24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'd think all of them could probably stand having some work on the trigger. Mine sure needed it. I pressure bedded the forend toward the tip and shimmed the bolt. With CCI std velocity I'm pretty confident it'll hit a squirrels head out to about 80 yds. using a 2-7 scope on a calm day.

I like mine, got it about 30 years ago. It came with factory sights. Overall IMO the quality's there but as I recall the price got up over five or six hundred before they quit making them. I'd get a CZ before paying 75% more than that for one.

BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm a fan

22 LR First Year
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

17 HMR

22 Mag

22 Hornet

And yes, they do get shot once in a while :-)

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
All well and good if many have had excellent results with their 77/22s. As I said, they are beautiful rifles

Doesn't negate the fact that not all 77/22s met with that level of acceptance. I know what I know, as others know what they've experienced. Be well.

Long before the 77/22 came out, I'd bought a new Win. M320, for the same reason people were attracted to the Ruger. Walnut stock, some heft to it and a proper looking rifle. It stood out from the crowd of cheap stocked and clunky 22s on the market in the early 70s. Still have it, still shoot it. $60 out the door when new.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
GTC22, good looking bunch of 77's. Green with envy of the different chamberings.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bought and sold at least a dozen 77/22 rifles. Pretty much the same scenario why they were for sale, the owners said they were not accurate. I guess they thought they were buying a bench rest competition rifle. I would check them all over and shoot them at the range. The triggers on three of them were replaced with a Timney, one had a bolt shimmed, the others left as is. I determined operator error and not trying different ammo was probably the biggest cause of the issues.

I told the buyers if they were not satisfied with the accuracy, bring it back for a range test with them present. If the results are not to their standards, I would buy back. Two guys took me up on the offer. They shot a group, I shot a group and my Niece shot a group. In each case my Niece out shot us. The guys left with the guns.

Several years ago, I bought this 77/22 at the LGS and remains the most accurate of the ones owned. Did not do any modifications to it, just determined what ammo it preferred. Not gilt edge competition target shooter, but accurate for plinking and taking care of varmints and small game.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
LR in Stainless. Mag in Blue. Both sub MOA at 50 with their favorite ammo. Topped with Redfield Revolution 3-9x40 AccuRange scopes, they are my favorite rimfires.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 43Shooter
I'd think all of them could probably stand having some work on the trigger. Mine sure needed it. I pressure bedded the forend toward the tip and shimmed the bolt. With CCI std velocity I'm pretty confident it'll hit a squirrels head out to about 80 yds. using a 2-7 scope on a calm day.

I like mine, got it about 30 years ago. It came with factory sights. Overall IMO the quality's there but as I recall the price got up over five or six hundred before they quit making them. I'd get a CZ before paying 75% more than that for one.

DIY trigger work is pretty easy if you’re patient and careful. I found a good drawing on the web that showed what to do. The Timney I installed was easy, but it took a while to get the safety pad worked down to the right spot, mostly because I was being really careful.

What fresh Hell is this?
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by dubePA
All well and good if many have had excellent results with their 77/22s. As I said, they are beautiful rifles

Doesn't negate the fact that not all 77/22s met with that level of acceptance. I know what I know, as others know what they've experienced. Be well.

Long before the 77/22 came out, I'd bought a new Win. M320, for the same reason people were attracted to the Ruger. Walnut stock, some heft to it and a proper looking rifle. It stood out from the crowd of cheap stocked and clunky 22s on the market in the early 70s. Still have it, still shoot it. $60 out the door when new.

I ran across a win 310 in a shop about 5 years ago, didn't get it that day but went back a few days later and it was gone....but....a gorgeous 320 was in its place. SOLD! Without a doubt my favorite blued walnut 22 I own and I get a lot of compliments on it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sold mine, don't miss it at all. Replaced it with a Savage/Anschutz M164. The only thing the Ruger had over the 164 is the rotary magazine.

Last edited by centershot; 02/25/21.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Bought a stainless 77/22 paddle stock new when I turned 18, and I think the rifle and scope I had on there cost me $388 out the door in 1994. That thing could shoot the tacks off paper targets with boring repeatability. Which I guess was one reason my interest wasn't there? It was too easy to shoot well? More of an iron sight and blued rifle guy, and after not shooting it much over the next dozen years I decided to move it along.

Now, some 15 years later, I regret selling. One of the few I wish I had back.

