Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
yea, I think 1 1/16 is standard size

You have to have a cheater bar or an impact wrench.

I had ceiling clearance so I didn't need a flexible one

I talked about doing it a couple of years ago and the resident plumber expert gave me schit for it on here. It was like $13, so it was cheap insurance even if it didn't help.

supposedly if you change them out once in a while and flush the tank , your water heater will have much longer extended life.

Last edited by KFWA; 02/24/21.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
GB1

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
I put one in a BRAND NEW tank. (I wanted a different one, to stop possibility of sulfur smell). Tried a breaker bar (with cheater) and it wasn’t happening. The impact wrench was the ONLY way to get it out.

https://www.amazon.com/About-Fluid-...mp;psc=1&refRID=ADR0QE67PS8RAXS2D0Q1

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
We replaced both of ours after 11 years. The most used water heater essentially had no anode left. The other one had about 25% left. Both are 80 gallon tanks. I will be replacing both in a couple of months. Flip the breaker to the water heater, turn off the water, remove anode, drain the tank, flush the tank and then reinstall, fill with water and energize. I have two flexible 44" magnesium anodes to put in the tanks.

N
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
N
This tool helps immensely. They can be fun to get out. Worst part is draining the tank down. My apologies. Way wrong tool.

Last edited by Nollij; 02/24/21.

"Their minds are dead" - Carmine Ricca
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Unless your water stinks like a cheap beer and pickled egg fart I’d treat it like a sore pecker and not 9uck with it.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by KFWA

I talked about doing it a couple of years ago and the resident plumber expert gave me schit for it on here.

feel free to bump that thread up,

proof positive homeowners can be their own worst enemy.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Nollij
This tool helps immensely. They can be fun to get out. Worst part is draining the tank down.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I'm sorry, but I have no idea where your going with this,

Valve wrench?
for water heaters?

N
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by Kenneth
Originally Posted by Nollij
This tool helps immensely. They can be fun to get out. Worst part is draining the tank down.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I'm sorry, but I have no idea where your going with this,

Valve wrench?
for water heaters?

Yup. Sorry. Posted the wrong tool. That one is for the elements. 1-1/16" for the anodes.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It's a cheese dick element removing tool that you'd be wasting your time with attempting to remove a stubborn anode.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Birdwatcher

pay attention....you may have to do this one day

IC B3

N
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by JeffA
It's a cheese dick element removing tool that you'd be wasting your time with attempting to remove a stubborn anode.

Yup. You're right. It would be a bad idea for an anode. Brain disconnected tonight.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I had one of those sacrificial anodes in my hydronic furnace. I took it out and threw it down in the woods.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by fburgtx
I put one in a BRAND NEW tank. (I wanted a different one, to stop possibility of sulfur smell). Tried a breaker bar (with cheater) and it wasn’t happening. The impact wrench was the ONLY way to get it out.

https://www.amazon.com/About-Fluid-...mp;psc=1&refRID=ADR0QE67PS8RAXS2D0Q1

And they are about 25 bucks at Home Dumbo.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Kenneth

I talked about doing it a couple of years ago and the resident plumber expert gave me schit for it on here.

feel free to bump that thread up,

proof positive homeowners can be their own worst enemy.

now I remember who it was

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Stan V
Never replaced one. But installed a Rheem 5 yrs ago and it's in great shape, but that anode may be shot. Anything more than removing the anode and screwing new one in....I've seen where the removal can be the worst.

An older retired gentleman comes around every few years and replaces mine, the anode is at the top of the heater and just looks like the top of a bolt from the outside.
Each time he has been here I checked the anode and it was shot with pretty much just the steel remaining, for what it is worth pick up an anode that has grooves machined in to it so that you can bend sections to get it in tight spaces, as most are generally under a low-ish ceiling...or not as the case may be.

It will be a few years before I require another as we put in a new 400 litre heater last year.

They are generally listed on ebay.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
They're hard as hell to break loose

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
yea, I think 1 1/16 is standard size

You have to have a cheater bar or an impact wrench.

I had ceiling clearance so I didn't need a flexible one

I talked about doing it a couple of years ago and the resident plumber expert gave me schit for it on here. It was like $13, so it was cheap insurance even if it didn't help.

supposedly if you change them out once in a while and flush the tank , your water heater will have much longer extended life.

Yup. That's what the purpose of the anode is. It attracts the corrosive elements that will rust your Water Heater out

Stan V Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Called Rheem to get part # and then decided to order the anode while speaking to a very nice customer service lady. Asked the usual questions, you the homeowner?, serial number of unit, address, etc, why did I need the anode? Was the old one leaking? No ma'am, precautionary as I'm checking since I hit the 5 year mark in April. Ok, this will ship out FedEx, you'll get tracking # and it should arrive at your door step within 3 days. No charge. Warranty

Working from home due to covid they can't take CC's over their home phones.

All American

All the time
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

539 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1lesfox, 1Longbow, 11point, 12344mag, 48 invisible), 2,517 guests, and 1,233 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,360
Posts18,468,961
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.