on me. If it's on stock wood, some special sort of problem. $800 seems high to me considering. Time, hazardous chemicals... Not for my money! Also as just mentioning in another thread concerning aftermarket pads.... For field use, often bringing the 'pre' Model 70 down from collector range to excellent field gun price! The caveat IF to retain such stock, caution to ascertain the length of pull, lest you get one for a child! It happens! Moreover nowadays, manipulating photos can produce a variety of illusions!

Best & Stay Safe!
John

I agree. $800.00 is way too high. I'm thinking/hoping the OP was being sarcastic in his statement.. Being that is sounds like a big POS to me. A proper/more realistic price would be more like $350.00 in stated condition..

BSA MAGA
S
sbrmike Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Yes I said the bargain price in jest. It is a shame too as the blueing looks original and very high percentage and the wood isn't all beat up either. Around here it would be a $600 gun. But you still have to ask, what were they thinking!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by sbrmike
Yes I said the bargain price in jest. It is a shame too as the blueing looks original and very high percentage and the wood isn't all beat up either. Around here it would be a $600 gun. But you still have to ask, what were they thinking!

Yeah, as you shake your head, turn and walk away with a disgusted look on your face..
grin BTDT. I just posted this in a different thread, but since you mentioned "$600 gun". This is what I get for $600 around here...
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
^^Transition 375H&H rechambered to WBY^^

^^300h&h also rechambered to wby (300wby)^^ I used it for elk hunting last season. Sadly didn't shoot an elk and I really wanted to test out those new 175 LRX!!!!:
Paid $499 for it in Reno

Mind you, I won't post them all, but you get the point.

BSA MAGA
S
sbrmike Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
You would be going home empty handed in PA. Those Wby's would be at the very least $1,100.00. A pre 64 would have to be in "Relic" condition to go for less than $550.00 around here, and I mean look like it was dug out of a swamp! Lots of gun collectors in PA.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
107 members (16penny, 257_X_50, 338Rules, 444Matt, 32_20fan, 14 invisible), 1,755 guests, and 795 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,701
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.