Yep.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
but....a gorgeous 320 was in its place. SOLD! Without a doubt my favorite blued walnut 22 I own and I get a lot of compliments on it.

Congrats on the catch.

Very nice rifle for its day. If you wanted something with walnut and some quality back then before the M320, you were buying a Rem. 541, which I never really liked.Or something that was really expensive, like an Anschutz sporter? Around the early 80s, Win. M320s had really appreciated in price A $60 rifle was fetching over $300 by then. Partly because of the Kimber of Oregon connection.

Was at the range with several other rifles one day in the early 80s and the M320 was laying in an open hard case on the next bench. Shooter comes over, looks at it. Flaps his gums about what a nice looking 22 that is and asks it it's for sale? Sure, make an offer. He offered a hundred dollars. Told him to triple it and we'd start a proper dicker. He laughed, said he guessed I wasn't giving it away.

Got lucky years ago and picked up an extra NIB Win. mag for it at a gun show. Same mag as the original Kimbers, but they're pretty scarce these days. Best part, mine still shoots close to half inch groups at 50 with Mini Mags. Just like it did over 30 years ago. Since I got the RAR, that's pretty much taken it's place. Don't wanta scuff up the Winchester.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The M77/22 is as much of a classic to me as the Marlin 39A is. However if the Marlin 39A won’t shoot sub MOA you won’t hear anyone poo pooing them for selling at 600.00 plus for average care rifles. However for the same price if the M77/22 won’t shoot sub MOA and you payed more than 400.00 then you’re an idiot. Shoot one for a while and decide yourself.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I love mine!

Dont eat the big white mint!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I’ve got a spare stock just waiting for me to find a magnum action for. Just need the luck of the Irish on my side one of these days.

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Regards, JimHnSTL.

Suspect you already know: A V-block 77/22 with the proper bottom metal can be configured for any rimfire cartridge (excepting the WSM). Numrich has the trigger guard for the .22WMR, also works for the .17HMR:

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/516220

A minor fitting to either the bolt or the ejector that's integral to the trigger guard may be required.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yest I am aware. The bolt on the long rifle will need to be modified slightly to work with the magnum trigger gard. I have the other bottom metal already.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SAKO270WSM
I love mine!

What part of the state are you from?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by SAKO270WSM
I love mine!

What part of the state are you from?

Central but now reside in lafayette

Dont eat the big white mint!
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I have a first year 22lr with a Redfield 2 3/4 with a dot. I’ll never part with it as a great friend gave it to me. I like it and almost everything about it. The only issue is that it only shoots one kind of ammo really well and they’re not easiest to find, luckily I have a couple bricks.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by dubePA
but....a gorgeous 320 was in its place. SOLD! Without a doubt my favorite blued walnut 22 I own and I get a lot of compliments on it.

Congrats on the catch.

Very nice rifle for its day. If you wanted something with walnut and some quality back then before the M320, you were buying a Rem. 541, which I never really liked.Or something that was really expensive, like an Anschutz sporter? Around the early 80s, Win. M320s had really appreciated in price A $60 rifle was fetching over $300 by then. Partly because of the Kimber of Oregon connection.

Was at the range with several other rifles one day in the early 80s and the M320 was laying in an open hard case on the next bench. Shooter comes over, looks at it. Flaps his gums about what a nice looking 22 that is and asks it it's for sale? Sure, make an offer. He offered a hundred dollars. Told him to triple it and we'd start a proper dicker. He laughed, said he guessed I wasn't giving it away.

Got lucky years ago and picked up an extra NIB Win. mag for it at a gun show. Same mag as the original Kimbers, but they're pretty scarce these days. Best part, mine still shoots close to half inch groups at 50 with Mini Mags. Just like it did over 30 years ago. Since I got the RAR, that's pretty much taken it's place. Don't wanta scuff up the Winchester.

triple k makes 10 rounders for them, you have to file off a little of the rear tab but they work great

Here was 10 shots at 50 with some cci standards with me not really trying. I still have the heavy trigger too. I've read about spring change for the 320 but I just dont want to mess with it. I think it was a hair over 0.8. Never tried really good stuff in it.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by killerv; 03/17/21.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
141 members (257 mag, 32_20fan, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 257robertsimp, 11 invisible), 1,456 guests, and 774 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,589
Posts18,397,897
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.